the making of claptons 335

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rpavich, Feb 15, 2006.

1. rpavich

rpavich Member

2. mbratch

mbratch Member

The acoustic guitar based background music is a nice touch. ;)

Heh.... ya'd think they'd have some playing of the 335 in the background instead.

3. leoman57

leoman57 Guest

I was waiting to hear the original and the repro through an amp to see how closely they sounded......they missed the point without doing that. But a great video to watch.....and learn a few things on guitar construction.

Do you think Gibson should send some repro vintage Clapton hippie/psychedelic clothing with each guitar?

I'm afraid to even ask the price.........

4. MVrider

MVrider Member

Does no one else see the irony in all this? "Gibson" has to get their hands on the old guitar to figure out how it was made. "Only a 'Gibson' is good enough."

5. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Wow! Respect to Gibson. Really nice! I was amazed how time consuming and laborous a 335 is to manufacture.

6. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I enjoyed seeing the construction process for a 335. Good stuff!

Did they end up aging the reproduction models? They talked about doing it, but didn't show that stage of the process.

Bryan

7. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I actually have several dozen mint condition, original Hare Krishna stamps, exactly like the one on the back of the headstock. I've had them since the 70s when they first came out. I'm pretty sure Eric got it from George Harrison during that time.

8. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    I see the irony, but I've also been exposed to enough manufacturing facilities to know that if you asked most of them to build something today that they made 42 years ago, they'd want to see an original just to make sure they get it right. They might believe they could get it 95% right, but if they were asked to make a 100% accurate reissue/replica, there's lots of reasons to blueprint an original.

Why?
    Records go missing, processes aren't documented accurately, employees retire, etc.

Most manufacturers I know are not enamored of the way things used to be done "in the good old days". Once the decisions are made to move on, those companies have little incentive to retain that knowledge.

Sometimes that view is short-sighted, sometimes it's not.

9. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

How many of these did they make, or are they still in some custom production? I watched the whole thing but didn't notice they revealed that.

Not looking to buy, just wondering how many afficianados they think exist for that kind of novelty.

10. guitarlovero5

guitarlovero5 Member

Very interesting video. longer than I expected. I didn't see too much relicing on the new on in the video but it was tough to tell from the quality of the video

11. photoguy

photoguy Member

Yes, they were made to be an *exact* duplicate...or as close as is possible. I have a friend that owns one. Its a nice guitar, plays well and sounds good. It has all of the wear patterns that I presume the original has, right down to what looks like an amateur attempt to fill in some of the color in a scratched area of the back. Comparing pictures of the original with my friends, I'd say Gibson did a great job. I'd heard stories that Clapton couldn't tell them apart...

All 175 were sold in the US on the day of issue. I think my buddy spent 12G's for his and is convinced that its value will increase. I guess only time will tell on that.

12. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

I'm interested in this -- and kind of appalled at the same time. I don't criticize those who want one or have the money, or even the legitimacy of the cost.
    But it is a kind of holic relic mentality, IMO.
    I frankly would rather have my own 335 and make my own dings and scratches, across 40 of my own years. I don't tend to project into the lives of the rich and famous.
    Really enjoyed the craftsmen aspect of the video, though, and appreciate the posting of it.

13. MVrider

MVrider Member

Hey, buy what you want to buy, but... Anyone who's ever spent any time with a good luthier or read more than a few paragraphs about the guitar-building knows it's impossible to determine EXACTLY what the finished product will sound like by looking at the ingredients. So what is the point in making a clone, when a true sonic clone CAN'T be made...

That's a good "story" all right, and stories like that sell a lot of expensive guitars...

14. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

Funny, I watched this yesterday and later in the evening stopped in GC to buy strings. Guess what they have on the wall behind the counter? One of these guitars! Looks really nice. The asking price? $15999.00.

15. photoguy

photoguy Member

Good point...and I can't recall where on the net I read about EC's reaction to the guitar, if I come across it I'll post a link. I guess though, the fact that Clapton signed each guitar is all I can provide for testimony to his approval.

I hope that my friend made a wise decision. He's done all right with a few previous guitar "investments"...and as I said earlier, only time will tell on this one!

16. loudboy

loudboy Member

Which means that anyone w/$12K or less in their pocket could take it home...

Loudboy

17. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Hmmm...I've got less than $12k in my pocket (in fact, a lot less)...

:JAM

18. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

One thing that bothered me was when they took Clapton's old 335 into the paint booth where they were doing the color matching. I couldn't believe that they were spraying the new guitar with the old guitar in the same room. I'd be worried that some of the paint would end up on the old guitar.

Bryan

19. Unburst

Unburst Member

A triumph of sizzle over steak.

20. MVrider

MVrider Member

LOL. And too many 10 cent players with $10,000 guitars...