The Marshall Superlead .... is there anything it CAN'T do ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    The 1959 100W plexi and metal panel! It is just such a nicely balanced amp that just totally RIPPS with anything that is plugged into it!! :love: This amp screams ROCK AND ROLL! !!! !

Discuss [​IMG]

2. VHS analog

VHS analog Member

3. Dr. Tweedbucket

Sure it can!

The reissues are set up with way too much gain. You can swap a feedback resistor, cut the bright caps and have a TON of headroom with a Strat. You too can use a 12AT7 in the pre amp to tame it down a tad. It is a super dynamic amp and you can actually hear what type of pick you are using! Jazz would be a cool thing with a Superlead! :bong :bong :bong

4. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

Got one inbound. A 1971. Can't wait to crank it.

5. Dr. Tweedbucket

Cool! YOu'll love it if you got a good one!!

I jammed though a Dr.Z and a couple Mesas tonight and finally plugged into the Marshall. Holy CRAP! there is no comparison!!! I have to put some amps up for sale !!!

6. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Yep - own a couple Metal Panel's myself - 71 50w, 72 100w, and 73 50w. They all RIP!!!!!! I guess you can say I like Metal Panel Marshalls!!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    72 100w

[​IMG]
    71 50w small box

[​IMG]
    73 Super Bass

7. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I'm jealous! :drool I think my next amp is a 100 watt metal panel. What's the going prices on these guys? Same guts as a Plexi without the huge price tag, right?

8. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

You can easily find early 70s PTP in good condition for less than $2k.

Yes, essentially the same as the Plexi's. But, even the Pleix's through the years had small tweaks.

9. jgyn

jgyn Member

Love mine.
    Of all my gear purchases, guitar, amp or otherwise, the most revelatory.

10. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

My 1973 always blows my mind and made me realize NOTHING compares to the original HW's, though the NEW HW's come close. With mid 70s on up you have to search and try before you buy to get a good Marshall. I love late 70s 2203/04s

BTW, where do you guys put your 12AT7's? IN the PI or V2?

11. Dr. Tweedbucket

man! That first one is super clean!

All I have is 2 of the metal panel / black bat switch 1959S (2 of 100 first reissues produced in 1988) .... they sound like the real deal after clipping the bright caps.

I almost had a minty 73 and then the seller backed out to sell to some dealer. :bong

12. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

So compared to a JCM 800 how do these suckers line up on the gain scale?

13. Dr. Tweedbucket

I have a 2203 and with the gain down and master up, it sounds very much like a superlead..... but then I have a metro amps turret board in mine :dunno

14. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

Its too bad they only sound good for part of the nite before they crap out.......

15. jrigg

jrigg Gold Supporting Member

Yes they are the best amps ever.

16. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

Hey Tweed...how's it compare/contrast to your DR103? I'd think that's about the only amp that could hang! :dude

17. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

Easily? Methinks it has been a while since you've priced any of them in earnest.

18. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Yeah - it's literly mint. I bought it from a guy who literly stored it under his bed or in the closet. He bought it new and used it once in a while for his stereo. ???? Anyway - it still has the "Inspected By" stickers on the trannies, and original Mullards. And, it SCREAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

MKII Superlead w/6550 output section US style power trans and cord, It's a nice amp for certain, an unruly beast. It will do fat big rock at high volume in a most convincing portrayal. Here are some things, however, I found it less suited for over the many years:

No simultaneous clean and singing lead at appropriately scaled volumes for live play unless you have a fuzz or hefty overdrive. If you dial it for the glorious internal thunder, the cleans get pretty brittle, bass light, and twingy with the guitar backed off.

No distortion at all until you hit about 90 decibels, which is about 3 or so on the volume, it actually can break up a bit at "2" with buckers.

The cleans are low resolution as compared with Hiwatt, Orange or big Fender cleans, and a thousand more modern amps have cleans which I now prefer. The thing seeths with hiss, which doesn't bug me really.

No reverb or loop, but you can use analog delay into the front end with pretty unique results. So surf music isn't a great fit.

Mine has always had some ghostish undertones when blasting up on the pipe, and other builders have got around that in the last 20 years without losing the steam and personality.

It is an "Alpha" amp in looks and attitude, easily my personal favorite for cosmetic appearance, and if a player wants to affect a menacing persona, be a bit sonically overbearing and or maybe blow some speakers and stuff, it's fine choice. I've really enjoyed it. Good amp for outdoor gigs when there aren't enough p.a. channels for miking guitars.

If you have the Ozzy gig, you're certainly good to go, but you need two.

I cant really play it with people like I used to many years ago but it does make a good small group bass amp.

20. Griz

Griz Member

True. Almost year by year, Marshall gradually notched up the aggression factor a bit in the plexis. The late-run ('69) plexi amps sound a bit softer than the early metal panel amps (I've owned both), but they have the highest gain of the plexi-era amps. Sort of bluesier rock tone than the metal panel amps, which I also love.