The "Modern" Orange???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jokerjkny, Dec 22, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

any modern gents or boutiques doing such?

lookin' for an "At the Drive in" meets "Peter Green" kinda tone.

2. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

"Modern" Orange?

Because ATDI/Mars Volta tones can be easily achieved through a nice Orange AD30 head.

3. Sunstone Recordings

Sunstone Recordings Supporting Member

+1000 on the ad30. i have the tc combo.

4. ungarn

ungarn Member

Check out Matamp...

They now have a great website and have a US distributor in Jr Music...

http://www.matamp.co.uk/

Cheers!

5. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

Matamp is great too.

I personally love the modern Orange, I own an Ad15 that I adore.

I third the AD30 head but if you don't want the EL84 chime, you might try the Retro 50 Head or one of the Higher powered AD's. The Rockerverb cleans are fine but I don't have enough experience to say whether the other channel will get what you want or not.

Matamp has some great stuff all the way around.

www.matamp.co.uk

www.orange-amps.com

The GTO will give you what you seek with the right pedal grouping

http://www.matamp.co.uk/gto.htm

6. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Can't say I've heard a modern company really cloning the vibe of vintage Orange amps - present Matamp are quite different designs than the original Orange/Matamps.
    Electric Amps may well have a great take on it, but I haven't heard them.
    I'm having a tech friend build a OR80 clone.

7. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

My Germino LoVo 55 with the channels jumpered and both volumes anywhere from 5 to 8 really nail Jim and Omar's rhythm tone... for lead... anyone's guess on the pedals and effects that Omar was using and chaining together at the time, though there is tons of info on the net on what he used in particular for every time period/album/track and such. To me the Germino makes sense because I know a lot of what Omar actually recorded with was done with a Park Super-Lead style amp. The Orange's were used later and only for touring, and may have actually only been for clean tones and running effects through... but don't quote me on this.

There used to be a really deep, well oraganized gear site for EVERY member of the band but I can't find it ar this moment, I'll post it later when I get to my work computer where it is bookmarked:D

So yeah... Germino LoVo Lead 55... totally nails it for me.

-TJK

P.S Jim used Marshall's of some sort, I think it might have been JCM 900s...

8. Luke V

Luke V Member

I have a Rocker 30 Combo that I love. It has 2 cathode biased el34s. It is a very thick sounding amp. If you want to fatten up a strat, this amp will do it. The master volume is wonderful, no attenuator needed. I did put a Scumback 12H-55 in it to because I like the way this amp sounds with my vintage Marshall cab. I bought this thinking I'd use on some small gigs, or when I just didn't want to lug the halfstack. It's plenty loud and souds very big for a 1x12. I haven't used my Marshall since. I've had so many compliments on my tone , even from our regulars. The amp has a great feel to it, very dynamic. Bottom line, I love the new Orange Rocker 30.

9. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Jae - have you tried any of the recent vintage Oranges? Not identical in sound to be sure...but probably capture more of the older Orange vibe than any other amps.

And yes, I'd seek out a Retro 50 or an AD50 to try out. They're gorgeous works of wiring...ADE's right there with the best of 'em when it comes to anal-retentive wiriing jobs, heheh.

I played both last summer at Truetone Music and also a couple of the AD series amps one after the next. I found the Retro 50 and AD50 sounds to be VERY VERY similar and truthfully, not a lot better (if any...just not precisely the same) as the stock AD series amps.

I like the Rockerverb more myself because it has features I prefer (e.g., more clean headroom, more gain, effects loop, etc.) but tha's jes me...

Also, FWIW...I always had the impression that Peter Green's old sound, for the most part, was not Orange. It was Vox and Marshall, IIRC, and they often rented Fenders when they were here. I saw the original FM back in the day, and I don't remember what they were using...but I remember that they were stacks of smaller amps (probably AC30s or some older Fender combos).

10. Leonc

Hey Luke V - are you the same Luke from the Orange forum with the absolutely impeccable taste in strats? :)

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

hmm... the plot thickens..

and WOW, you saw PG in person?!?!?!?!?!

12. Leonc

Actually, when I think about it...I'm not sure they used Voxes at all. I think it was almost entirely Marshalls and Fenders. Trisonic may know for sure though...

Yeah, Jae, I've mentioned it on the boards as w/o a doubt, the best rock/blues concert I ever saw. I actually saw the old FM twice; first in about '68 with Green, Kirwin, Spencer, Fleet and Mc and then maybe 18 months later with Christine and no Green. The first show was right around the time of Then Play On and they did a bunch of great older blues stuff and then whipped out tunes like Rattlesnake Shake and Albatross. They did Oh Well before it was released on any recordings (later presses of Then Play On included it) and I'm tellin ya, It Was Kosmically Good!!!

I still get the shivers thinking about it those concerts. Think they went downhill as soon as Greenie split? Nope. Most Definitely they did NOT. When I saw them with Christine the second time, they did all the Kiln House tunes...This is the Rock, Hi Ho Silver... Spencer was killin doing his Elmore thang, but Danny Kirwin was G-O-D that night! Jewel-Eyed Judy...Station Man...OMFG...the most dynamic and intense rock music performance I've ever seen. And this was within months of having seen both Cream and Hendrix. Fleetwood Mac back then abso-freaking-lootly smoked.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i was sooooooooooo born in the wrong era... :jo