The Martin Backpacker thread.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by doc, May 18, 2011.

1. doc

doc Member

Just got a used Backpacker.
    My brief take on it is this; very cool concept, and very close to done right. My biggest issue is the lack of a truss rod, and the action on mine is too high due to a mild bowing. I plan to add a piezo pickup, and with that I think it will be even more handy. There is much made of it being hard to hold without a strap - I've found that it is quite comfortable and usable with the strap if I perch my right forearm on the body - that also resolves the "neck dive" issue. I appreciate the good quality materials used, and think the overall design is slick. Mine is the steel string model, and although the acoustic sound is thin and "banjo-like", I think its not bad. I suspect it will be better balanced with silk/steel strings.

I think the CA Cargo blows it away as the ultimate travel acoustic, but it is no longer made and more expensive. If I can improve the neck bow, I think I'll be very happy with my Backpacker.

2. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

Sounds cool. I used to have one of those for riding on the school bus to and from school. Never used it for anything else.

3. choucas09

choucas09 Member

Martin recommend light strings, but I put on 12's and tuned it down 2 steps. It's got more "size" this way. Never had any neck issues.