The Mojo Hand Nebula IV Phaser:

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by themeanreds, Jan 26, 2012.

1. themeanreds

themeanreds Supporting Member

It's damn good.

The depth and level controls mean that it's a bit more versatile than your average Phase 90 or Small Stone, but it stops well short of kitchen-sink equipped pedals like Subdecay's Quasar Deluxe. The depth and level controls are quite useful for me; I like very much to be able to set the depth for different rate settings (I tend towards 100% depth for slower settings, and back off of it a bit for faster rates), and the level controls just nudges the volume up or down (it's not a 0-to-100% adjustment) which is practical for dialing in the pedal with different amps and effects (for me, the level control is maxed when playing through a grinding amp, and at about noon when using a clean amp).

The deal-sealers:

A. It has a sweet spot for me. Most phasers do not; I either find them too goopy, especially on faster settings (Phase 90, Small Stone, and similar) or too subtle, particularly on slower settings (Phase 45). The Nebula IV's sound is right about where I want a phaser to sit.

B. I can find said sweet spot with a couple of quick knob twists. Phasers with a crapload of sounds and features are great, but, for me, a relatively traditional phaser makes sense on my pedalboard. Phasers that have only a rate adjustment don't cut it, as I like different depths for different rates.

In case you're wondering: My typical rig is a Gibson RD Standard Reissue (stock Burstbucker Pro pickups) or a Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster (Fralin Unbucker in the bridhe position)->too many pedals->Marshall JCM800 2204 (high gain input with the gain control set quite low). I also tried the pedal with a Fender Hot Rod Deville (clean), Vox AC15 (clean and overdriven), and Mesa Subway Rocket (clean and overdriven).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  2. YETI

YETI Member

Thanks for this. Its on the short list.

3. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Thanks for the review. Not much info out there on these yet.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  4. Theroyalconsort

Theroyalconsort Member

Sorry slightly off topic.

Anyone know of they are going to start making the 2 stage one again? My DOD 201 is dead and I need to replace it.

5. themeanreds

Not sure. Dialing back the depth on the Nebula IV gets me some sounds that remind me of a 201, but I don't have a DOD around to A/B.

6. themeanreds

No sweat! It's been tough for me to find a phaser that I really like, especially on stage, so I was inspired to share.

A Colossus has not left my board since I got it; it's my favorite Muff-style fuzz. It cuts through a mix very nicely without resorting to my traditional method of being heard with a Big Muff (turning up that much louder than everyone else and murdering the mix :bonk).

7. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Not to get too far off topic, but since we are talking about Mojo Hand pedals... the Sugar Baby Tremolo is the closest thing I've found to an old amp tremolo... delightfully thick and swampy! Really cool pedal.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  8. Jess 1971

Jess 1971 Supporting Member

Same here. I've been rockin' an old Sugar Baby for a long time now, and it's stayed on my board longer than just about anything. It's a simple trem with few bells and whistles, but it just sounds great, and yeah, sounds more like an old amp trem than any other tremolo I've heard. It also has an internal trim pot so that you can adjust the volume output.

I just ordered a Recoil delay. I think the Mojo Hand stuff is really great and the prices are good too. Plus Brad is a solid dude.

9. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure the Nebula IS a modded phase 45.

[Edit] Woops...didn't notice the IV designation.

The original Nebula was a 2 stage 45 clone. Not sure what this one is based on.

10. themeanreds

The IV sounds like a close relative of a Phase 90 to me, but i don't know what's actually going on under the hood.

11. warioblast

warioblast Member

I read it was a Phase 90 on Mojo Hand facebook.

12. themeanreds