The Mesa Fillmore 25 is really really good

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ryno1331, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

I would 3xpect you could put TAD or JJ 6V6s in the Fillmore 50 (or a pair of each) and it would be fine. If it doesnt have an EL34 bias switch then get the hottest 6V6 you can find... or mod to adjustible bias.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Japan_Antoine likes this.
  2. mikeller

mikeller Member

Artists like Journey, Def Lep, Bon Jovi, AC/DC etc. I had zero problem dialing it in to work for me. I have a Royal Atlantic 27 extension cabinet if I ever need more, but like I said, I played at a large outdoor venue a few weeks ago that attracts several hundred people or more and it worked out quite well.

3. mikeller

mikeller Member

I run an Eventide H9 > Boss DD500> Neunaber Immerse > Flying Dragon Boost thru the loop on my Fillmore 25.

Pablomago likes this.
  4. Pablomago

Pablomago Member

Sounds like it would work fine with my stuff if it works with what you have. Thanks!

mikeller likes this.
  5. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

There are no bias switches on Fillmores. I would call Mesa tech before trying to put in 6v6.

6. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

I'm not falling for another Mesa ! Must resist

Ryno1331 likes this.
  7. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

Resistance is futile.

sugarlou likes this.
  8. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

I've learned that the amp section is not a good place if you struggle with gas...

Stratburst70 likes this.
  9. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

Don't try one then because you will most likely be buying one. Definitely my favorite amp right now. My Mark V is collecting dust. I played the cleans on the V the other day and it sounds dull and flat. The Fillmore has that vintage dynamic warm yet chimey tone.

I might just get the 25 or the 100 Fillmore to add to the 50. Maybe both. Its a good price point as well, in between boutique hand wired and the made in sweatshop grade amps.

There might be better sounding amps out there but I don't want to know...I already spent 6k on gear so far this year and we just sold my mom's house so I will have a windfall in 2 weeks. I gotta stay away from this place now..

Ryno1331 likes this.
  10. relix63

relix63 Supporting Member

That's why I stay out out of this section for the most part.

Daytona57 and Ryno1331 like this.
  11. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

The 6v6s I listed can handle 6L6 voltages.. i put 6v6s in most of my 6L6 amps.

6V6s run very cold at 6L6 bias levels.. will not hurt anything as far as I know. Just mind the need for impedance mismatches.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  12. kselbee

kselbee Supporting Member

Wow... and no need for dirt pedals? The Fillmore must be more versatile than I even realized. I’m going to have to check one out.

13. mikeller

mikeller Member

I have a few dirt pedals also - in front of the amp (Suhr Riot & J. Rockett Dude) for use depending on needs of the song The amp gain is very smooth and versatile however

14. WornFrets

WornFrets Supporting Member

I played these at Mesa Hollywood during NAMM and absolutely fell in love. I never owned an amp like that before; I'm used to vintage Fender or other amps of that ilk plus dirt pedals. Waiting for the right one at the right price and I will absolutely pull the trigger!

15. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

So, I ended up getting a hair up my ass and ordered the 25 head from SW. It'll be in tomorrow morning. I'm curious to see how it'll shape up against the LSC over time.

VooDooClown and Ryno1331 like this.
  16. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

I've been playing mine lately with a 2x12 suhr cab with h75 creambacks and love it. I also really like the single c90 and think it's a great fit but the oversized cab and those speakers really give it some girth for a 25 watt amp.

VooDooClown likes this.
  17. VooDooClown

VooDooClown Silver Supporting Member

I agree. Those oversized 2x12's really work well with the Fillmore 25 head.
    I also have my 25 watt head running through a 2x12 cab. I'm using a Germino open back cab loaded with M65 and H65 Scumbacks.

Ryno1331 likes this.
  18. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

I've got my 2x12 Lonestar cab with C90s that I'll be playing it through - sounds like it'll be a good fit.

Can't wait to give you all my impression tomorrow.

VooDooClown and Ryno1331 like this.
  19. Pongo

Pongo Member

Good post. Love it when people are happy with their toys.

I really really like both the 50 and 25, but wasn't willing to drop any cash, since it wasn't full on love, and I had a HRDIV that really "got the job done" at the time (albeit, with a lot less personality than the Fillmores). I know a handful of people who did take the plunge, though, and they all seem more than satisfied, and like the amp as much or more several months after making the purchase. That's a really big vote of confidence.

Your comment about humbuckers and pushing Mesas is really spot-on. They do have great master volumes, however, they have a couple models that just sound, for lack of a better term, phlemy at low volumes when using humbuckers (I own a Lone Star Classic & Recto-Verb 25, and can confirm they be that way)... But man do they sing when you turn 'em up!

Ryno1331 likes this.
  20. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I foresee one of these in the Future. I'd really like to run it as a clean channel/pedal platform on one channel and primary dirt channel on the other. I'd much prefer the 25, but need to determine if it has enough headroom for me.

Ryno1331 likes this.