The magnet fell off speaker frame....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kramerxxx, Apr 25, 2016.

1. kramerxxx

kramerxxx Member

Anyone ever have this happen to them before?

I had two of this brand of speaker mounted in a 4x12 cab. The cab fell over, on its back, the alnico magnet feel completely off one speaker, and appears to be misaligned on the other speaker of the same model. I had 2 old Celestion speakers mounted in the can with these other speakers, that went affected.

the manufacturer of the speaker said they have not havd this happen before and said it was going to cost me $80 to recone it, then when I get the bill, it is for $100.

I mount the speaker in the cab and something wasn't right. I isolate the two speakers and test them individually and the other one, the one I didn't send in, has as issue also.

Anyone ever have this happen? I have many cabs with all kinds of speakers, and have never experienced this, it heard of it before. I've had cabs fall over, fall out of trucks, get run into in the parking lot, but I've never heard of this.

This is an expensive alnico/hemp speaker.

2. zenas

zenas Member

Never from a cab getting hit but from the cat knocking a real C12N off the bench onto the floor. So a pretty good wack. Not the whole magnet just the pole piece.

Inside a cab? That seems a like the glues a little weak. To me anyway.

3. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I had a JBL D-120 magnet get shifted thus ruining the speaker when the amp fell on its back

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Aren't most alnico magnets a slug in the hole of the voice coil? In which case, was it perhaps the supportive frame that fell off the back of the speaker allowing the slug to shift? I'd love to know the speaker brand, because it's hard for me to visualize how this could happen... Could you take a pic of the back?

5. kimock

kimock Member

Yeah, it happens.

RussB likes this.
  6. kimock

kimock Member

I had a real nice old Altec since 1978, just about my favorite speaker ever.
    Lasted until about five years ago when Continental Airlines managed to drop it in its anvil case just exactly too right.
    Went into the case just as nice as always and came out sounding like kkkkkcccxhhhkkkkkkxzzzz k.

It was not recoverable.

Speaking of speakers and traveling by air, but unrelated to magnets, here's a really weird one.
    I flew to NYC, plugged in 80 watt Celestion cab, no sound.
    Reached in the back to flex the cone. No cone.

Flashlight through the grill revealed the cone inverted, literally facing backwards.
    Still attached at the surround but the voice coil completely out of the magnet, inside****ingout.
    So I laid it on its back, took the grill off and gently guided the voice coil back into the gap.

Worked fine, like nothing ever happened.
    I think at one point I actually had an explanation for that, but I've forgotten it.

7. Phletch

Phletch Member

8. hpharley90

hpharley90 Member

I had a magnet on my ASW Peacemaker in my Category 5 Tsunami that I bought new in June 2015 start to separate from the frame. I was getting a vibrating sound when I hit any note...the magnet didn't completely fall off but when I grabbed it, I could shake it a little.....brand new speaker arrives broken.....all is good now though.....

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016