The Mars Volta appreciation thread

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by xrleroyx, Mar 11, 2015.

1. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

This band is a huge influence on me. Listened to them HEAVILY in high school, really got me into experimental music, love the hispanic vibe.

2. Occam

Occam Member

Great stuff as is At the Drive In and the newer project, Antemasque.

3. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

I actually am not a huge fan of Antemasque.

4. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Great band.

My favourite album is actually Octahedron. It's the most accessible and anti-Mars Volta album they made, but I just love it. Easiest to listen to. Frances is their masterpiece, though.

De-Loused and Amputechture are great, too. Bedlam is the most overblown thing of all time - incredibly loud and beats you over the head. But it somehow works? I think. I have a hard time listening to the entire album.

5. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

Their first release was so promising...De-Loused in the Comatorium. Rick Rubin co-produced and I felt he helped bring structure to their sound and made the the songs more memorable. Everything after that became very experimental and noise rock (to me). There are still some songs littered throughout all of their releases that I like, but everything that followed was uneven in my opinion. Talented band for sure.

6. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

That's pretty accurate, but I like that aspect of it. I heard in an interview that they go for more of a soundtrack feel, kind of like movies.

They're also really awful people. Cedric recently dumped boiling hot water on the people in the front row of an Antemasque show.

Glad I got to see them when Deloused dropped.

But f'real though:

7. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Pretty much! Although Frances has some parts that are better than anything off De-Loused, the problem is the extended random noise sections that easily could've been cut down a bit. But the core songs on Frances are fantastic.

8. korby

korby Member

Whats the name of the song they do about the serial killer ?

9. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

:eeks WTF?

10. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

I agree here. Excepting the drawn out noise bits, there are some very good musical parts and excellent songs.

11. Wibcs39

Wibcs39 Member

Love some of their stuff, especially deloused and amputechture. I honestly never really listened to the last 3 albums much. I love the music...and often strongly dislike Cedric's vocals and lyrics. I think the songs on Deloused are stronger than much of the later stuff, as is the production/sound.

I think in general, Omar and Cedric just took themselves and their artistry way too seriously, and that is a bit of a turnoff for me.

How crazy is it that Frusciante tracked ALL guitars on amputechture except for certain solos? What a strange decision but also kinda cool. Shows that the guitar wasn't even Omars focus as much as the overall compositions and sound.

12. Steve73

Steve73 Member

I saw them on the Bedlam tour with Thomas Pridgen and it was like watching a hurricane! Crazy good and incredibly musical.

13. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Like Deloused and the earlier records. Haven't gotten into the later stuff so much.

L'Via L'Viaquez (as the OP posted) is my favourite MV tune.

14. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

big fan, deloused and amputecture are my favorites even though the latter is somewhat universally hated for some reason.

I was a big ATDI fan and the first 4 TMV records are pretty much awesome, they lost me a bit after that but there were always gems here and there.

They have the most inconsistent live show I've ever seen, probably saw them 6 times and 3 of them were among the worst sound I've ever heard at a show and the other 3 were among the best.

Antemasque bores me to tears unfortunately.