The Mini Plex Mk II has landed!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kojack19, May 16, 2008.

1. Kojack19

Kojack19 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks to everyone for the advice over the past few months. My Fargen Mini Plex Mk II arrived yesterday and with only about two hours on it thus far (work is a bummer) I am very, very happy with my purchase...Two things that really stand out thus far...

1. If you have kids or live in an apartment building or you are concerned about your listening environment, this amp needs to be on your list. What you hear on the website and in the clips is absolutely representative of what this amp can deliver.

2. I was expecting this amp to be great at slightly overdriven to higher gain territory but I have to say that the clean tones are awfully nice as well. This amp is not a one trick pony by any stretch.

I am making the usual power scaling/MV mistakes that everyone has mentioned and believe that I will get the hang of this with time. That being said, for those of you who own one of these please share your favorite settings for the volume challenged...

Also, if you have any favorite reverb pedals or od pedals to use with this amp it would be great to hear your thoughts as well.

Thanks!

2. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

Congratulations on the great amp!!!! I love the Miniplex II and it is an amazingly versatile and cool tone machine!

I also think it has very nice cleans...definitely put the amp on full power and dial out the power scaling entirely to get the best cleans...well, you probably already thought of that...otherwise, I found the sample settings at fargenamps.com helpful for getting started with the power scaling.

I haven't messed around with od pedals much with the amp as the amp itself has so many od tones to offer.

Enjoy that amp!

Eric

3. hathisisfunnyha

hathisisfunnyha Member

4. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Awesome... I had a Mark I that was a great build and sounded really, really good but it just was not my cup of tea (my bud played it with a strat and sounded like Jimi... for real - it was a great match, not sure why he didn't buy the amp from me on the spot). I think with the right guitar and the upgraded PS and VOS circuit it could have been perfect for me too, but alas, it was perfect for someone else. Although, it's back in the emporium right now but that's okay. Someone will grab it and get it to Mark II specs.
    I appreciated the build quality so much I just bought another Fargen too!!! I grabbed that little Bastage from DaveS... I can't wait to hear what this little 4 watt Voxy beast can dish out. ef86 + EL84, volume + tone.... how could I go wrong? :D

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

+1!

6. Kojack19

I will post Pics on Sunday night-unfortunately a busy weekend in front of me...

Sickboy79-is that a ref to Social D? If so, LP goldtop with P90s sounds great with the amp...

Currently running a Marshall 1922 2x12 I bought used. Will be loaded with greenback and a G12H 30 per Ben's direction soon.

7. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Love, love, love this amp. Congrats ... and I predict you'll come to love it even more as you get to know it better.

8. SoCalSteve

SoCalSteve Member

Congrats! I'm saving for one of these myself...............:RoCkIn

9. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Ben makes some great amps.

10. Kojack19

Short update...New speakers in my 2x12. Despite the fact that they are literally brand new, big improvement on an already great amp. Spent about 30 minutes with my goldtop Les Paul and another 30 with my telecaster. Both sound fantastic. Generally I feel like you are drawn to playing music that sounds good through the gear that you have...So, that being said, Zep and a lot of the Cult esp the Love and Electric albums were played with the Les Paul. The tele sounded good playing just about everything-RHCP, Mark Knopfler with a reverb pedal and early Who. Was really rocking with the gain up, yet still sounded great clean with a very simple twist of the volume knob.

Pictures and full review to follow now that everything is in place...All I need is to find some time.

11. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Member

After much research on TGP, I bought a ZVEX Box of Rock to drive my Miniplex. Not only did it provide the perfect JTM45 gain tones, but it also expanded the tonal capabilities of this single channel amp. Now I have Clean, Clean+Boost, Drive, Drive+Boost. Also, I noticed that Guitar Center is now carrying them, so you better buy one now before they become a mass produced Box of Chinese Parts! Currently I'm running the BOR, Ruby (Shuguang) 12AX7s and a Valve Arts KT66/ JJ 6L6 mix into an Avatar Bluesbreaker style cab equipped with a G12H30 with superb results. Have Fun and let me know when you find tonal nirvana!
    -Bender