The marketing guys at Positive Grid are teasing BIAS FX 2

primemover12

The web site is heavy on flash and skinny on details. Apparently the new version uses the same DSP as Bias Amp 2; hopefully the two plugins will actually work well together. Trying to use FX with Amp 2 was ridiculous.

Like every one of these companies, they're promising a "new era of tone." Looks like they're finally catching up to Peavey and Blue Cat by offering some kind of guitar-tone simulator. They're promising more effects, though the rack effects still look really anemic.

primemover12

As far as I could tell, they were teasing *something big* was coming until March 14. I did see one thing that looks fairly different from the competition--they're advertising a pretty sophisticated harmonizer effect. That's cool, I guess.

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
If it doesnt scale... Im out. I like the app and Ive used it a good bit but it is a simple thing to make it scale.

mac jones

I'll demo this right away. Any ETA?

There's so much competition, but if you get an upgrade discount, there's that. What I would really like to see is a Pro iPad app. If the Desktop is improved it's likely the iPad one will also, eventually.

primemover12

I'll demo this right away. Any ETA?

There's so much competition, but if you get an upgrade discount, there's that. What I would really like to see is a Pro iPad app. If the Desktop is improved it's likely the iPad one will also, eventually.
Looks like it'll be available on the 21st.

For my part, I'm mostly hoping they'll make three big changes:
  1. Improve the currently lousy interactivity between Bias Amp and FX. Currently, if you're working in FX and you want to tweak your amp model, you have to close FX, open Amp, make your changes, save the preset, go back to FX, and reload the patch.
  2. Improve the UI in general. I own Amplitube 4 MAX, ReValver 4, S-Gear, Pod Farm 2.5, and Bias FX & Amp. And the Bias products are, by far, the slowest and most clutzy in terms of their user interface. I once read that the front end is all done in HTML. I have no idea if that's true, but it would explain why things glitch out so often, why the whole thing loads so damned slowly, and why the graphics are so weak. Those amp heads look cheaper than old Lepou freeware VSTs.
  3. Make the "Tone Cloud" far better organized. There's some decent presets up there, but they're basically all mixed in with a mountain of garbage. They need a much more robust search tool for it.

The upgrade discount is decent--$79 for the standard, $99 for the pro, and $199 for the elite. But unless they've made huge progress along those three big issues, I think I'll save those bucks for S-Gear 3 (when it comes out in 2028), ReValver 5 (if Peavey makes it), or Blue Cat Axiom.

Last edited:

MaxTwang

I was stupid enough to upgrade to Bias Platinum a year ago for $216 which I never felt was ready for prime time, and now $200 to upgrade to FX 2 with the hope that Bias Amp 2 and FX 2 would finally integrate properly? The current FX won't easily let me use the amp packs I paid for with Bias Amp 2 and last I tried it was still impossible to transfer presets between devices without making them public on Positive Grid's cloud.

Positive Grid is a never-ending money pit of mediocrity.

(Further confirmation that the decent price I got on Amplitube Mesa was the best modeling deal ever.)

Youfoo

I have BIAS FX plugin for my Home Studio recording, it sounds pretty good in a mix actually, the new harmonizer & time modeler mentioned on the new FX 2 page look interesting..

Trending Topics