The Lexicon PCM80/81 Morphing Spirals (Holy stuff!!!)

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by italo de angelis, Dec 7, 2017 at 3:36 PM.

1. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Vortex can't do this!

Listen, guess, wonder, talk about it... here.

Delays Morphing Spirals

mqqse, amphog, Joern Venaas and 2 others like this.
  2. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

It's always really nice to hear some new, refreshing sounds from a machine that's been disregarded by so many moderns. It's been proven time and time again that the PCM is quite simply one of the most formidable weapons one can possess in creating auras that simply wrap around your signal and bloom into the distance. It's such a great box.
    • Spiral 6_2 that is an interesting space with that rhythmic rumble. I bet this is super fun to play with when you're in that mood where you just want to hear that lingering verb go on and on. I haven't jumped too far into diffused delays with the Lexicon, but based on some of your presets, it's clear to me that this can be an outstanding reverb machine, just by harnessing the power of the taps and glides. It might be cool to send those into a verb in series.

• Spiral 5_4 is cool with those delays dancing around the stereo field. I played this one LOUD on the headphones and that nice phasing that's going on really adds a sort of mystery, doesn't it? Really cool sound, really cool playing. That one's got some dreams tucked inside of it.

• Spiral 3_1 you can really hear things delays shifting patterns now. You can hear the electricity under there, can't you? Especially when they morph and phase in and out. There's some weird, unpredictable sh_t going on, if you REALLY listen to the details in there.
    What I am mostly jealous of is that you've been able to play these sounds at home in your studio with verbs and delays from other stellar machines...a good man.

3. Saint Luminus

Saint Luminus Member

Guess what? I actually understand what you are talking about in your description. :)

Very different sounds indeed! Lovely!

4. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

A good man? Holy F__K! I'm not THAT old! :eek:

To tell you the truth, yes I could feed those sounds thru some nuts caressing reverbs and rejoice in the glory of that...
    But I haven't even tried it.
    Why?
    Well... it's the nature of the "morphing" thing there, making things change and creating subtle details you have clearly heard thru the clips. That's where the ear gets caught.
    Reverb is also part of what these morphs can create. So adding an external reverb might interfere with some aspects... it should be a very in the background verb, tweaked for each morph and hopefully making sense.
    But yes, you heard the things in there, the unpredictable, the wild things, the quirks, the stuff making the sounds unique, not designed about top notch reverb or else... but becoming more of a textural painting of its own.
    I wonder what THESE things may sound like when processing sources with long sustained tones, like E_bow gtrs (should restart using mine!) and synths! That might be a revealing experience.
    The electricity, YES!!!! That's the ****, Billy! "I Sing The Body Electric" as the poet said...
    So... morphing 2.0? We'll see...

working on glided delays morphing into reverb (nor reverb algos based, obviously)!

5. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

I couldn't possible guess what others may guess!
    :eeks

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 11:20 AM
  6. Saint Luminus

Saint Luminus Member

Now that I understand Glide, I listened and read the descriptions in your video. I was like :eeks:eeks Ohhh I completely understand what he's saying here! I wouldn't have been able to say that a month ago. :banana

7. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Good! But the more you tweak glide the better you're going to master it. It can be tedious and sometimes you'll make it go to hell and just use regular modulation. Then you come back at it and you hear why you did.
    It's a bit of a love/hate thing as it's not as precisely controllable as one would want it to be... but hey... you can do MORPHING with it... and those "in between" dark spots... where some unpredictable **** happens? That's when you realize how gliding opens up a whole universe of sound design.

So... SLIDE THE GLIDE, bro!!!

8. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

I'm still at this and it's such a punk ass... I know I always have limited time, but I was really hoping to be further than I am already. I've got a week off of work between Christmas and New Year's Day. I will learn the glide and I will finally create my random reverb...

9. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

it really does take serious time for me to arrive at a place where I'm good with a preset i have been working on. something i don't usually seem to have enough of!!

btw great sounds Italo!

10. mqqse

mqqse Silver Supporting Member

Just great, now I gotta hunt down one of those.