The Marcus King Band

Smacky the Frog

Gold Supporting Member
I love Warren's Xmas Jam but this years' lineup was too mellow for me to spend a ton to travel and stay in Asheville for a week.

This band was the only reason I was seriously considering it. Thankfully they're playing the Grammercy theater on the 28th of January so I'll catch them then.

Knights

Just saw them last night. Humble and talented band. Afterwards a couple of us spoke of how we would probably never see them in a small room again. Soon after the owner announced that he booked them again immediately after the show for February.

345 neck pickup 98% of time>Boss Tuner>Cry baby>TS9>Reissue Super Reverb. He never messed with the amp all night just the TS9 and rode that volume knob on the 345. It sounded amazing:

jclark42796

This is the $hit right here. I've been digging them for the past few months. Incredibly talented. The kid can really wail with the best of them. I love his singing voice too. Just a terrific band.

Totally agree!! These guys are awesome! First saw them end of Sept. Going to see them in Baltimore in a few weeks and then again in DC in Jan. Can't wait! BTW, Marcus said Gibson would be doing a reissue of his 345.

Marc Roy

I love Warren's Xmas Jam but this years' lineup was too mellow for me to spend a ton to travel and stay in Asheville for a week.

This band was the only reason I was seriously considering it. Thankfully they're playing the Grammercy theater on the 28th of January so I'll catch them then.

I watched the Xmas Jam live stream this year and agree it was a bit too mellow for my taste. Bob Weir's set seemed to go on forever. The Last Waltz Band was incredible though and Mule is always good. George Porter's set was the heaviest thing going that night.

The whole thing was long as all hell. The show started at 7:00 p.m. and ended at 3:00 a.m.... I conked out in the middle of it.

Smacky the Frog

Gold Supporting Member
The Last Waltz Band was incredible though and Mule is always good.

True but being at last years New Years with the Watkin Glens tribute I got a chance to see Mule play The Band. Setlist did look really good though.

The whole thing was long as all hell. The show started at 7:00 p.m. and ended at 3:00 a.m.... I conked out in the middle of it.

Yeah, it is music excess for a couple of days. For the 25th anniversary it was three nights. Thursday night at the Orange Peel from 6-1, Friday at the Civic center from 7-4:30 and Saturday from 7-4. Driving 12 hours home that Sunday was awful.

WSP went on at 2:30 that Friday. I couldn't believe it. Thought they were bumped to Saturday or couldn't make it but they went on from 2:30-4:15 or so.

If you take in any of the Xmas Jam by Day events you're literally looking at a 16 hour day of music.

RCCola

(|@ / \ @ |.)
Gold Supporting Member
Just found out about this guy by random YouTube autoplay in the background earlier today.

3:30

The quality of his voice is definitely immediately recognizable, imo

sws1

^^^^^^

Not to sidetrack, but check out the guy who plays just after Marcus in that video. Took awhile for me to figure out what was going on.

fataxeman

Gold Supporting Member
Just listened to his Soul Insight disc today. A pesky little snowstorm kept me at home in early February or I would have caught him in Chattanooga. Talented young lad for sure.

sovtekking

Silver Supporting Member
I've known Marcus since he was about 10 years old. His whole family has a musical background and his dad is a killer player too and taught in the music store I used to work at (no longer in business). He definitely "gets it honest" as we say in the South. It's been cool to see him go from a 10 year old kid who struggled to get through Amazing Grace with his Dad's band to being the killer player he is now. I'm proud of him and still try to go see and him and say hey to him and his dad.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom