The Marshall signature line got me thinking..........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by OldSchool, Jan 19, 2008.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

So many different signature Marshall's. Jimi, Zack, Slash, KK, and now the RR got me to thinking..........except for that 1 SRV inspired Vibroverb Why doesn't Fender do some Signature amps? Lots of Hot Rod players use Souped up Fenders. Except for the EVH model , are they missing out on a piece of the market or are they smart to just keep the Fender Sound as their marketing tool?

I know a Jimmy Vaughn, Buddy Guy or a Clapton Model Twin with input from the artists would be Sick. Signature speaker sizes, colors, options like 3 knob reverb or 2 channels .

Just a thought.........

2. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

Because most of the "sig" amps were an excuse to rerelease discontinued amps. Some like KK's have mods, but the Slash, Jimi and Zach are just stock reissues of those respective amps.

But I see what your saying. I'm sure Fender could reissue some of their discontinued stuff as sig models and slap a nice pricetag on them.

3. brooksrocco

brooksrocco Member

I'll wait for the Nigel Tufnel model

4. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Well fenders, especially BF fenders, are such a stock 'n trade tone, there doesn't seem to be a purpose to have sig models. If people want a fender sound they'll just get the fender that fits their size/wattage needs.

Eric Johnson fender twin?? what's the point?? Tweeds are a slightly different story, but hot rodding I think is much more of a marshall thing because everybody has their own opinion of what a marshall should sound like.

5. LZ_69

LZ_69 Member

Only artist signature amp that I think would sell and don't currently offer anything close would be a Brian Setzer blonde bassman with the celestion speakers.

6. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Fender is primarily a guitar company, and does signature guitar models. Most people don't associate specific Fender amps with specific players.

The RR stack is really just a white Marshall stack. It looks like RR's stack. Randy didn't have a whole lot of input in making it though.

7. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Exactly. That was my point. I just found it intresting the difference between the 2 amp companies.

I guess the real difference is Marshall keeps putting out newer gear and the old stuff is still what people want.

Fender just keeps making what they have for the last 50 yrs so there is no reason to reissue it .

8. Laganlad

Laganlad Supporting Member

A "Signature 11" maybe ;)

9. eru

eru Member

I disagree wholeheartedly. I can't get anything like the tones I hear on older recordings on newer equipment. I honestly don't think Fender has anything going for their amp line but history at this point. Marshall's solid state cleans have more character than the smaller fenders.

Until you get to the point of destroying your hearing before the tubes start breathing, Fender amps just don't have any magic about them.

Maybe I'm just meant to play marshalls.

10. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

A tweed Deluxe goes to 12....

11. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

According to Marshall the RR is based on an amp that is in the Rhoads family vault. The amp was also originally modded for more gain at the factory.; The Rhoads family let Marshall disassemble the amp and take all the measurements ( electrical that is) and even got ahold of the employee who did the mods to Randy's original amp.
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...l=2&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

12. steve39stripes

steve39stripes 39 Stripes

I still say that the ultimate Signature Series amp that Marshall could ever put out would be Van Halens....if they did it right, but that will probably never happen.

13. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

Probably not while he is endorsing Fender/EVH .Fender was gonna make an Eric Johnson sig Twin Reverb amp. Only problem was Eric insisted on a two prong ungrounded power cord or he would not allow his name to go on ( Thinks it sounds better......). Fender said without UL approval and a grounded cord that they obviously could not market the amp. It would not even be legal. So no EJ twin. Maybe that soured them on the Sig amp thing./ PLus it raises the price ( gotta pay the artist)of the amp that is frequently just a standard model.

14. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

Probably because Fender has burnt up all of their bridges with Signature named guitars and have no names left to use! :D

I wish that someone would come up with a Signature name pill so that my talent and fingers could play like __________!

The weird thing about any of the "Signature" stuff I have owned - I still sound like me when I play............
    :jo

15. Speed_Racer71

Speed_Racer71 Member

16. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I never meant this to be a Fender Vs. Marshall thread. Just comparing the 2 companies different philosophies.

17. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I have a Fullton Webb Scrumptious Monkey that Eric co designed and it came with a 3 pronged grounded cord. Are you sure you heard that from a reliable source?

18. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Tell me the DRRI isn't a VERY hot amp for Fender. How about the new handwired tweed Deluxe. They all play the vintage game

My bet is Marshall outsells Fender for amps by a huge margin. They just came out with some pretty cool new amps.

19. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

No doubt. GREAT amp. I was just comparing the stratigies of the two companies. Why not throw some trick speakers, a custom color, maybe a 3 knob reverb along with the blessing of a Well known player? I'm not saying they should......Just wondering why they haven't is all.

Maybe........but again , Marshall vs. Fender was not my intention. Lets not forget Marshall is solely an amplification company and Fender is a musical Instrument corporation. Maybe Fender likes to keep it generic because they have there attention elsewhere.

I don't know for sure just thought it was interesting . Fender has so many signature intruments.......why no amps?

20. dorianadams

dorianadams Member

I have to dig around for the article on the Twin but here is a quote by EJ on grounding from this 2005 GP article .
    http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/obsessive-perfectionist-eric/aug-05/12234

EJ “I plug into the same positions on the power strips every time, because once you get the polarity right, the tone is more consistent. [Note: No part of Johnson’s rig is grounded, because the vintage amps and Waber power strips don’t have AC ground pins. Johnson also feels that ground pins attract “dirty” power. Therefore, he has carefully arranged the polarity flow of each piece in order to prevent hum or shock.] I figure out which position has the best tone with the least amount of buzz, and I mark it. I also use separate power strips for each thing, which makes the sound more pure, although I’m not sure why. The dirty rhythm head plugs into the main power strip that goes to the wall. The lead head plugs into another strip that feeds off the main one. The Fenders’ power strip feeds off the lead one, and the pedalboard’s power strip feeds off the Fenders’ power strip. If I plug everything into one power strip, the distortion sounds hashy.

from his tech
    What does he have the most difficulty letting go of?
    Dirty power. At an old theatre, we will search until we find our own isolated circuit that offers us the best clean power. When we plug into the P.A. power, his AC line level drops every time there’s a spike from a kick drum. He also thinks that all the dirty electricity goes to the ground pins, so his rig is completely ungrounded. He has all the amps plugged into certain sockets in certain power strips according to polarity to achieve the best tone and avoid getting shocked.

PS EJ has not used a Dumble sinced the early 90's when he blew up the power tranny in his SSS.