The Mesa Mark V kicks @$$!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Deaj, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Deaj

Deaj Member

I just wanted to get the word out. That's all. :D

2. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Still haven't heard those clips! It's time to walk the walk!

:clips

;)

3. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Well after having it about 2 weeks now ...
    I'd have to say it gets better as the speaker breaks in ...
    One important factor I've come to realize is that letting the power tubes have precedence
    really improves all the good things already great about it,at least to my ears it does ...

(In other words, leaving the master control all the way up most of the time,
    and tweaking it as it calls for the gig from there...)

4. Jon

Jon Member

How do the cleans (and the overdriven tones for that matter) compare with the Lonestar? I assume you've got the Mk V 1x12 combo - do you miss it not being 2x12?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  5. Deaj

Deaj Member

Agreed. Regardless of how great it sounds even at lower volumes the amp is definitely at its best when the output section is working hard. I love the clean channel with the mode switch set to middle position, voicing switch set to Bold, 90 watts, master all the way up, and the volume set just barely low enough to keep things clean with a heavy attack. Bold is an understatement - it sounds and feels incredible!

6. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Hey guys, talk is cheap. I won't believe a word of it till I hear some clips. Where are they?

;)

7. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

8. suckamc

suckamc Member

After a lot of tweaking (and figuring out what does what... it's like Mission Control on that panel), I was able to dial in some clean tones that I'd never heard from a Boogie before. I don't usually play master volume amps, but I was pretty impressed by the tones in that thing... once I had mastered the learning curve.

9. yabasta

yabasta Member

all the knobs scare me.

10. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    You're certainly doin that Deaj - hehehehhe :D

11. scottl

scottl Member

I really dig the one I tried at NAMM last year. They offered me an artist deal to get one. I am still mulling it over. However, and with no bias, I greatly prefer the tone and feel of my current crop of amps. Not sure whether dropping coin on the Mesa makes sense if I prefer every aspect of my current rigs.

It did however sound really fine and feel good too. Just saying it is really good as is, but not quite there for me, compared to what I am used to.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  12. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Well the cleans have a fat setting with is supposed to be the same as a Lonestar Classics ...
    Yet there is even a skinner, cleaner 'clean' setting on it which adds even more snap..
    & yes, I do miss the bigger room filling beam of 2x12s..
    but with that being said the response of the notes are a bit tighter & a little more immediate with the Mark V combo

Wow.. & you both play & help design those other great amps you always sound so stellar on ...
    So even that you stopped by to leave a positive comment about the Mark V means a lot Scott...

13. Deaj

Deaj Member

That Scott would still be mulling over an artist deal on a Mark V is certainly a compliment to Mesa. It's not even in the same neighborhood as the Dumble voiced amps he shows a preference for. I personally find it fits in nicely beside a hand tuned Fuchs ODS (though, again, with a very different voicing). IMO this is Randall Smith's finest work!

14. Deaj

Deaj Member

Did I happen to mention that the Mesa/Boogie Mark V kicks A$$?!?!?!!??

It does. You have been warned. :)

15. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

You know... You've never really explained what the Fuchs sounds like.
    Only that it's different from the Mark V..

How so bro ..? :)

16. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    yeah Deaj - how about some sound clips of both so we can hear the diff :p

17. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

Well, I agree that the Mark V kicks major ass. In fact, I just got done blasting crunch and Mark IV modes.

The crunch mode with the gain at about 9:00 has Alive! tone for days.

:dude

18. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

19. Deaj

Deaj Member

I'm just now trying to get back to recording (psoriatic arthritis has limited my playing significantly over the last 2+ years). I just finished putting my DAW back in order last week and I'm expecting to have some time to record a few clips while I'm off work between Christmas and New Years. I'm a little rough around the edges so don't expect much in the playing. I'll try to get comparable cleans and overdrive tones to demonstrate the most significant differences.

As demonstrated by some of the media posted on the net it would take a lot of sound clips to demo all of the unique tones and textures available in the Mark V. I'm not going to try to cover the whole thing - just the tones I'm using (Clean: Channel 1, Fat mode, Bold voicing // Rhythm overdrive: Channel 2, Crunch mode // Lead overdrive: Channel 3, Extreme mode, Bright voicing).

The Fuchs ODS has a broad frequency range available. This is evident in the detail present in every aspect of the amps sound, clean or overdriven, at any volume. This said the amps voicing is definitely focused heavily in the midrange frequencies. Adjectives (or phrases) I would use to describe it's voicing: round, broad, warm, buttery smooth, harmonically rich, somewhat polite. It's basically voiced much like an 80's style non-HRM Dumble ODS. The overdrive is deeply textured, smooth, articulate, and chewy. The amp can bear some teeth and works well for classic rock but I find it too polite for anything more aggressive than this. This amp is extremely responsive to player dynamics in both tone and texture. This allows for vocal-like expression with delicate detail. Tone controls are passive and offer subtle filtering for low, mids, and highs - like most vintage Fender and Marshall amps. Almost any setting will sound good - it's hard to make this amp sound bad. The tone stack is shared between clean and overdrive modes. More often than not a shared tone stack makes balancing clean and OD difficult. I don't have any such problem with the Fuchs ODS. My preferred settings provide a very balanced tone for both modes.

The Mesa also seems to have a broad frequency range available though one gets the sense for this by exploring the vast potential the amp makes available to the user, not necessarily at every setting. The Fuchs has a very clearly defined voicing and personality with a lot of flexibility to shape it to best suit the user. The Mark V has split personalities - many voicings, many textures. it can be set to sound similar to a variety of amp types from the last 60 years. Not dead-on copies of specific amps but rather general voicings similar to a category of amps (tweed, blackface, Vox ACxx, Marshall JTM/JMP/JCM, Mesa Mk series) while maintaining some of it's own character. It's a little like an all tube modeling amp though, again, not aping specific amps, just providing voicings similar to series of amps (I hope all of that makes some sense). What makes this amp different from other amps that try to cover several unique voicings is that this one doesn't compromise anything to accomplish this. Each voicing is wonderfully executed! Adjectives (or phrases) I would use to describe the amps character regardless of the channel/mode selected: Warm, harmonically charged, urgent, glassy highs, fairly aggressive attack. Overdrive characteristics are all over the map with some subtle characteristics present regardless of channel/mode in use. Tone controls respond like active boost/cut type controls and they're very sensitive - a little goes a long way. Each channel has its own tone stack, gain, presence, and master volume so each may be optimized and balanced against the other channels. The MkV is also very responsive to player dynamics providing a bit less variation in tone and texture but a wider vowel-like expressive quality as compared with the Fuchs ODS.

I cannot make either of these amps sound like the other. They are very different sounding amps in almost every way. For all of the flexibility offered in the Mark V it doesn't seem to be capable of copping the Dumble tones. Conversely this is the only thing the Fuchs ODS does. This is just fine by me!

This is just how I hear them. This stuff is way too subjective to provide an accurate working description for other ears. I hope it's helpful though. :)

20. Literally Elvis

Literally Elvis Member

I'm already sold on the Mark V, just need the money. No one responded to my earlier request for measurements, though. :( Any chance I can as again?