The market for silent guitar practice doesn't have any good affordable products, change my mind

Quad4

Wow. Looks and operates almost exactly like the Mustang Micro.

1654802682800.png

1654802862661.png

Might be annoying to make changes as that will take a minimum of three button presses across at least two buttons. This could also be a benefit if you want to keep on playing while making the change (without hearing all the intermediate settings and waiting to time the final press at the right time).
  • Press the button of what you want to change (e.g, amp, effect) to select it
  • Press the up/down arrow buttons to choose the new setting
  • Press the button of what you want to change .. to activate the change

Looks like it's stereo out, bluetooth in (for backing tracks), USB-C interface (perhaps an option without the BT backing track which is an issue for me with with Micro).

No mention of any way to modify the presets via an app. Unlikely to be one at this point (and it's such a clone of the Micro that would be unphilosophical).

Does it sound as good as the Mustang Micro? Can it drive headphones as well?

Sounds like a job for @Elantric !

Last edited:

Quad4

Here are the amps and effects of the Harley Benton ... Mobile. 14 amps and 14 effects. Thats two, count 'em, two more than the Micro. ;-)

The tone control only has 5 settings (like the Micro). This feels like a miss (definitely times on the Micro where I wanted at least one more setting).

The ping-pong delay suggests the device is true stereo (unlike the P1 which is mono).

There's an Acoustic Sim (wonder how well that works), but no "Studio"/dry amp (for the odd case of reamping externally).

• US Double Clean
  • US deluxe clean
  • Acoustic sim
  • Sonic drive
  • US 59 Bass
  • Doctor Wreck
  • Brit 800
  • Brit Plexi
  • Combo 30 OD
  • Powerful DS
  • Cali V
  • 30 Oranges
  • Soldier 100 DS
  • 5153 Crunch

• Room Reverb
  • Hall Reverb
  • Church Reverb
  • Plate Reverb
  • Spring Reverb
  • Mod Reverb
  • Slapback Delay
  • Tape Dly + Hall
  • Reverse Dly + ModReverb
  • PingPong Dly + Church
  • Chorus + Hall
  • Phaser + Church
  • Flanger + Plate
  • Tremolo + ModReverb

The choices above are such a copy of the Micro at first glance.

Last edited:

M1A1

Yesterday night I wanted to sit in bed with my guitar and practice a song while I watched some TV. I own an Axe FX 3, I used to own an Helix, an HX Stomp, a Quad Cortex, a Fender Mustang Micro... none of them do 100% of the job I would like a product like this to do, the way the old Korg Pandora did.

- The various modelers require too many cables, are awkward to use in a situation like a couch.
- Mustang Micro sounds like crap for high gain and with hot pickups. Doesn't have a tuner. The UI is absurdly hard to read and doesn't have a phone editor. The jack is awkwardly placed and doesn't plug in some guitars I have like my Ibanez S.
- Boss Headphones are too expensive and.. it's boss.

Requirements (just to be crystal clear about what "old Korg Pandora" means...)
  1. battery powered
  2. small (can fit in pocket / gig bag front pocket
  3. silent / headphone practice
  4. good high gain sounds
  5. phone connectivity for editing
  6. tuner
  7. can play music from an external source, ideally wirelessly but onboard storage could work
  8. has metronome or drum machine integrated
This seems like a wide open market for someone like Yamaha to make a winning product, but nobody seems to have caught on. Am I missing something?
You required yourself into a very small hole.

I use a RP200. It’s cheap and sounds incredible through headphones. Good luck.

luckymethod

You required yourself into a very small hole.

I use a RP200. It’s cheap and sounds incredible through headphones. Good luck.
Yeah possibly, but I believe it's not such a strange set of needs really. Boss made a product for it, i would buy it if they were even minimally competent at software. I'm looking forward to the Nux pro.

Digitalman

Still going here?
This sounds less like ‘silent practicing’ and more like nailing other people’s tones in the songs you are learning, under headphones, wirelessly. (?)
Again, ‘practicing’ can be done unplugged on the sofa. So I don’t get it. Other than that, plug into your DAW and deal with wires under headphones man.

luckymethod

Still going here?
This sounds less like ‘silent practicing’ and more like nailing other people’s tones in the songs you are learning, under headphones, wirelessly. (?)
Again, ‘practicing’ can be done unplugged on the sofa. So I don’t get it. Other than that, plug into your DAW and deal with wires under headphones man.
Nah, why bother with bad sounds. I'm just a few months away from a very likely solution. I'm not in a hurry.

Madmax25

Nah, why bother with bad sounds. I'm just a few months away from a very likely solution. I'm not in a hurry.
I use the regular NuX MightyPlug to practice along to, works great. I even uploaded a lot of backing tracks with drums and bass (and even vocals) to Dropbox and just jam along to those. Works a treat.

luckymethod

I use the regular NuX MightyPlug to practice along to, works great. I even uploaded a lot of backing tracks with drums and bass (and even vocals) to Dropbox and just jam along to those. Works a treat.
Exactly, I'm waiting for the Pro version to get to market. On paper looks perfect.

jester700

A bit of paraphrasing going on there. As I recall his dad told him there was "no future in music" when he was very young (pre-polaroid), only to later jokingly ask why he was wasting his time with that electronics stuff (Rockman) when he could be making another record. Speaking of the rockman I still hope some day Dunlop does something with that brand other than the Guitar Ace headphone amps. At least a preamp pedal or something based on one of the more advanced units.
Pricey, and not Dunlop. Too rich for me, but I'm glad it exists:
www.amazon.com/GOAT-BLUE-SERIES-GENERATOR/dp/B08KXTP9HS

jester700

Given how complex the rockman stuff gets internally the price honestly does not surprise me.
True, and why it's unlikely there will ever be a sustainor pedal. That thing was packed full. Even with much smaller & cheaper modern surface mount construction, it's a beast that I'd bet would cost $800-1000.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom