The LOUDEST amp you currently own

bigben55

What is it? And let's be honest....when is the last time you gigged it CRANKED? If not cranked, at its MAX clean headroom level?

I'll go first. It's a 1966 Fender Super Reverb, and I've NEVER gigged it cranked. One time, in the past 5 years, I was lucky to get the volume knob to 3.5, and it was incredible! But, it hasn't left my house in over 2 years, so...

carbz

Supporting Member
Well I've only got two amps at the moment. The louder one clearly being my Budda Amp. It's blasting loud especially for a 20 watt amp. I use an attenuator with it being a home player only.

KenMorgan

Currently? 71 Twin - which has never gigged since complete rebuild, new tubes/caps 20 months ago.

Yes, it’s for sale

Ever? 100 watt Marshall way back when...

rah3

Gold Supporting Member
Lee Jackson designed Ampeg VL-1002. The amp is one of a batch Lee and his team wired. 4 6550's. It's ear-bleeding into a 4-12. Luckily, it has built-in attenuation, and 2 channels with separate reverb levels. Great sounding amp. Not my main, just for the rare use when huge clean headroom is required. I play Alessandro High End amps, which are also loud for 20 watt Class A amps.

Tootone

The loudest I have is a Boss Katana 100, but to be honest, at full volume it is highly painful, nee harmful to your ears. The 100 watts is really there as "headroom"... for loud cleans without distorting/overdriving.

However, a much more sensible "loud" is my Vox AC30. When its cranked it really screams, absolutely no headroom on these amps. The 2x15w Alnico Blues and the 30w Power Output belies how loud this bad boy gets. I heard its because the 2x12 "moves a lot of air". Put it this way, its a lot louder than my 40 watt Blues Deluxe.

I'm sure a 100w Marshall with a 4x12 would blow it away... but unless you play arenas, what opportunity would you ever have to crank it?

Aslan

Silver Supporting Member
Jim Kelley Reissue amp, this is the loudest 60 watts I have ever played on! Good news is you can switch down to 30 watts if needed, also I have the JK attenuator. I plug a PRS Hollowbody II into the Jim Kelley amp and this is a match made in heaven.

RAG7890

Silver Supporting Member
‘68 JMP50 in to 412’s with either GB’s or V30’s, so the V30 Cab would be the loudest due to efficiency.

However, we are finishing a 30W EL34 Class A Head that will probably be way louder.

:beer

ctreitzell

Fender CyberTwin(s)
occasionally I play them at 6 or 7
every once in a while over 8
usually they are at 3-5
I use an ipad remote control for the master volume; set the masters to 6 and adjust as I play (usually quieter)
never gigged with it; I am out in the sticks

Laurence

Silver Supporting Member
61 Showman. First issue Sovtek Mig-60 modded to Marshall 1987 spec. Used to be a Sunn Model T, but sold it. Used to be a Fender Super 6 Reverb, but sold it as well.

goodertone

Another Budda, SD80II.

We play Sabbath, Metallica, etc. Our drummer is Bam Bam. Bassist cranks through an Ampeg 6x10. I've never had the master past 9 o'clock.

bigben55

What do you set your SR at? And wheres your guitar volume? Are your gigs miced?

68 Superbass gets used every couple months if it’s in a hall, theater or outdoors.
66 Super Reverb is the day in day out gigging amp.

Trending Topics