The Making of Pump

Balok

I didn't see why they needed accordions, keyboards and horns when Rocks had none of that and was so expressive and had such depth and lasting power. The songs on Pump became hook focused instead of sincere. I remember Kalodner saying "the chorus doesn't happen soon enough". Make art, or make money, it seems.

Taller

Gold Supporting Member
When I used to hold subscriptions to guitar rags, I distinctly remember reading interviews with Joe Perry during this time period.
They'd be working on a new album and his comment was something along the lines of, "This one's gonna rock. Gonna have more guitars. The last album became too watered down with other stuff."

He said the same thing over the course of at least 2 albums, maybe more.

Misterbulbous

My wife was a big Steven Tyler fan when they hit the MTV fame. I think we watched this on VHS 8 or 10 times. At the time, this "making of" stuff was relatively new and pretty cool insight into the band.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
I remember that CD broke new sonic ground and was used to demo Alpine and other high end tuner/tape/amplifiers back in the 80s. It did sound a bit better than anything else of the time.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Well clearly, Joe wasn't in charge of the way the records sounded. I'm sure at that point in time the record company was willing to invest X dollars and banking on Y profits from any new Aerosmith album, and the band was only one part of the equation. They were buying songs from all over, using the hotshot producers, giving the people what they wanted to buy...er, hear.

As far as all the extra instrumentation, I think that's pretty brilliant and forward-thinking for a hard rock record of that era. If you know that you're going to hard-limit the master, and then radio is going to compress the material again, what is going to make one all-guitar/bass/drums record sound different from the next one (besides the vocals)? Hey! Stick an accordion and some bagpipes in there with all the guitars and ten-foot tall toms and you'll start sounding unique!

coltranemi2012

Silver Supporting Member
When I used to hold subscriptions to guitar rags, I distinctly remember reading interviews with Joe Perry during this time period.
They'd be working on a new album and his comment was something along the lines of, "This one's gonna rock. Gonna have more guitars. The last album became too watered down with other stuff."

He says that about every album..it's kinda annoying though...he says that and they get more wattered down...Look at Just Push Play...or look at the last one...they had Carrie Underwood on it..c'mon

NoQuarter

He says that about every album..it's kinda annoying though...he says that and they get more wattered down...Look at Just Push Play...or look at the last one...they had Carrie Underwood on it..c'mon
^^Exactly...and then there is the whole Diane Warren thing. Yuck. Ruined one of the greatest rock bands. Imagine Page and Plant bringing in an outsider to write a ballad..unheard of. Something happened to Aerosmith internally, creatively, personally, and I have allot of insider info that I will leave out of this public forum. They are killing it live right now on the current tour. They sound great, I just can not stand the soundtrack and ballad songs, its nauseating.

cram

I thought their tour through japan playing their older tunes was really cool.

John II

Pump triumphantly took them to the next level commercially while still retaining the spirit of Rocks and Draw The Line. It's a really good album. The only complaint that comes to mind is Mike Fraser's mix. It is just too big/wide, dare I say brash, and so to me the songs lack dynamics.

woof*

Badass band staying alive for decades. I see nothing wrong with any of it.
The fact that they still sell tickets, and Tyler is still popular in pop culture proves the path they've taken has worked.
Sure, I can picture them doing it my way, rocking a lot harder...but these guys gotta pay the bills.

27sauce

^^Exactly...and then there is the whole Diane Warren thing. Yuck. Ruined one of the greatest rock bands. Imagine Page and Plant bringing in an outsider to write a ballad..unheard of. Something happened to Aerosmith internally, creatively, personally, and I have allot of insider info that I will leave out of this public forum. They are killing it live right now on the current tour. They sound great, I just can not stand the soundtrack and ballad songs, its nauseating.
According to Perry there was a ton of infighting left out. Disagreements on just about everything. Very little of the making of the record is actually shown. Get a Grip was just as much of a struggle to make.

27sauce

Imagine Page and Plant crediting an outsider! That would be unheard of! Yes, there is a ton of backstory, from A&R right down to the band members. I bet it would surprise a lot of people who in the band is for the outsider/ballad thing, and who isn't. John Kalodner had a lot riding on this album, maybe a little more on Permanent Vacation. He stuck his neck out, let them make their own record, and it was crap. There would have been a lot less pressure if Mirrors was a hit. That said, they've always had ballads, and have had co songwriters, even in the good old days.
Love in an Elevator is great. Classic Tyler/Perry. A big hit like that with that big of a guitar/instrumental break?! Awesome.

Misterbulbous

There's a scene in that "making of" VHS where Perry and Whitford are soloing for about 5 minutes - just random stuff. Painful to watch at times, but also very interesting to see how some of it was used in various songs.

woof*

Imagine Page and Plant crediting an outsider! That would be unheard of!

Yes, there is a ton of backstory, from A&R right down to the band members. I bet it would surprise a lot of people who in the band is for the outsider/ballad thing, and who isn't.

John Kalodner had a lot riding on this album, maybe a little more on Permanent Vacation. He stuck his neck out, let them make their own record, and it was crap. There would have been a lot less pressure if Mirrors was a hit. That said, they've always had ballads, and have had co songwriters, even I. The good old days.

Love in an Elevator is great. Classic Tyler/Perry. A big hit like that with that big of a guitar/instrumental break?! Awesome.
I was listening to elevator yesterday in my car. That song is has such a killer groove and is very well crafted. I had never really paid much attention to it before.

B Money

that reminds me of another quote I remember Joe Perry saying: "When you make a deal with the Devil, sometimes you have to dance to his tune."

NoQuarter

Imagine Page and Plant crediting an outsider! That would be unheard of! Yes, there is a ton of backstory, from A&R right down to the band members. I bet it would surprise a lot of people who in the band is for the outsider/ballad thing, and who isn't. John Kalodner had a lot riding on this album, maybe a little more on Permanent Vacation. He stuck his neck out, let them make their own record, and it was crap. There would have been a lot less pressure if Mirrors was a hit. That said, they've always had ballads, and have had co songwriters, even in the good old days.
Imagine a thread where Page and Plant is mentioned ...and song credits not being brought up. So tiring. But, this had nothing to do with the point. I saw them on the Mirrors tour and they were in rough, rough shape. Yngwie opened up for them, he was monstrous, and I am not much of a fan of his stuff.

Balok

that reminds me of another quote I remember Joe Perry saying: "When you make a deal with the Devil, sometimes you have to dance to his tune."
Many of us here I'm sure have fondly imagined being in a band as successful as Aerosmth. But imagine your songs and your sound being changed all around by late comer outside forces. And you can't quit - millions of dollars are at stake, your whole world. You could quickly turn into a millionaire rock star who's miserable. Gotta go with team Perry on this one.

Last edited:

27sauce

Many of us here I'm sure have fondly imagined being in a bad as successful as Aerosmth. But imagine your songs and your sound being changed all around by late comer outside forces. And you can't quit - millions of dollars are at stake, your whole world. You could quickly turn into a millionaire rock star who's miserable. Gotta go with team Perry on this one.
Sure, but Dream On, Home Tonight, You See Me Crying...? They don't sound very far removed from the Geffen era stuff. I'd actually take most of the newer stuff over you see me crying...

Trending Topics