The Mars Volta reforming?

Steve73

Me too, s**t was INSANE! I’d seen them a number of other times, but with him blasting the drums the rest of the band was literally standing there in awe watching him play the entire show. That dude is a BEAST!

Me too, I saw that tour, it was incredible. Like watching a controlled tornado or something for two hours....
Thomas really drove those tunes.

Anyway, really looking forward to some new stuff, thanks for posting that new tune!

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting that we all have different tastes......... :) .

I thought Jon Theodore was better in the MV than Pridgen.

thrashmetl

Interesting that we all have different tastes......... :) .

I thought Jon Theodore was better in the MV than Pridgen.
I don’t think Pridgen was better, just different and more entertaining live. That dude just hits soooooo hard and his technical ability is just insane. From what I read, Pridgen said they just told him to go nuts. It would be interesting to see what he would have done if they had just told him to do his own thing.

thrashmetl

Bump for another new track, I like this one better than the first. Still has more of a solid structure than most previous TMV stuff, but I still expect we will get the craziness we all know and love when the full album drops.

scotty31

Silver Supporting Member
Well, the new album is amazingly good.

I had a bit of trepidation early into it but it kept growing.

Vigil, equus3 and collapsible shoulders are tidy tracks

ejecta

Silver Supporting Member
Well, the new album is amazingly good.

I had a bit of trepidation early into it but it kept growing.

Vigil, equus3 and collapsible shoulders are tidy tracks
Yeah definitely different direction from their previous sound with a lot odd meter and heavier guitar but it’s really good IMHO.

skhan007

Listening now. Pretty interesting, great mix/production, but I was really hoping for some heavy prog like Frances, Goliath, or Deloused. I realize they've moved away from that era and gone in a different artistic direction, which is cool.

Knavery

Don't care for electronic type of music with very few instruments. I gave every song a listen. They sure aren't the great band I loved a decade ago. Still great to some I'd imagine--just not me.

desertrat07

Silver Supporting Member
I'm down for whatever they put out...such a great band with a completely unique artistic vision. I still remember the first time I listened to Deloused. It was on a road trip to Colorado and my wife (I married a good one) was immediately taken by it just as I was..."trippy" she said. Indeed.

Edit: didn't realize the new one has been released...downloading now.

Alabamarama

Their live shows are inspiring, they sound too good, haha. The drum work and percussion are phenomenal.

That said, I haven't been too intetested in their albums for awhile. If anyone has any recs for stuff on later albums to check out, I'd love to hear it. I just couldn't get back into them as time went on.

mikebat

They are a band I know I should have listened to all the while, but somehow just never gravitated to. Maybe the high pitch singing and prog leanings just did not feel right for me. That said, I like this tune!

thrashmetl

Not going to lie, don’t really enjoy it. I have no problem with them going in a more straight forward “poppy” direction if you want to call it that, but it’s just difficult to listen to to be honest. Something I noticed is that the album doesn’t swing. Everything is very rigid and on the beat. Take Vigil for example. The song on the surface is mellow, but it’s really not. Vocally there is no space. It’s verse, chorus, verse, chorus, etc. with absolutely no space in between. If there was space in between to breath and if the vocals and instrumentation weren’t so rigid and right on top of the beat then it would be a more relaxed and the way I assume it was intended to feel. Or maybe not, you never know with these guys, but all I know is it feels tense to me instead of like a mellow ballad and the rest of the album feels the same.

Last edited:

desertrat07

Silver Supporting Member
Not going to lie, don’t really enjoy it. I have no problem with them going in a more straight forward “poppy” direction if you want to call it that, but it’s just difficult to listen to to be honest. Something I noticed is that the album doesn’t swing. Everything is very rigid and on the beat. Take Vigil for example. The song on the surface is mellow, but it’s really not. Vocally there is no space. It’s verse, chorus, verse, chorus, etc. with absolutely no space in between. If there was space in between to breath and if the vocals and instrumentation weren’t so rigid and right on top of the beat then it would be a more relaxed and the way I assume it was intended to feel. Or maybe not, you never know with these guys, but all I know is it feels tense to me instead of like a mellow ballad and the rest of the album feels the same.
Finally had a chance to listen to the new album today. Have to say I agree with your assessment. They made a pop record, and a boring one at that. Not one memorable song as far as I'm concerned. Oh well.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom