• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

The Live Music vs Studio Music poll

Which do you generally like better

• A well recorded live show

• A studio album

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm one of those annoying people who doesn't see his/her option in the poll.

As much as I'd love to see Boards of Canada play live, they are a studio-only band. And there are lots of other one-off/limited scope projects which were created in the studio by artists who happen to be friends but not in band together or artists who are similarly not situated to be in a regular live band together. Example: David Torn's various studio collaborations.

Live recordings are great, but they pale in comparison to seeing the artist at a show in person.

nnick

I prefer studio albums to live albums most of the time. I prefer to be at a venue seeing and hearing a band live than listening to a recorded concert.

gixxerrock

There are lots of examples where the live version of a song is way better than the studio version, but in general, I prefer listening to studio recordings vs. live recordings.

I prefer the energy and excitement of live music, it just doens't translate as well when recorded.

Let's see:

Level 42's studio album w/ Allan Holdsworth on lead guitar vs. Level 42 live with another lead guitarist trying to replicate Allan's parts - Studio Wins

Steely Dan's studio version of "Bodhisattva" vs. the live version on their boxed set - the drunken MC's announcement in the live version plus Michael McDonald's vox and keys takes the live version over the top - Live Wins

Me'shell Ndegeocello's Bitter album with Torn in the studio vs. her live shows with Fuze on lead guitar - Both win

Squarepusher's studio masterpieces vs. Squarepusher live - Both win - dude is just as amazing live as he is in the studio.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
I prefer the energy and excitement of live music, it just doens't translate as well when recorded.
Almans at the Filmore
Wes Montgomery Smoking at the Half Note
Pat Martino Live at Yoshi's
SRV Live at the Mocambo
KISS Live Alive (okay, maybe not that one :D)

B_of_H

If a band isn't better live than on a record then I probably don't like them (with a few exceptions)

gixxerrock

Almans at the Filmore
Wes Montgomery Smoking at the Half Note
Pat Martino Live at Yoshi's
SRV Live at the Mocambo
KISS Live Alive (okay, maybe not that one :D)
Jazz (and other improvisational music) is one exception where live recordings can translate way better than studio. I agree that some of the live SRV releases have some great playing.

I saw SRV the same year he did Mocambo, and I can honestly say the live experience was waay more exciting than watching it on TV ;)

Trending Topics