The Magica is Crazy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Agent76, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Agent76

Agent76 Member

Cool, I really like that setup!

I got that for my Blackverb. I like the H magnet Greenback and also the H magnet Creamback. I like large dust cap speakers (G12-65, CL-80, WGS ET65). I usually play with high gain, decided to give it a whirl. I really have no idea what the exact sonic difference would be vs the regular H75, likely not all that much. When I shipped my Blackverb to Red Plate I actually forgot I swapped out the speaker, or rather just wasnt thinking about it. It came with a G12-65. When the Blackverb got back to Red Plate Keith was like you wanna use that H75-LD I bet it would sound really good. So there it is.

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Every amplifier is unique. Each one has to be evaluated individually based on it's sonic/tonal signature.

3. jkr

jkr Supporting Member

I got the Magica a week ago. Let's just say, so far, this amp delivers. I'm a single channel non-master volume guy at heart but I find that all three channels sound good and work well with each other, which is not easy for a channel switcher. This amp works really well with adjustments on your volume knob. I could do a whole gig with just Drive channel 1 or 2 and use my volume knob (well, perhaps a drive pedal for a little extra gain if I only had Drive channel 1). Although this amps works well at home volumes (and takes pedals really well), I find it is an amp that actually shows its strength when you get it cooking somewhat. I have (and have had) other amps that can sound smoother at low home volumes but that's kind of where they are at their best and their compression and smoothness that is so nice to play at home doesn't translate well when competing with a drummer and bass player in a live setting. Turn up the Magica and play with a band, or even play along to music at home, and then you'll "get" why this amp is inspiring to play. As I said above, it also takes pedals really well. I played it for several years at the LA Amp Show before finally pulling the trigger. Interesting enough, it likes not only closed back cabs, but seems to really like open back cabs also. This makes sense since it quite often seems the Redplate amps are in a combo format. My other Marshall style boutique heads were clearly voiced for a closed back cabinet and don't sound too good with open back cabinets. While I really like closed back cabs, there's something nice about the open back cab (spread) in a live situation that helps the rest of the band hear you and helps fill up the room the sound. I have some closed and open back cabs so it's nice to have a rock amp that actually likes my open back cabs. Since I've only owned the amp for a week, I still consider myself in the honeymoon phase and still getting a feel for the amp. I was pleasantly surprised today how much I enjoyed playing it with a drummer. Once again, your volume knob is really interactive with this amp and allows a lot of expression. FYI, channel 2 on this amp rocks hard. It can do a darn good angry sounding JCM 800 as well as classic Marshall. I'm a classic rocker and could ride channel 1 all day with a boost, but it's fun to hit channel 2 and take it to another level. I look forward to playing this amp more and getting to know it better. So far, I'm really enjoying it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  4. Douglas858

Douglas858 Supporting Member

Just got this one yesterday. Completely blown away. I'm now selling my Friedman.

[​IMG]

Eric Heuschele, jkr, jimpridx and 3 others like this.
  5. tritone 6

tritone 6 Silver Supporting Member

Congrats! Nice rig
    You'll love it more and more the longer you have it.

jkr, jimpridx and Douglas858 like this.
  6. jbonanad

jbonanad Member

Congrats for the amp!! Wich Friedman are you comparing to? Could you elaborate the differences between the two?

Crash-VR likes this.
  7. Douglas858

Douglas858 Supporting Member

The small box 50. It's a cool amp but the tones in the Magica just suit me better.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  8. jimpridx

jimpridx Supporting Member

They're great amps! I got mine last summer, and it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

tritone 6 and jkr like this.
  9. otolathe

otolathe Member

Mine shipped with a G12-65 in it, but I just stuck an Alnico Gold in there for a little more upper midrange and +3 dB.

ProfRhino likes this.
  10. Pulf

Pulf Member

I have been considering a Magica, but probably would have to purchase without trial first, as I have no idea where to test one out. I've been amp searching and saving for a year or so now, and the Magica just came on my radar.

I am looking for a channel switcher with both clean and Marshall tones. Blackface clean would work perfectly, since I learned how to play on an old Deluxe Reverb.

My only concern is that the Magica will be too much of an amp for me. I mostly play small gigs. Bars, town hall style venues, restaurants, and the occasional outdoor small festival or beer garden. I figure I will probably have to grab a nice attenuator for both at home practice and the smaller venues.

The other amps I have considered are the Fargen DBC and the Mesa TC50. Out of all of them, I have only played the Mesa, and I think I am chasing a more Marshall sound.

11. suhrimmetal

suhrimmetal Supporting Member

The Magica is still my dream amp and I hope to grab one soon. I wouldn't worry about it being too much for you... Fantastic master volume and can switch from 50 to 18watts. Cheers and good luck.

jkr, jimpridx and Pulf like this.
  12. jimpridx

jimpridx Supporting Member

Since the master volume is very effective on the Magica, you wouldn't need to purchase an attenuator. Also, the majority of gigs that I play are small to medium sized venues, and I've never found the Magica or the Blackline to be too much of an amp. They have lots of volume on tap if you need it, but again, the MV can keep things in check at any volume.

ProfRhino and Pulf like this.
  13. Pulf

Pulf Member

Alright. That is great to know, thank you.

14. tritone 6

tritone 6 Silver Supporting Member

I play mine in my apartment all the time. Volume is very manageable.
    Great amp. Can cover a lot of ground.
    You'll love the clean channel, and 2 great flavors of Marshall.
    Super versatile with great functionality. Addictive to play

jkr and Pulf like this.
  15. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I don't know about the Fargen, but it's not really comparable to the TC50. I love the TC as well, but the Magica is just a different, fantastic amp. More vintage, great MV, great size, fantastic build quality.

jkr and Pulf like this.
  16. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Supporting Member

These new amps are great at low volume. I'm playing only small gigs and home with a 100 watt beast. Never a problem. Nice to have the headroom if you need it too. If you're playing clean outside then you need it.

jkr and tritone 6 like this.
  17. Pulf

Pulf Member

That was my one major issue with the TC. When I tested it, it had some very nice tones, but I think at this stage, I'm looking for something much more vintage voiced. I'll get something nice and modern down the road.

18. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

I still have my Magica and I'm an ampaholic. Amp flipping maniac.

jkr, televisual, tritone 6 and 3 others like this.
  19. Eric Heuschele

Eric Heuschele Member

I have a Magica T head with the Red Plate 1x12 (Creamback 65) and 2x12 cabs (Creamback 65/V30). I've always been a Celestion guy, but I just replaced the 1x12 Creamback with an Eminence Red Coat Governor. I am totally digging it and it's not even broken in. I like it so much that I bought two more to put in the 2x12. Anyone try that speaker?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Douglas858 likes this.
  20. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

I am not selling my mdd, I am not selling my mdd.

Am I buying a Magic and tell my girl she went crosseyed?

ProfRhino likes this.