The MJM Blues Devil

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by notubble, Jul 19, 2006.

1. notubble

notubble Member

This is my first thread, so, Hello All, thanks for the info i have been gathering from the shadows for a few weeks now. you guys make the day at work go by quite a bit faster...on to the real stuff.......

How are you guys liking yours, im thinking of getting one. I heard at least one person had it put into a different casing by MJM because the knobs would get in way of foot. How do others feel about that, and are you very happy with the purchase?

If not, what are some other OD's to look at that have a smooth sound...

Also, TRex Replica, worth the money?

Sean

2. gururyan

gururyan Member

Are you talking about this one?
    [​IMG]

That was mine, although I wasn't the original owner. I love my MJM London Fuzz, but didn't care for the Blues Devil. You might check out the Banzai Cold Fusion, it's a great pedal and can be found on ebay or here for fair prices on rare occasion.

3. DocRock

DocRock Supporting Member

The MJM Blues Devil is the best-sounding Tube Screamer I ever heard.

4. stratofied

stratofied Member

+1.

5. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

+ another 1. I have been very impressed with the Blues Devil. The knobs are diagonal and don't get in the way at all because the switch is in the lower right corner (at least for me). This pedal just sings, yet it has a little grit too as you turn up the gain.

6. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

The Blues Devil is a good pedal, but my favorite of the MJM line is the Roctavios by far.

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

great smooth sounding tubescreamer-like pedal...I sold mine because on more than one occasion my big foot turned the volumn control off when switching the pedal on...

having it reboxed is a must IMO!

there are tons of good choices from the low end (price wise) Keeley/Analogman modded TS's to the $400 Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive/Klon Centaur and everywhere in-between....

Chow,
    Seegs

8. Stk1520

Stk1520 Supporting Member

Picked up a Blues Devil recently and, as mentioned, it’s a top notch TS style pedal. I already owned a TS-808 reissue with the Analogman Silver mod and they’re virtually identical sounding --- the BD has a little more ‘grit’ or ‘edge’ to it with a bit more gain available while the TS-808 Silver Mod is a bit smoother sounding to me.

I’ll probably get banned from the board for admitting this but . . . . . I own the above mentioned pedals plus an Eternity and my favorite OD pedal is still the $39 Bad Monkey. Go figure.

9. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

:BEER '

Yup, I'm with the doc on this one too.

Great organic OD tones, truly outstanding with neck pups.
    Have had mine for years, it is beat to snot but still sounds killer.

I also LOVE my Roctavios, that is my "go to" insanity pedal, mix that with an OD or distortion and some wah and look out!!

10. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Senior Member

A GREAT OD, that hung with the best Ive owned, including the Landraff, CJOD, etc

11. lexluth1

lexluth1 Member

I agree with the other posts...This is the best TS-type of OD out there. It has a very unique attack to the notes. I have the diagonally boxed version and found that you can move the level knob by mistake when using the footswitch. I took the knob off the level control and it's fine. You could also change the knob to a round one which would not change setting as easily as the chicken-head knob. Definately a MUST HAVE pedal if you're playing through a vintage amp! I'm playing through a '67 Super Reverb, and I use it as my main drive sound.

12. 1968

1968 Member

Love mine.. I just bought an Analogman KOT- but still prefer the breakup of the blues devil..
    I am still yet to try a KLON stacked with a BD.. Gassing badly to try it :0

13. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

I've owned a bunch of Tube Screamers and it is the best of the Tube Screamers - period. I originally had a gold one, but for whatever reason, sold it a long time ago. I rebought an early blue model that is mine to stay.

[​IMG]

Its the real deal...

14. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

It's an awesome TS808 clone. I don't think I'd describe the OD as smooth though. Mid hump & bass loss is still present and the grit has a reedy, nasal presence. But that's what makes it kill with a good blackface style amp. Smooth OD's, to me, are the Blues Boy Deluxe, Tim, Rumble Mod, Hot Cake Bluesberry, Klon.

15. drolling

drolling Member

Yup - The BluesDevil, a strat and a '63 Vibroverb was my entire rig for many years.. There's very little paint left on mine, but it still sounds like the very best of the old 808s, with a bit more gain, as mentioned above. If you like that type of tone, it really doesn't get any better than this..

16. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I have both on my pedalboard and they will work together...HOWEVER, the other night at a gig I started getting a howling when using them both together, too much gain I guess, and that was with hmbuckers.

17. silentstudios

silentstudios Member

No question. MJM Blues Devil smokes. I get nauseous just thinking about not having it on the pedalboard. I use it with an ES-335 and (sheepish grin) a Billm Blues Jr. Throw on a quality phaser like a PT-999 and she grinds like an old Hammond B3. SICK SICK SICK!!!

18. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

if you request a different knob layout, he'll make it for ya... and drill the box anyway you like for knob layout...i think i was told its about $20 more for this though...

19. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Or just switch out the knobs to ones of your choice.

These are $3.

[​IMG]

20. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

The Blues Devil and Replica are both outstanding.