The LOVE for EL84 amps thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rock Fella, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

Whats it about EL84 amps, be they head versions or in combo form that just grabs our attention.

My own EL84 amp is a hand made Cornford PTP EL84 35 watt head. When you play clean, she just positively chimes, add some reverb and youve got warm tones that are sweet, never harsh and just positively ring out. Change over to driven tones and those EL84`s yield tones that just ooze fatness. Again, ice pick sounds are never part of the equation . Notes bloom as notes should, sustain is endless and the overally complexity of notes attainable will please both the player and the listener.

My own personal thoughts on why EL84 amps are popular is because they dont rely on earth shaking volume and concerning themselves purely with metal tones. They reach out beyond this and can be used in reggae, jazz comping and a whole host of other applications, much more versatile than your typical metal amp .

I love the El84 tone because it is simply so sweet, tones from the gods are there at usable volumes and attenuators arent really part of the equation, you want huge volumes, mic it and run thru a PA.

What EL84 amp do you have and tell us why you love it.

jimmy

2. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I wish I hadn't of sold my Titan. It was downright Godly in nature.:(

3. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

but say what attributes made it so.

4. Ldavey

Ldavey Silver Supporting Member

Just reminded me of the EL-84 Ampfest afternoon from a bit over a year ago; took place near Wolf Trap park in VA. Haven't retraced the full thread, but the were some great demos by the owners. Was a pretty successful event, I thought. And I enjoyed reviewing it on DVD.
    Larry

Posted by Babaji on 08-10-2004 03:34 pm: EL-84 Ampfest DVD

That's right...The EL-84 Ampfest DVD is now available! Wait a minute...I guess this is SPAM! Oh well... Hear a bevy of EL-84 amps:

Maz 38 senior
    Aiken Invader
    Matchless JJ(?)
    Vox AC30HW
    Constellation
    Guytron
    4 input AC30
    Trainwreck Liverpool
    and more!

Hear Gear page members demo them! The DVD is available for $6.(including shipping by mail) Want one? email me @ bhvsound@vintagesound.com

5. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

First off, the clean channel was just shimmery and buttery. It was a strat amp if there ever was one. It was 36 watts, so it could go pretty loud and still stay clean. Secondly the TMB channel was like a juiced up Marshall with some Voxish qualities. You could go pretty high gain without any preamp fizz. Both channels were just balls to the wall when you run the amp on 10.

There is something inherent in the way that EL84's break up that captures my soul.

Mr. Reinhardt is building me a 50 watter 2 channel EL34 amp at the moment, and I am so excited I can barely stand it!:cool:

6. bscepter

bscepter Member

After getting the Vox bug, I can certainly count myself amongst the EL84 faithful. While I wait for my Valvetech, I've been playing a friend's Gibson GA30RV, which runs a quartet of EL84s. It sounds really good, too.

Who'da thunk them tiny tubes could sound so big!

7. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I own 8 amps 5 of which are EL84 amps so I guess you could say I agree.

Aiken Tomcat
    London 65
    '62 Vox AC30
    Bad Cat Trem Cat
    Blockhead Firstborn

Chuck

8. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

Sweet reverb and tremelo. Add el84 tone breathing wide open volume and voila! - magic...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Unburst

Unburst Member

I have a '64 AC30 which is killer, has chime galore and crunches up beuatifully.
    Has a great warmth to the drive and lower mid emphasis which enhances sustain without sounding very distorted.

My other EL84 amp is my secret weapon, a Fender Pro Jnr.
    I have it rigged out with Mullards and run it through either an '80's Marshall 2x12 or '70's 4x12.
    It's hard to say why I like it so much but it responds like an instrument to me, it has a great "natural" voice and a wide transition from clean to overdrive.

In the last five years I'd say 90% of the recording I've done has been with this amp.

10. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

I'm with you guys.............

my amps are:

Blockhead Firstborn 18
    Alessandro High End English
    Matchless "Hot Rod" HC30

:cool:

11. stratofied

stratofied Member

Love the el84 for sure.

Bruno UG30 R
    Divided by 13 ERT 33

12. thinline

thinline Member

I currently own:

Sommatone Roaring 20 1x12 Combo
    Fender Pro Junior

I use to own:

Budda Twinmaster 2x12 Combo
    THD Univalve Head w/ EL84 Yellowjacket

I find EL84 amps sound warm and rich with great note definition/clarity whether playing clean or crunchy.

:AOK

13. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I've got three EL84 amps. . .

Matchless DC30--my favorite amp

Bad Cat Hot Cat 15--awesome gain channel and what's better is the clean channel dimed. . .sounds like an old vintage amp about to break apart.

Vox AC15--2 X 10. Great amp. . .surprisingly, very clean. The speakers don't break up like 12 inchers for some reason.

14. KRay

KRay Member

Marshall 2061x is my El-84 keeper.

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Isn't the 2061x a 6V6 amp?

Anyway, Traynor Guitarmate, Trace Velocette, Matchless DC30, Vox AC30 and AC30HW, Kalamazoo Model 12, "Voice of Music" PA mod, Watkins Westminster, 18w Clone-yup, like those little suckers and their clean chime and distorted grind.

16. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

Both of my amps are powered by 2 EL84 brats...........
    My Goodsell Clairmont Super 17 is wired PTP, GZ34 rectified with an Eminence Private Jack in a deep, semi-open back pine and birch cab....the harmonic break-up of the GE 84's is very sweet with an ATTITUDE...(make sence???)...after hearing Scumbags clips, I am going to have to have one of his 75Hz M's to compliment this MOJO machine...........
    My other amp is a Traynor YCV20WR, SS rectified with a Greenback stock from the factory....just now getting a grip on this thang...canned all of the Sovteks and have a '68 RCA grey plate AX7 in V1, a '56 Mullard AX7 in V2, and '63 Mullard 84's in the power position...can't really say how good it sounds yet 'cause the GB is so friggin' tight....need to put put some serious hard playing time on it.....Found a nice feature tho...you can mute the internal speaker (the GB) and run a speaker cable from the headphone out to the GB or the Emi PJ and get the power tube break-up vibe at very quiet bedroom levels just like you can with a Marshall Studio 15.....

17. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I've owned several EL-84 amps, London, Bruno UG30 and Tweedy Pie, Vox (various) and others and swore I would never buy one again. Something that bothered me in the frequencies. BUT, I decided one last time to try one and bought a Constellation and I am hooked! In fact, I'm getting a second on Monday. I love these amps, perfect volume through a Marshall 4x12 and very fat and articulate. Now my EL34 amps seem harsh and peaky! Go figure. :cool:

18. 1964

1964 Member

I used to be solely into EL84 amps, but now I'm torn between godly EL84 tone and possibly even more godly 6V6 tone. I’ve never thought much of EL34 amps, I prefer the 6L6 in higher-powered amps. Even the Marshalls that I like are almost invariably EL84 or 6L6 powered.

19. fatback

fatback Member

I just found this locally off Craiglist this week:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's an early '66, all tube. (2 x el-84) transitional Vox, Cambridge Reverb 1x10 combo. The Trem is nice, the reverb is ok, but dime, er 6 ;), the volume and beautiful creamy compressed gain comes pouring out of the amp. It just loves Teles, and no wonder, the amp came with a letter from Will Ray stating that he used the amp on a couple of Hellecasters albums. The seller was very sly about this, only telling me excactly who owned it and giving me the letter after I'd bought the amp. It was a cool surprise and a nice bonus. I was buying the amp just for it's amazing tone, but it has some history also. Goodness, this little guy has me loving el-84's!:D

20. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

I was allways a 6l6 guy until I shared the stage with a guy who played EL84 AMPS,Bad Cat Top Hat and Budda. I bought an old Peavey C30 and then converted my Boogie and Fender amps to El84 via GT Substitubes. Now I am trying to decide between an AC30CC, Mesa LS Classic or a DR Z Maz 18. I don't miss the big tubes at all. The el84 sound seems to be more urgent,and alive.I find it perfect for the volumes that I am playing at now with 15/30 watts versus the 50/60 watt 6l6 amps that I used to gig with.