THE Marshall Head

ufguy73

Supporting Member
But other than his current search for another 45/100, didn’t EJ primarily use a 50w marshall for his dirty and a Superlead for his lead (ie as opposed to a Superbass)?

Last edited:

woof*

My Superbass has been the best sounding amp I’ve ever used. The last 15 yrs or so I’ve run it with just two power tubes. I have an old 4x12 with blackbacks I use with it.
The sound of both my Super Reverb and Superbass running together tandem is the best sound in the world to me. I don’t even have to turn them up to deafening levels ...they still sustain notes clearly forever.
It’s a lot of gear to haul around but if I’m playing in a larger hall I’ll do it.

paulscape

'68's are getting damn expensive! I have a Bray modded 50w Plexi and it's my favourite amp, although I have been scouting a few early 70s metal faced plexi's recently!

Badstrat

Silver Supporting Member
Irecently bought what was listed as a Ceriatone super lead. First thing I did when I got it home was pull the chassis and their was this green sticker on the board “Super Bass”. Posted pics on here and yes it is a Super Bass. Sounds great and was a good price.

ProfRhino

@ProfRhino, on a side note JTM50 (tube rectified) and Super Bass are really different sounding & feeling amplifiers in my experience. Had an original '67 JTM50, much "saggier" rounder softer sounding to me than any SuperBass I've played. The SB sound and feel so much bigger, larger, with tighter lower end and punchier attack, and much clearer / open sound.
fully agreed.
it is absolutely not a Super Bass !
my comment about the JTM50 was based on the previous sentence, that I would get by fine with any of the early Plexis myself, but this is my personal favorite.
like you wrote, that sag works for me. :love:
I'm partial about the lack of "wolf notes" on the low E string however, some JTMs (especially vintage ones) could use a few loving tweaks of the filtering, imho
a bit of a fine line, but it can be done.
ymmv,
Rhino

Zado

Irecently bought what was listed as a Ceriatone super lead. First thing I did when I got it home was pull the chassis and their was this green sticker on the board “Super Bass”. Posted pics on here and yes it is a Super Bass. Sounds great and was a good price.
That's a damn great wiring you got there. Kudos

Echoplexi

Silver Supporting Member
I had an early 69’ plexi Super Bass. It was indeed a great amp, I used it to record an album with, but it wasn’t the best amp I’ve ever had- or even the best Marshall I’ve had. Not a bad choice though! Also, Tom is one of the most musical guitarists I’ve ever heard.

JasonElGato

According to Nashville session man and tone monster Tom Bukovac , the Marshall amp to have is the 1968 Plexi Super Bass 100w... He also says he asked Eric Johnson if he agreed with that assessment, and he did.

Anyone disagree? What's better than the 100w Plexi?
My wallet disagrees greatly. She prefers a nice MG FX series

Geetarpicker

Just like the JTM45 is derived from the tweed 4x10 Bassman, it's worth mentioning the Marshall Superbass 100 is derived from the tweed Fender (high power) 2x12 Twin.

Take a tweed twin, swap the tube rectifier for solid state and up the filtering and you just about have a Superbass. The JTM45/100 and earlier shared cathode Superleads were also similar, but most had very high B+ voltages. That said by '68 or so things were calmed down in that department with the later smaller lay down power transformers. Oh, and swap the 1st preamp tube from a 12AY7 to a 12AX7.

Last edited:

Trending Topics