The mid engine C8 Vette will come out in 2017 ... maybe

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals

And I always thought of America’s sports car having a front engine and 3 pedals.

I wonder if it’ll keep the pushrods? ;)

EricPeterson likes this.
  2. StealthHunter

StealthHunter Member

I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I think the last good-looking vette was the C6 widebody.

steve sanderson likes this.
  3. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Got to stay relevant I suppose, only can take the front engine so far. That said, what they were able to accomplish with that design the last time around was pretty spectacular, I am excited to see what they are cooking up now though.

The grand sport? That was pretty great.

Pedal Dan likes this.
  4. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I liked it better as a Ferrari F488 or F430:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Pedal Dan

Yeah... just to get that low front end, they would have to go mid.

6. Pedal Dan

Probably the main reason the Ford GT’s have doubled in price.

An automatic may be quicker... but it ain’t as much fun!

7. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

hmm... I like it, but I liked the Ferrari, it is obviously derivative.

sahhas likes this.
  8. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

They've already been spotted in public (in camo). :dunno

ckfoxtrot likes this.
  9. steve sanderson

steve sanderson Silver Supporting Member

Gotta toss in my two cents worth. I have a C6 convertible which I think is gorgeous. If the new C8 is going to be mid engine and look like the concept car mama mia!

Enough with the old man and sporty cars comments! After I retired I took a part time job doing dealer swaps for the local Chevy dealer down the road from where I lived in Vermont. They asked me if I could work on a Saturday morning to give a customer who was picking up his new car a ride back to the dealership after he took the new car home. They said you'll like the guy, he's a WW11 vet. Next morning I get there and out front is a new SS Camaro convertible. The old boy shows up, does a walk around and gets in the car, fires it up and sits there taking a look through the owner's manual. We'd gotten a dusting of snow overnight and the roads were wet and slick. I was going to follow him in a 4 wheel drive pickup. He pulled out of the yard and dropped the hammer, fish tailed a ways up the road, made a hard right and blasted up the steep road leading to the interstate. I couldn't keep up with him. Once he hit the interstate he was gone.
    He got to his house and had to wait for me to catch up. On the way back I learned he'd been a Marine carrier pilot in WW11 and by the time he retired he had been flying the F4 Phantom. I told him I'd flown helicopters in Viet Nam, Bosnia and Iraq and we shared a bunch of stories regarding flight school and life in general. It was a real honor to meet the guy. I hope he's still tearing it up in that Camaro. Steve

10. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

11. Tonekat

Tonekat Silver Supporting Member

The front needs a makeover.

12. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Gold Supporting Member

13. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

I guess I'll need to do some research is the mid-engine coming out any time soon like in years or is it still decades?

14. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

There is far too much evidence, photos and even track time to say it's not coming.

15. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

The GM Styling Dept is a dubious place. Many of their ventures look half-finished. I'll have to see this one in the plastic before I know. (I assume they'll keeping making it in fiberglass, a position I haven't understood.)

The current Z51 edition is the best Vette I've ever driven. So much fun, tracks amazingly well and precise. I'd love to have one. I was actually surprised by the engine noise, but it was livable.
    Am curious what the mid-engined Vette will sound like in the cabin.
    I do know there a lot of Corvette guys who do track days and maybe the mid-engined car will appeal to them. I do know that I am scared of the Z06 and the ZR1. All that power, I'd get it broken loose, no question.

If the price gets up to Boxster territory, that might be tempting fate. I know Boxster aren't anywhere near as powerful, but they're still some mighty fine rides.

sahhas likes this.
  16. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

My wife took the first photos and video of the C7 in camo.

VCuomo and sahhas like this.
  17. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

if you read the book "All Corvettes are Red", it's an interesting look into the process of how the C5 was developed back in the late 80s/90s....there are a lot of things going on that you just never think of, I found the book very interesting.
    The one thing I guess I've never understood was why they didn't make them out of aluminum and why they haven't been AWD vehicles, if you're wanting fast super-car...that's what most of the supercars are made of....ok, if you want to get pricey, then you go carbon fiber...but that drives the price up. I just think it's funny they hold on to the rear-wheel drive, my 99 Mercedes Station wagon had all wheel drive, and had like a 250hp engine or something, and honestly that thing could move, it it just seemed like a clunky station wagon. But I guess they haven't contacted me for input on their new supercar offering.....

the other funny thing I think, is if they are just testing engines in the previous models, why do they need to put all the "coverings on it"...the coverings make it stick out like a sore thumb. Just drive around the C7 w/ the C8 innards-I mean who is going to notice? I've always found that odd!

18. rsm

rsm Member

cool, I always liked the Fiero. o_O

19. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

IIRC, the magazines have been predicting that it'll be a 2020 model year that's introduced in late 2019.

20. VCuomo

VCuomo Member

They're past that stage. They are testing prototype C8 engines in prototype C8 bodies/suspension.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    sahhas likes this.