• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

THE Marshall -- EVH

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
Very interesting indeed, thanks for posting that. The Soldano 25 looks interesting as well.

Flogger59

Eddie had a lot of fun in his old interviews claming that he raised the voltage with the Variac, when he was really browning out the current. I am pretty sure a lot of magic smoke got released thanks to him.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Freidman's recently restored it.

There's no 'magic'..it's a good one, but passed that, it's Ed's hands, and Donn Landee's recording techniques.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
I got to see EVH's amp while Friedman was restoring it and it is stock. The only thing Friedman does is set the bias to the proper level when the amp is browned out to 90 Volts with the Variac.

spakuloid

"sagging low plate voltage on power tubes - compressed..." a non master volume Plexi cranked up to about 35 watts = the brown sound - there it is. EVH has never had a better sound than those first few records.

sinasl1

I played that amp- twice. On 10! :) Sounded great both times (once before Dave restored it, once after). A thrill!

Dave didn't really do much- just replaced the teflon wire with original wire from another old plexi (i think Van Weelden was the guy who put the teflon wire in in the mid-90's)... and tuned it up.

it's just a great Marshall... the real magic was the player. And the great VH chemistry, Ted and Don Landee included. Long live Ed!

forum_crawler

"sagging low plate voltage on power tubes - compressed..." a non master volume Plexi cranked up to about 35 watts = the brown sound - there it is. EVH has never had a better sound than those first few records.
Clearly, not according to him, otherwise he would have that very same sound now.

But what does he know right?:Devil

Brian Maestro

The guys that filmed that video are from The Frank Hannon Band,(Tesla) http://frankhannon.com/
Mike's a friend of mine, he's a HUGE Soldano fan, He plays a SLO and a HR50 when here in New Mexico. I think they rent amps on tour though.

somecafone

I played that amp- twice. On 10! :) Sounded great both times (once before Dave restored it, once after). A thrill!

Dave didn't really do much- just replaced the teflon wire with original wire from another old plexi (i think Van Weelden was the guy who put the teflon wire in in the mid-90's)... and tuned it up.

it's just a great Marshall... the real magic was the player. And the great VH chemistry, Ted and Don Landee included. Long live Ed!
My god. That's a fantasy second only to a threesome with Natalie Portman and Charlize Theron.

:hide

BFC

Silver Supporting Member
Nevermind all that EVH business. I kinda like that little Soldana amp.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom