The Mark IV's cleans.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by theroan, Jul 25, 2008.

1. theroan

theroan Member

I've heard the Mark 4 in it's high gain greatness, but I'm curious about it's clean channel. The F-50 is known for it's cleans and that one I've heard, how the does the Mark compare?

2. mike80

mike80 Member

I was able to try out a Mk IV a few months ago for the first time, and I was very impressed with the amp. I really liked the cleans on it. I didn't think they sparkled as much some amps do, but they were much brighter than the Rectifier's cleans that I'm used to. I didn't have a whole lot of time to tweak everything on the amp, but I dialed in a very good clean within a few knob tweaks.

I would be buying one if I had the money.

3. GreatGreen

GreatGreen Member

I'm not a fan of the cleans, personally. Some people love them... I find them a bit sterile and thin in the mids. Also, I find the treble to be a bit harsh.

If you're going for a super squeaky clean tone, it's fine. However, it's not very warm to my ears.

4. Tito83

Tito83 Member

Funny enough I liked the cleans a lot better then the lead channel on both I've tried.

5. theroan

theroan Member

Hmmm, I guess I'll have to listen for myself.

6. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

i think the cleans on mine sound great, but i'm not into shimmery cleans

7. trisonic

trisonic Member

Best thing actually - they are freely available.
    I've owned one since before photos of them were printed - the cleans are pretty nice, they do lean to the BF sound, not surprisingly. The trick with IV's is to keep the Bass at 3 or below - if you want more Bass use the Graphic EQ. Also they like to be loud so turn the Level up.

Best, Pete.

8. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

So much depends on the speakers with the MkIV, it's difficult to overstate. Best cleans I've heard involved the head version, an old Yamaha "tabletop" analog delay in the loop and a late 70s Marshall 4x12 with 65w Celestions. In fact, that rig might've been the best overall across the channels.

9. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

A MK IV short head was my main amp for about a year. I actually far preferred the cleans on it than any of the gain channels. Great cleans, IMO, w/ half decent reverb!

10. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

I really like the cleans on mine. The rest of my amps are mostly BF and SF models so I think that says a lot about the MK IV. The cleans don't have the sparkle of a good Fender but I find them plenty warm and really nice for blues or jazz style cleans. I do prefer a Strat over an LP with the MK IV.

11. virtualblues

virtualblues Supporting Member

uh...............clean to me means cowboy clean. The clean channel on Mark Series Boogies ALWAYS disappoints me, the Mark IV is no exception. Unless they are played at drunken drummer volume they strike me as THIN and sterile. And the REVERB circuit is weak.

12. Mr. Brady

Mr. Brady Member

I had a Mark IV and the cleans are ok. Sterile and a little bland perhaps. Think Metallica type cleans. With some chorus, delay, and reverb they aren't bad, but they sound flat to me otherwise. I've played the f-30 series mesa and the lonestar Classic. Both of those amps have much better cleans than the Mark IV.

13. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

The word 'Sterile' is operative here (for me). Didn't like them at all. Barely usable.

I DID like it when it was at 10, and it sounded like 'cleans in pain'. Great for soloing (kind of a Hotel California type of OD...clean, but not). But unless I was playing Red Rocks direct, it wasn't usable.

Anything less than that, ugh.

IMO.

EP

14. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

+ 1 on the sterility of the clean tone. I used one for about 2 years and it gets good sounds, but not great sounds.

It sound phenomenal when you can crank it, but I could never do that in most of the places I play. Channel #2 ALWAYS sounded good, regardless of the volume. Just a bit of a crunch.

The cleans were 'okay', but too scooped and thin as others have mentioned.

My biggest problem with the amp was that I could never get it to sound consistent. Every gig it needed tweaking and I couldn't find a sweet spot.

15. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I like the cleans on my MKIV. It's not as rich as my Bandmaster but they aren't as sterile as some people say. The key to the MKIV is to dial it in with your ears not your eyes. People tend to think about where their tone controls should be instead of where it sounds good. It's a weird thing but I've had it happen too. I think, There is no way I would dime the treble, but on the R2 channel it sounds great.

Scott