The Magica is Crazy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Agent76, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Agent76

Agent76 Member

I don't know how they did this but they did. That's all that needs to be said.

I went with the same Mojo silver matrix grill, silver piping, and black tolex as the Blackverb I had. Its got the Scumback H75-LD in it. Ive had it for a month now.

It's crazy.

Here's the cleanly cropped pic Keith sent me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wilto, Toowoombaus, Darkburst and 2 others like this.
  2. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

How do the cleans compare to the cleans on the BV?
    I was just playing my BV, wife out of the house, on lunch from work. Going back and forth between the beautiful dead clean of full power and the just a little bit of grit of both power settings turned down. Dang I forgot to play the OD channel today, I was so wrapped up in that, lol.
    I got pretty much the same look, looks even better in person.

3. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf Silver Supporting Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Magica has been a favorite of mine at the LA Amp show these past few years.

Agent76 and mrwhipple like this.
  4. tritone 6

tritone 6 Silver Supporting Member

The Magica is awesome. It just has so much going on. Insane cleans, insane Marshall inspired singing drive.

Lead 1 is the channel I'm really digging, because you have the great BF style clean channel and you go to lead 1 that can either be Plexi-ish marshall-y clean(ish) or hit it hard and it's a great crunch overdrive.

Then lead 2 can be more 800'ish or slightly modern gain, IF you go past noon on the drive.
    It sings but if you dial it back with the gain knob or your guitar volume, somehow it has more of a vintage flavor to it.
    I keep discovering more tones, within each channel.

It's really a special amp.

If there is a Swiss army amp, this is it. Except I don't feel like you are sacrificing great individual tone in exchange for its great versatility.

sugarlou, Agent76 and mrwhipple like this.
  5. jguitarslim

jguitarslim Silver Supporting Member

Fantastic amp!

bbaug14 and Agent76 like this.
  6. otolathe

otolathe Supporting Member

I've gigged mine twice now, and it is a keeper. Might be able to sell a bunch of my other ones, now. One Amp to Rule Them All!

Agent76 and Crash-VR like this.
  7. Agent76

Agent76 Member

The cleans are actually quite similar which is whats nuts then you hit the lead button and you really feel like youre on a JMP or whatever and lead 2 button gives you more with independent EQ settings. I setup my Blackverb in a manner to make it as Marshally as possible which is why I had the idea to get a Magica. If I could have played both amps side by side I would have picked the Magica. A lot of people are the opposite and want that Blackverb / Blackline style distortion.

They did a hell of a job picking peoples brains.

I havent thought about gear or pedals or guitars Ive just been playing. Ive spent so much time over the past 7 years totally thinking about the wrong stuff spending money on these pickups or those pickups or these magnets or those magnets and this pedal or that pedal. Ive been so far off base. Its actually almost sad but not really, sad stuff is sad, this is just an amp.

That being said...

I could play this thing until I die. I should buy a duplicate and store it in an underground bomb shelter just in case a meteorite crashes on my house or my house burns down or someone robs me or the Kraken comes out of my toilet or aliens battle the Justice League or something...

Im in that process right now, Friedman Small Box already went to a friend. I just need a mid size combo thats loud enough to gig and sounds great, oh thats my Magica. Well I guess I could use a head / cab setup for no reason at all. Maybe thats what Ill buy and store in a bomb shelter. Or maybe...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Crash-VR, jkr and tritone 6 like this.
  8. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

Yea, I am more of a Fender amp pushed kind of guys, so the BV was right up my alley. They actually built it more like the early ones, I sent them some links to some vids of guys using the BV on stage, said "like that". They had changed the snubbing caps on OD channel tube to roll off more high end (dumbly) on the newer ones and I wanted more snap. So, they did it, no problem.
    I was just playing the amp today, just a great sounding amp. And I have SF and BF amps here.

Agent76 and jkr like this.
  9. mrwhipple

mrwhipple Supporting Member

Henry and Keith out did themselves with the Magica. it was a sleeper for a while but i think the word has been getting out. absolutely fantastic amp. with as much grind as you can get from that drive channel, the notes and string separation really stand out well.

Agent76, otolathe and tritone 6 like this.
  10. jimpridx

jimpridx Supporting Member

Congrats on the Magica! I guess I had to be a bit selfish while ending up with both a Magica and a Blackline......LOL. I love 'em both!

Agent76 and tritone 6 like this.
  11. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Agent76: When I played the Magica at the LA Amp Show in October, I thought it had all the features for a great club amp. And thanks for the H75-LD confirmation, I was thinking of that speaker upgrade when I tried it there at the show.

Agent76 likes this.
  12. Agent76

Agent76 Member

I read about the Magica more than others prior to my first purchase. I was like oh this cant really be like this because of blah blah and blah. When I got the Blackverb I was amazed at the versatility of that thing, especially with the presence up a bit and the gain knob pulled out. I was like hell I bet the Magica really does what it says. I was using my Purple Plexi to supplement the drive sound, which was great. It may sound silly to read that I think one is great but I got rid of it for something else. The Magica is perfect for me, Ill buy that new Fulldrive and unless it sucks which I doubt it will I wont really need any other dirt pedals, other than a Big Muff of course.

Red Plate doesnt mess around. Those guys know how to build amps. Ive bought Dr Zs, Bad Cats, Mesas, Friedmans and while they were very good they lacked that thing I was looking for tonally or they lacked utlity. I would always sell the whatever amp and go back to a Mesa which Ive played the most out of any amp over the past 20 years and have developed sort of a comfort zone with. The Small Box was an amp that was suiting me just fine. The Blackverb was me trying to step up to a better sounding Mesa. The Magica was me hitting a bullseye. I always thought I would need a Fendery style amp and a Marshally style amp because of tech reasons that I thought were unbreakable rules. I guess were in a modern era and you get someone who really knows what they are doing to experiment a bit and they end up doing something unthinkable.

I know theres other companies on a top level with builders that can do amazing things. I was starting to look into those. Red Plate was the first company I picked. I looked at the manuals for all their amps and I saw a ton of potential. I looked at the build quality and there was extra effort there, above even "boutique" amps that might have similar build style. Like a poster mentioned above if you have a certain sound in mind they will swap some components and tailor it to your taste which I had read a few instances of in the past or they will just take a design and totally customize it for you. The oval open back with open top is a totally new thing to me. I really dont know how much the circuit design in general or just a capacitor or two or the large dustcap speaker is attributing to all this but the amp has a nice full low end ESPECIALLY for a mid size 1x12. The Small Box was a larger amp but just didnt have that. I even put an M75-LD in it over the summer. Jim @ Scumback will know whats going on with that I just know what i hear.

Douglas858, ripgtr and mrwhipple like this.
  13. jguitarslim

jguitarslim Silver Supporting Member

FWIW when I had mine ran it thru 112 w/ Scum J75 speaker…

14. jbonanad

jbonanad Member

How does the magica compares to the Smallbox for plexi like sounds? And how about touch sensitivity?

15. Agent76

Agent76 Member

Comparable. The Small Box can hammer on a clean note forever and it has a lot of dynamics. We're talking about really good stuff here. The Marshall tones can come down to preference. To me it either has it or it doesnt and they both have it. Marshall experts would know a lot more than me about particulars.

The Blackverb could be a bit more sensitive than the Magica although I may have just gotten used to playing that style of amp. I did change my picking attack and technique over the course of a week or so when I got it back in late Spring. Maybe its the same. I sold the Blackverb back to Red Plate on a partial trade / cash deal and waited for the Magica to be built so I didnt A/B them.

The Kelley Reverb and the Z Wreck are also two very sensitive amps this is part of their design. I had the Small Box before a Red Plate and I didnt really adjust my picking hand. I guess comparable is a solid answer. Im not sure Dave had any reason to shoot for super sensitivity on the Small Box. I think I heard that the Phil X is the most touch sensitive Friedman but I might have that incorrect. The Small Box is a bit more laid back compared to the Brown Eye. So I guess thats a lot of different comparisons. lol The first word in the post might be the best answer.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    jbonanad likes this.
  16. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

I love RedPlates. Nobody has the build quality, features, tonal quality, and price ratio like they do. They have it down. Direct sales helps I'm sure. I would own a 100 watt Magica if it weren't for my Wizard. Talk about a beast that can be tamed... Doesn't have all the features but man what a massive tone. Ideally I'll get a small cab Magica like yours for a grab and go down the road.

otolathe and Agent76 like this.
  17. Agent76

Agent76 Member

Yeah when I got my first one the small cab looked like an ideal size and I could add another 1x12 cab if desired. I based that off my experience with Dr Z 1x12s and when I got the Z Lux it was downsized a little from his standard size. It came in his newer whatever (I forget) cab design, between the studio and the standard cabs.

18. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

I really love the RedPlate Magica. This and the Landry LS-100 G3 and M50 are my favorite tube amp channel switchers.

19. jimpridx

jimpridx Supporting Member

I ended up having a friend build me a matching cab for those times when I need to add another speaker. It can be used with either the Magica or the Blackline combos, or it'll work with just a head.

[​IMG]

Agent76, jkr, tritone 6 and 1 other person like this.
  20. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

What makes you choose the H75-LD?

Josh

Scumback Speakers likes this.