The Making of Pump

Balok

Dream on and Home Tonight sounded real to me, like the band in the studio miked up and delivering a song they wrote. Those later records sound like processed, over tracked, tweaked and bloated constructions of the Kalodner machine.

Defendant

Pump was a great record, especially so for the time it was made.

The only thing I can fault is the drum sound, and even that is miles better than any hard rock record made in '89.

Misterbulbous

Pump was a great record, especially so for the time it was made.

The only thing I can fault is the drum sound, and even that is miles better than any hard rock record made in '89.
it was cool seeing the interplay between Tyler and Joey Kramer. Steven was very passionate and involved in the drums (in the making of video).

27sauce

it was cool seeing the interplay between Tyler and Joey Kramer. Steven was very passionate and involved in the drums (in the making of video).
That goes way back, and continues today. Tyler is a drummer, and would coach and criticize Kramer about his playing all the time. Even when they were playing in stadiums, traveling in jets. Tyler arranges many of the songs either on drums or keys, with Perry. So it's his vision throughout. I think they're common bond is that they(Kramer and Tyler) are on the poppy-er side of the tracks, within the band.

Tone_Boss

Badass band staying alive for decades. I see nothing wrong with any of it.
The fact that they still sell tickets, and Tyler is still popular in pop culture proves the path they've taken has worked.
Sure, I can picture them doing it my way, rocking a lot harder...but these guys gotta pay the bills.
If I had their money I'd throw mine away. Their comeback was really quite amazing. I'd still like one more real rock album from them without the song writers and the ballads and the slick production. Do one for the old skool fans.

coltranemi2012

Silver Supporting Member
If I had their money I'd throw mine away. Their comeback was really quite amazing. I'd still like one more real rock album from them without the song writers and the ballads and the slick production. Do one for the old skool fans.
Agreed...go out with a bang..do it for thenselves and their loyal fans

Hand of Doom

It is interesting to see how much Tyler is involved in the writing of riffs and beats let alone the songs themselves in the video link. I don't think they needed to bring in writers after this album, but it was obviously financially better for all involved. At least you can edit out the sap now.

I hate the slick production, that's why I started the thread.

They DO kill it live.

Dasein

I saw this tour front row against the barricade in Vancouver midway between Steven and Joe --- One of the best concerts ever and it being Vancouver, well it was like a second hometown celebration for them.

And holy crap did those songs sound amazing live. There's nothing fake or contrived about these guys when they hit the stage and lay it down. Pump is one of the greatest albums of that era -- one of the last great arena rock albums by my book period.

As anyone living in Vancouver can tell you about that time (and about Little Mountain Sound) during that era -- there's was some real mojo going on. And Tyler? As a performer he's absolutely one of these best ever minted -- and then to see how involved he was/is in every stage of the crafting of those songs -- couldn't give him higher marks. Name a single other band or singer with that kind of creative force and energy. He's a bloody force of nature WITH THE CREATIVE MOJO MAGIC that's almost unmeasurable. Mad respect for him and the whole band for just being able to go through that kind of intense creative process and still be able to survive as a band.

Permanent Vacation through Pump, to Get a Grip - with Pump being the peak! Few bands have ever matched that run.

And Aerosmith did it twice. Get your Wings, Toys in the Attic and Rocks was a triple run as well....

2 hatricks

27sauce

That whole Little Mountain scene, With Bruce Fairbairn and Bob Rock....they were behind some huge, amazing sounding albums between '85-'93, my god! Mutt gets the credit(or blame) for the slick rock sound of that era, but I think Bruce and Bob did it bigger and better.

mikebat

They had an interesting way of looking at the A+R process. The necessary evil of an outside perspective with credibility.

More or less from a survival aspect, they were entering their second career phase and they needed to be helped in the direction of what the widest portion of the market will embrace.

It is interesting to see how much Tyler is involved in the writing of riffs and beats let alone the songs themselves in the video link.
He really is the driving force in the band. The fact that he still sings so well (in the original keys!) is incredible.

Trending Topics