The Making of Electric Ladyland

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by daddyo, Dec 26, 2009.

1. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Got this DVD for Christmas and really enjoyed it.
    I was suprised to find that "South Saturn Delta" was recorded during this session and never released until just a few years ago.

I feel that between this song and what he played with BOG, that Jimi would've gone for a much funkier and urban sound than the pop and rock he had done up to that point.

Conjecture aside, still a facinating DVD.

2. daddyo

daddyo Guest

3. Tricks

Tricks Member

Lotsa love here. It's a great show, I've been meaning to get hold of the dvd for a while now. My feeling is that Jimi would have delved in to the jazz thing, and any other genre that might have taken his fancy, but ultimately his heart would always be rooted in the blues - I think he would have always come back to the blues, the mother lode of his inspiration. Of course this is all conjecture.

4. mjm59

mjm59 Member

It's a great DVD, I watched it on Youtube this summer. I think that you're definitely onto something there about Jimi's future direction, but he never got the chance to fully realize that vision.

To get a better picture of the situation, I would highly recommend viewing the DVD, Jimi Hendrix, Live at The Fillmore East. Many of your questions will be answered there and as a bonus, it contains a B&W version of the complete show from which the classic Machine Gun version from BOG is derived. Enjoy.

Mike

5. surfshack

surfshack Member

no always love for hendrix...

i just watched the whole thing on youtube, and i gotta say that hendrix for me always represents this character of not only being this great guitar hero or player, but also a guy who constantly pushed music (his music) as far as he could take it. whether it be bringing in different musicians to play on his albums or using as many different effects on songs or just trying to push the limits of his guitar playing. he always represents what a musician should be. the documentary is great, i love it. the electric ladyland album is excellent, a beautiful collection of songs, that nobody but hendrix could've made. it's one of those albums that gets better with age.

6. suhrbrutal

suhrbrutal Senior Member

My favorite rock album of all time. Genius beginning to end. Except Little Miss Strange I like every song.

7. jaydub69

jaydub69 Member

I've owed it for a few years. Great video. Still one of my top 5 albums He was on another level.
    BOG was most definitely a different direction.

8. meterman

meterman Member

Great DVD, I love the part where the organ player is dissecting the groove on Rainy Day Dream Away, and the part where Eddie Kramer is pulling up these backing vocal harmonies that are so interesting and unusual yet fit perfectly

9. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Member

Hhhmmm, I'm trying to remember if I saw this or not.

It's hard to tell because Kramer is in every Hendrix DVD it seems.

Is there a Casady interview in it?

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Yes.

11. FirstBassman

FirstBassman Member

Thanks.

Speaking of which . . . just as an example that you can't always trust what these guys remember about stuff that happened forty years ago.

I was talking to Jack once and mentioned that I bought some record that had a different take of Voodoo Chile but that I liked the one on Ladyland much better.

Casady said he only remembered doing one take.

Nope, not true. I later found a copy of a CD with all the takes and gave him a copy.

There were actually about 3 1/2 takes. A sort of warm-up run-through. Two sort of real takes. And a sort of very loose noodling.

12. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

It is a great documentary. I've seen it on VH-1 Classic a couple of times, and try to watch it whenever I have the chance. Maybe I should buy the DVD, too.