The Lovetone Lounge!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StompboxMan, May 15, 2006.

1. StompboxMan

StompboxMan Member

Lovetone has made some of the most innovated pedals since 1995. Few effect companies can see resale of their pedals double and triple in value.

www.lovetone.com/pedals.html

Here at the Lovetone Lounge we can share pedal settings, combination and tricks.

Here's a trick to expand your Doppelganger2's LFO 1 sweep time from 16 sec. to approx 5 mins, 35 sec for LFO 2 and both LFO's on the original Doppelganger, the model without the slow

Solder a 1.5 megohm resistor into a mono jack plug (i.e. across the tip and sleeve contacts) and insert that into your Doppelgangers' Pedal 1 socket, selecting "slow" on your LFO switch This should yield a very slow LFO rate of approx 5 mins per cycle. So make two jacks to hear your DG in a new way!

The Rate pot doesn't do much on the DG V2 LFO 1 with Slow switch when you have a large 1.5 megohm resistor in the jack plug. Smaller value resistor gives faster rate, and vice-versa.

Special Thanks to Dan Coggins the designer of all Lovetone pedals for his tip on expanding the Doppelganger's LFO rate. Dan sells and services Lovetone pedals, his Dinosaural Tube Bender and others at www.dinosaural.com

2. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Quiet here, huh?

I had a Meatball. Never had much use for it though. The Doppelganger is something I wish I had invested in. Can you get Mutron type phase sounds out of it?

3. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

i have the meatball and ring stinger clones. as well as the wobulator clone (which i will maybe sell one day soon).. the QM flanger i had originaly but sold it *duh!

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

well, I just got a brand new Meatball yesterday, very hard to get useable sounds out of it, which is why I love it soooo much, I like using it together with my murf which also arrived yesterday. Does the meatball need the reverse polarity power supply? If so, were can I get them and how much are they, cause Im running it with my PP2+ now and it doesnt seem to be working, but when I use it alone it works with the PP2+... Some of the sounds I get from It I simply LOVEEEE...hence the name LOVEtone...haha, I am now saving up for a Dopppelganger and a ringstinger.

5. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I like the addition of this thread - a crossover from the HC boards?

Regardless - definately needed!

I've got a Ringstinger and i think its just grand. Definately not the smooth, usable analog Ring Mod like the Moog, but weird in its own right. Not sure if i'd be able to use it live, but since i'm just a bedroom tweaker for now, its ok!

Brian

6. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

trumpus- how are you powering your lovetone unit?

7. trumpus

Standard Boss adapter- 9V tip negative.

Not sure if its the same for the Meatball though.

Brian

8. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I had trouble powering my Meatball with an adaptor. It kept humming really bad so I ended up using batteries.

9. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

is the boss 9v negative top the normal one?

10. MrSage

MrSage Member

I need a doppelganger. Maybe I'll get one someday soon.

11. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

lol,...I need a doppelganger...well I do too, I also need the ringstinger, and add that to my meatball and Id say Im doing well...

12. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Doppelganger was the only Lovetone I was ever interested in... almost got a hell of a deal on one awhile back ($600US for v.2) but the seller took it out of the box... tried it and remembered why he fell in love with it all over again.

I've got a Prophecy Sound Infinitphase MKII coming to me in the next couple of months... so I'm hoping that'll help subside my phase needs.

...but I doubt it.

-TJK

13. MrSage

MrSage Member

I just tried offering $600 shipped to someone for a V2, but they weren't interested. It ended up selling on eBay for $590 + $10 shipping.
    :jo

(I went out to dinner and forgot to snipe it!)

14. trumpus

I would say - take time to figure out the Meatball before you delve into the Ring Stinger. My impression of you from the HC forums and your posts around here, is that you a fairly impulsive, beginner guitar player. If you are having trouble figuring out how to correctly power up the Meatball, i'd say it will take you some time to coax the sounds out of it that you want. The Ring Stinger is this to the nth degree. It's not a matter of "set it and forget it" - in that it takes some tweaking and patience to get usable sounds out of it. It is a much more finicky effect than some of the others you use...

Not trying to sound condesending (though i'm sure it sounds that way), but realistically, i'm not sure you're going to fully "get" these pedals...

Brian

15. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Oh man... that sucks... I wish I would have seen that... and $590... thats it? Geesh... I feel so hollow inside.

-TJK

16. HBob

HBob Member

I've tried a few Lovetone pedals ( Meatball, Big Cheese, Cheese Source, Doppelganger, Brown Source ) and decided to keep the Meatball and Big Cheese. The Brown Source was just too subtle to justify the price tag. The Doppelganger never sounded that great to me but the Big Cheese and Meatball are on the never sell list for sure.

17. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

NO KIDDING!!!! I thought the pedal was broken, honestly. Could hardly tell the pedal was on .....

18. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I've owned them all, some of the twice. The only one I miss real bad is the Big Cheese. The others were great, but way too much for my needs.

19. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Wow! The Brown Source is one of my most favorite pedals, EVER. I will never get rid of this pedal. It's beauty lies in highly tweak-able subtlety. I will leave it to my son in my will. Tele > Brown Source > amp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does it for me.

Different zone entirely (well, maybe not so very different) but I love it for the same reasons I love the Honey Bee.

Seriously, I can't believe you didn't 'appreciate' the Brown Source. My experience has been so very great with this pedal both into VOX and Fender Black face amps.

I also love the Cheese . . . . . the Dop and the Meatball - a bit less self-evident for me.

20. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Man, Im realy starting to get the hang of my Meatball, Im starting to get some cool and actually useable sounds out of it now! My GAS for the ring stinger is soooo bad, and Id buy one if there was one for sale. Anyone ever notice how the Lovetones (cough, cough, Doppelganger,cough, cough) never sell on ebay, I mean the dude whos selling the Dopp. For $850 has had it up there for a few months, he also has some way huge that have been on sale for ever. Where can I get a ring stinger?!?!?!...btw, theres a ? flange going on ebay.