The main benefit of having a reliced guitar

twoheadedboy

chick knocked mine off the stand at a gig, smashed on the stage, couple dings....but who could tell, since it already had a hundred other dings. Its nice not having to worry about the finish

You don't have to worry about the finish on a non-relic either. It's up to you.

willie k

Gold Supporting Member
We've all heard of camel toe, but is there a name for this?

Yes, but you can't really talk about it on TGP. Not that there's anything wrong with that....

_100295928.jpg

GreenKnight18

.....which is the only benefit.

The OP forgot one of the other main benefits, which is, of course, mentioning this on TGP and offending the anti-fake relic/pro-authentic wear types. This is the biggest guitar world equivalent of dumb personal preferences that certain people REALLY get riled up about even though it hardly ever personally affects you.

OMG, some stranger I will never meet is doing something that offends my sensibilities!!!!!:mad:

• pineapple on pizza
  • toilet paper roll direction
  • Coke vs. Pepsi
  • Apple vs. Windows (or Linux)
  • Dodge vs. Ford vs. Chevy

Devnor

I own and play a few relics. This idea that being able to "ding a relic and not care" isn't even on my radar.

I bought them because they sound and play great. I treat them the same care as I do my shiny, gaudy, quilt top beauties.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
The main benefit of owning a relic is that there isn't another one that's just like it that isn't a relic. Particularly not that you're likely to find.

Not because of the relic job, just because.

Fons

:D...and then some pay thousands of Dollars for a Custom Shop replica to have THE EXACT SAME guitar as David Gilmour or SRV with all the minuscule little dings and scratches in it...

...and then the proud owner drops it on the floor and it is ruined completely...

:brick:brick :nuts

It's funny- the Les Paul that I've been gigging since the early 80s has more scratches & dents than I could count and I don't mind a bit. The PRS that's been my #1 since '87 has only two real dings, and for each one I remember the exact moment it happened with crystal clarity.

icr

Was doing something on an amp and I accidentally knocked my favorite Strat off its hanger. Guitar landed with a crash and bashed against another amp. Put a massive ding on the front of the body by the upper edge. But because it's already (lightly) reliced--I didn't care!
No, I think you ruined it. You can't sell it as 'mint relic' anymore.

trower

[geer/peyj] hubris, confuse, paralysis by analysis
Gold Supporting Member
I LIKE RELICS!!! there, I said it!...sniff....hold me

Trending Topics

Top Bottom