"The Mesa Boogie Mark Tribute Thread"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

If you have a Mark Amp lets see it and hear what you like about it.

Mark I

Mark I reissue

Mark IIA

Mark IIB

Mark IIC

Mark IIC+

Mark III No Stripe

Mark III Black Stripe

Mark III Purple Stripe

Mark III Red Stripe

Mark III Blue Stripe

Mark III Green Stripe

Mark IVA

Mark IVB

Colesiums as well.

Heads, Combos, and all the different wattages.

You Name it Baby.

Blue Marvel likes this.
  2. Melodyman

Melodyman Member

Bought it new in '99, still have it :AOK

Not perfect and certainly has its flaws (and I do have some days where I don't get along with it lol), but overall the amp has been very good to me and I can play quite a wide variety of music with it :)

[​IMG]

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

i don't own a mark series but I have endless gass for a good mark 1. The holy grail of overdrive amps IMO.

kludge likes this.
  4. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Have a Mark IV really great amp after I put the 6v6 tubes in. Really interested to see what the Mark V has.

5. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Still have a Mark IV combo (need to send back to Mesa for repairs..) and used a different Mark IV combo for years in a cover band - loved the versatility and overall tone....constantly got comments on how "thick" my tone was...

Rollin likes this.
  6. angelo

angelo Member

Bought my Mark IV in 94 or 95. Over 1,000 gigs with it and I still have it. It's "ok" as the combo, but just comes to life with my recto 2X12 cab.

Never fails to satisfy, I use all three channels, eq as a lead boost, and no, I am not afraid of knobs. Simul Class, triode for me. Pull shifts push IN!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  7. max_1975

max_1975 Member

I love the Mesa Mark sound (it's my sound)!

I have:
    - MarkIII green stripe with Simulclass. Originally was in the combo format with EV12L (too heavy!), this week should be re-housed as short-head
    - Quad Preamp (Mark IIC+ and Mark III sound)
    - Triaxis
    - Simul 395 power amp

8. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

Here's mine. It's a '99 that I got last year. I love the thing. I still yearn for a Marshall of some kind but this gets close enough for the band situation. It's my favorite amp so far.

[​IMG]

Darth Weller likes this.
  9. rrhea

rrhea Member

How cool!? I just did the same thing with my Mark III Green Stripe. :) I bought mine as a combo back in 1992 (ordered it to spec brand new) and just recently converted it to a head.

[​IMG]I love the tone of these things! I currently use mine in a Classic Rock band and it just smokes. The clean channel on these amps is severely underrated and the crunch and lead channels have that legendary sound. Just fantastic amps.

You can read about it on my blog:
    http://funguitars.blogspot.com/

RR

10. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Here's my IIC+. Tripped over it (literally) at the local shop. Got it for $650. Had Tim Schroeder in Chicago do a cap job. Put a Mullard 12AX7 in the V1 and some NOS 7581A's from KCA. Has an EVM12L. It is the warmest, fullest amp I have ever played. "Melted butter" is how I describe the sound. First time I plugged my Strat into it, it was true love. Didn't even know what a IIC+ was at the time.
    [​IMG]

11. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

somebody say "Mark"? ( ok, a couple Lonestars in this shot too)

[​IMG]

Original Boogie Mark 1 ( #355) Koa wood combo, 60 watt. Amazing clean, super punchy and dynamic. There is no hiding inconsistent picking with this one. Takes pedals great. Obviously easy to get that "santana" thing going on, but gets loose real fast with too much preamp gain so you can't get carried away with it.

Mark IIC+, simulclass. The very definition of Boogie Mark lead tone. Not as gainy as the III or IV, a bit more open and defined. This amp responds to the guitar controls and picking better than the III or IV. I usually just put it in lead mode and work the controls because it cleans up so well with volume roll off. I think this is alot of the real magic of the IIC+. If you just play your guitar full on and rely on channel switching, the Mark III or IV is probably just fine. If you like to interact more personally with the amp, the IIC+ gets the call.

Mark III green stripe, 60 watt, R2 volume mod. What impresses me with this amp is R2. R2 dimed on this thing out-marshalls a marshall. Great crunch tone. More gain on lead than the IIC+ but doesn't respond nearly as well to the guitar. More "raw" than the IIC+ or the IV.

Mark IVa. Super versatile. Not as dynamic as the IIC+, but not terrible either. R2 is not as good as R2 on the III, pretty much requires a boost hit to work well IMO. Where R2 on the III is "marshall", R2 on the IV is more like "pushed Fender". Cleans are nice, Lead is fat and smooth. Not quite as gainy as the III, but more than the IIC+. More refined than the III. The IV can be used for nearly anything, while the III is more of a straight up rock and roll animal.

I love the Lonestars. IMO, the Lonestar may be almost considered as the Mark 1, perfected. The clean is not as punchy, its a softer amp to play, but very 3d sounding to me. The lead channel on the Lonestar, especially when hit with a touch of clean boost, is probably my favorite lead tone of all my amps. Fat and singing. Yum. Lonestar is not as "middy" as the Marks either. My dream "Mark V" would have Lonestar channels 1 and 2 and the Mark Lead channel.

12. Danny W.

Danny W. Member

I just posted this shot in a different thread, but what the heck.

Mark IV, bought new in 1991, with Thiele & open back cabinets, each with EV-12L speaker; my main gigging amp for 11 years:

[​IMG]

Danny W.

P.S.: Note the BF Tremolux the drummer & I are using as as keyboard monitor!

wilto, Kostas and Blue Marvel like this.
  13. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I bought my mark IVA in 2001, I had never tried one before I bought. A good friend recommended it and I took the plunge. It has been my #1 amp soon after I bought it. The interesting thing is I have never gigged with, but I have used it at band practice many times. I guess I like it in the studio and prefer to use something more straight forward at shows. Mine has been modded with a bias pot, so I can adjust the bias. Stock the amp was biased cold. I am able to bias it back to stock setting if I choose.

I don't have any recent picks of my 1990 mark IVA, but this is the latest one I have.

[​IMG]

14. lutelover

lutelover Member

My first Boogie was a Mark IIB from 1979-ish. Used it as a combo. I really liked the "punch" to the sound, and at that time the overdrive was so utterly cool

Next, a Mark III. I seem to recall liking the R2 channel a lot, but over time it proved just beyond me to tame the volume. I didn't know about the volume knob mod at the time. Nice amp.

Next, a Mark IV. Very versatile. I thought the R2 channel was terrific, and interacted well with the guitar. The lead channel was good, although I often seemed to struggle to get it bright enough -- it seemed unnaturally dark. Having said that, there were lots of good sounds in there. And the switchable options were very impressive, if not at times daunting or frustrating. One person wrote that he was able to dial in a convincing IIC+ sound; I'd agree. It was pleasantly close.

Next, a Triaxis. I thought -- still do -- that it was a fabulous concept. But used with the 20/20 power amp I could only rarely get the preamp to EQ up the way I wanted. A way dark sound to my ears.

Finally -- the one that remains -- a IIC+ modded from a IIC. A very unique lead sound coupled with (to my ears) a quite responsive Fenderish rhythm sound. Comparing it to the Germinos I have its sound left me surprisingly unimpressed; it sounded thin and "plinky."

However, playing the amp through a Germino 2x12 box with greenbacks, the amp suddenly went into another sound world, and a magical one at that. The thinness disappeared, and a wonder blossoming in the lead tone took over. My experience: played as a combo, it's a good amp; paired with a larger box, it is quite magical and a blast to play with. Very musical.

In sum, I like (liked) the Mark series very much, and I'm glad I've had each one. If I had it to do again, I would not have sold the IIB and I would have sent the Triaxis back to be re-EQed. I would like to someday have or at least play a IIB again, and I would purchase a Mark I or a Reissue Mark I. Maybe someday.

15. Cussion

Cussion Member

60 w Mark I head from mid-'70s. I love it.
    It has a great "singing" quality to the tone. Listen to early Larry Carlton ("Room 335", "Don't give it up") and you know what I mean.
    One of my favourites!

16. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Cool replys guys.

Thought I'd throw this in there.

[​IMG]

17. mrmax

mrmax Member

MK II, MK IIC, MK IV, 2 Simulclass Satellites(stripped down MK III or IV).
    6V6's in a MK IV ;makes the best, sweetest sounding fun toy I have had the honor to abuse (repeatedly) ,and then to slave that into FX, run that as W/D/W setup with the 2 Satellites & 2 Thieles drives me to a Earth Shaking Eargasm (repeatedly)...sorry need a cig now, tell you about the MK II's later!
    :drool:drool:AOK:AOK

Samarasa likes this.
  18. nagshay1818

nagshay1818 Member

:drool Mark I Reissue :drool

[​IMG]

Best sounding amp I've ever owned/played through. With a Gaspedals Dumb Bell, it takes it from amazing to unbelievable. I know running a dirt pedal into this baby is almost blasphemes, the I swear the Dumb Bell into a Mark I is probably the best sound I've ever heard from an amp.

19. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

I also have a MK I RI. I did the Gil Ayan mods on it to smooth the distortion, take out the fartiness and improve the reverb. Unless I fall prey to a MK V, I'll have it a long time. It's a hardwood with EVM-12L. I plug into Input 2 and use pedals for gain. It's a shame it weighs a gazillion pounds, or I'd gig with it more. I guess that's why I have my Studio .22+ with an Altec speaker. It's a Boogie that can be moved without a forklift.

20. zachman

zachman Senior Member

Have owned several MK Series amps and still have 2. There are so many GREAT tones in these amps.

MKIII Coliseum Simul-Class (180 Watts of Awesome) I was told this was the 13TH MKIII Coliseum produced of approximately 200 total, and I am the original owner. I bought it from the factory back in 1986.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MKIII Blue Stripe Combo (I don't have a pic of this amp, but will take one soon enough)

Kostas likes this.