The MIKE LIPE guitar thread . . . share your Lipe.

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by pass it, Jan 1, 2013.

1. pass it

pass it Member

There are a few threads about Lipe guitars but hopefully this thread will serve as a place to share stories and pictures as more players discover these special gutiars.

I custom ordered a Lipe guitar last Spring and liked it so much I've ordered two additional guitars since then. This is why . . .

Mike is the absolute best builder I've worked with. He is flexible, reasonable (no absurd up-charges), his communication is always timely and he meets his quoted completion dates. I've found none of these to be the norm in guitar building or guitar repair.

If you've played enough guitars to know what you want (what woods and neck dimensions) . . . Mike will deliver it. I'm a fan of super Strat guitars. I've had several of most the boutique makers. My favorites are Lipe and James Tyler. This Lipe classic (with IVO model headstock) is the sweetest sounding super strat I own. It has a quartersawn maple neck,
    Brazilian rosewood fingerboard and alder body.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Besides the feel and playability you'd expect from a masterbuilt instrument, The tone of these guitars are superior. Mike's unique truss rod and neck joint make a difference. Lipe guitars have uncommon sustain and clarity. Below are pics and description from Mike's catalog . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
    scr@tchy likes this.
  2. schoe1

schoe1 Member

3. Psh511

Psh511 Member

I picked up a used Lipe on TGP a couple of months ago and is the best plaing and sounding guitar I have owned ( in my opinion and compared to my Tyler, Callaham and GMP). My friends who owns a number of Suhrs felt the guitar was just as good as his and couldn't understand why he isn't better known as a builder.

4. Just1more

Just1more Member

Here's my Lipe strat, custom job. Ash body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, Callaham hardware, Lollar pickups.
    [​IMG]

macmax77 likes this.
  5. pass it

pass it Member

Nice. Looks like pretty serious flame on that neck. I like the acrylic pickguard too. Reminds of a D'Pergo soft top.

Check out this Vintage Guitar Magazine review of a LIPE Virtuoso.

http://www.lipeguitars.com/html/vintage-ad.pdf

6. JunkGear

JunkGear Supporting Member

7. Lambone

Lambone Supporting Member

There are some really nice ones on the DAG page right now!

8. pass it

pass it Member

pytsai likes this.
  9. Stu_R

Stu_R Member

Some beautiful work on show here. I've never played a Lipe but they look wonderfully built!

10. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I've seen and heard Lipe's guitars in the hands of a fine guitarist, Jeff Jensen, so they are on my watchlist.

11. pass it

pass it Member

Mike is going to be at NAMM. I asked if he could give a preview of some of the guitars he will be taking and he sent a few pics of this one. He is super busy finishing guitars for the show. I won't be at NAMM but if you will be you should check out his work in person.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. daklim

daklim Supporting Member

Just figured I'll add to the Lipe love....

My 25" Lipe virt. Mango top on alder, roasted maple neck. Amazing instrument. Mike's a great builder and a super nice guy to boot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    $tratcat likes this.
  13. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

i knew mike many moons ago when he was doing custom stuff for ibanez. before that he worked at a music store and made guitars by order only. he made a surf blue strat for a friend of mine that was quite nice. flashbacks...whoa.

14. BG Loft

BG Loft Member

Super nice Kev!!! Great
    Choice of woods!!

15. pass it

pass it Member

From NAMM . . . love this carve top with flame maple!

16. gdw3

gdw3 Member

Nice vid, Marcus. I loved that last one you played -- I believe it was a Korina body, and that cool natural stripe on the lower bout was so awesome looking, especially in person.

I'd like to post my own Lipe photos, but my photos are either on Facebook or Flickr, and I don't think this page won't let me post from there, and I don't have attachment privileges. So here's the URL to my Flickr photo set, if anybody's interested:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90861857@N00/sets/72157629415161908/

Gorgeous mango cap on a mahogany body. Maple neck. Rosewood fingerboard. He also did this beautiful thing with the binding, where he cut a strip and matched the grain going over the edge. It looks natural, but it wouldn't look that way with just the edge of the wood. Cool touch! There's a detail shot of it in the photo set. Hipshot bridge and tuners -- love these! GraphTec nut -- I'll never use another type from now on! Amalfitano pickups, of course. Alnico V in the bridge HB and we changed to an Alnico II in the neck, with one of Joe's hot single coils in the middle. I had Mike do some custom stuff for me. I wanted a compound radius neck, 10"-14", which he'd never done, but did it perfectly. Had him measure my Strat and Les Paul, because I wanted the width of the Strat at the nut, but the Les Paul at the 12th fret. He also measured the depth of the Strat neck. The result is the most perfect feeling neck I've ever held! I also had him round off the neck joint. And I wanted less of an angle for the 5-way switch, but not all the way horizontal. Perfect -- now I don't whack it out of place with an over-enthusiastic strum.

He actually liked some of the changes I made. The model is the Twisted Soldato, but I told him he needs to make me an artist model called the Twisted Gordato (my name's Gordon). He laughed. Still waiting to hear back on that!

17. pass it

pass it Member

I have a Lipe due to be finished in a few weeks and am getting excited about it. It will have a faded trans blue finish like the one below that is for sale by one of Lipe's dealers overseas. Mine will have a spalted alder back and brazilian rosewood fingerboard. Can't wait! Will post pictures when it arrives.

[​IMG]

18. pass it

pass it Member

lowyaw likes this.
  19. Hemy

Hemy Member

We've a couple in the shop at the moment...

Virtuoso
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soldato
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Super cool & stunningly beautiful guitars!

20. Stratclaw

Stratclaw Member