The market for silent guitar practice doesn't have any good affordable products, change my mind

Digitalman

For me it’s about playing along with the songs I’m learning.

Oh. Well then if you can’t deal with being tied to your DAW…I had that figured out back in 2010 with a Vox Amp Plug with auxiliary input and ear buds.
Isn’t there something better/comparable now? Cmon.

Evilution

With all these cheap wireless devices I don't see why they couldn't build that technology into a transmitter to headphones. Going wireless from guitar to headphones would be ideal.
waza-air_main.jpg

cvanderwolk

Oh. Well then if you can’t deal with being tied to your DAW…I had that figured out back in 2010 with a Vox Amp Plug with auxiliary input and ear buds.
Isn’t there something better/comparable now? Cmon.
I've had a Vox Amp Plug for about the same time.

But phones don't have headphone jacks anymore, so you need a dongle. And an aux cord. And a headphone cord.

View attachment 617152

(Just keeping it going! ;) )
These cost a lot more than an Amp Plug, but they work way better. I get to walk around anywhere, it fits in the guitar case when I travel too, and I've never snagged a wire on a cabinet pull or door knob. :)

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
Disagree. For $200 you can get a nice USB interface and a killer Neural plugin for practice. For $75 you can get a Nux headphone modeling device. Tons of options and never been better sound available.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
It's really hard to convey just how convenient and nice the Waza Airs are until you've used them. I do have criticisms of them, but despite those criticisms, I agree with @Foxmeister that they are still second to none in what they do.

Well-built, nice looking, nice sounding headphones. A wireless transmitter. No cables, no cords. Put them on your head, plug in the transmitter, play. Take your phone out of your pocket and turn on some music to play along with, which streams in via Bluetooth.

They also have some of the best "amp in the room" ambience modeling I've heard in headphones with any modeler, FWIW. Their surround algorithm actually places a virtual cab at a distance from you, which can be moved 360 degrees around you.

Man I really wish Boss would put that room reverb sound in the GT series. I don’t need it to be virtual spatial that moves around, static is fine. One of the few things the GT really needs is great room reverb.

UnnoTed

There is the H8, it costs less than 30 usd and it's made by Cuvave(now M-Vave) but other brands put their name on this product.

- 3rd party IR support
- Built-in rechargeable battery 5h
- Effects: Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Phase.
- 10 Presets
- 3.5mm(1/8 inch) PHONE jack
- Tuner
- Record audio through smartphone

Official website:

Same product, different brands:

Demo:

Last edited:

liordino

There is the H8, it costs less than 30 usd and it's made by Cuvave(now M-Vave) but other brands put their name on this product.

- 3rd party IR support
- Built-in rechargeable battery 5h
- Effects: Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Phase.
- 10 Presets
- 3.5mm(1/8 inch) PHONE jack
- Tuner
- Record audio through smartphone

Official website:

Same product, different brands:

Demo:

This thing seems so nice that I could put it at the end of my pedal chain on my smaller board (that I can take everywhere for practice) just to use the reverb and IR.

Quad4

There is the H8, it costs less than 30

Not sure I would recommend this device from Cuvave.

While I'm impressed by the functionality this low cost device provides, there are far better (sounding) low cost options for not that much more money (most discussed above).

I would love to be proven wrong on this.

UnnoTed

This thing seems so nice that I could put it at the end of my pedal chain on my smaller board (that I can take everywhere for practice) just to use the reverb and IR.
Maybe the cube baby is a better option, it's about the size of a smartphone and does the same.

Not sure I would recommend this device from Cuvave.

While I'm impressed by the functionality this low cost device provides, there are far better (sounding) low cost options for not that much more money (most discussed above).

I would love to be proven wrong on this.
It probably uses the same engine as the cube baby, IMO for the price it's the best option because of impulse reponses.

Last edited:

DigitalEel

If working as an engineer at Polaroid didn't qualify as a real job, I don't know what would.
A bit of paraphrasing going on there. As I recall his dad told him there was "no future in music" when he was very young (pre-polaroid), only to later jokingly ask why he was wasting his time with that electronics stuff (Rockman) when he could be making another record. Speaking of the rockman I still hope some day Dunlop does something with that brand other than the Guitar Ace headphone amps. At least a preamp pedal or something based on one of the more advanced units.

DRS

Early on I and another poster recommended the Zoom G1 Four
Been just using mine for silent practice. Good <$100 value

JC Scott

A bit of paraphrasing going on there. As I recall his dad told him there was "no future in music" when he was very young (pre-polaroid), only to later jokingly ask why he was wasting his time with that electronics stuff (Rockman) when he could be making another record.
The context that should be added is that his father was only telling Scholz that as a youngster because he'd been jaded by the industry as a musician himself.

ChipOnly

Silver Supporting Member
Is silent practice of a musical instrument itself a reasonable expectation, or even a physical possibility?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom