The moment you realize you're mainly, maybe only, an acoustic guy

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Frozen Rat, May 14, 2019.

1. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later

From what I have been reading on this forum, most of the players started out on electric. I started out playing arch tops, and mostly Gibsons, and learning 1930's-1940's swing, jazz standards, and theory from a NY session player for 17 years.

I was not allowed to have a solid body until I got my first LP, a custom made one from Kalamazoo, when I was 21. Having spent most of my first 20 years playing on arch tops, I loved going to semi-solid and solid body Gibsons and Fenders.

I had some wonderful round hole acoustics as well, but unless I was requested to play a specific song, which needed an acoustic guitar, I don't touch mine anymore. If I were to buy one acoustic round hole guitar today, I would be looking at a Martin 000 of some type first.

If I decided to go back to an arch top, it would either be an L-5, (I had a custom made Gibson Super 400 back when I was playing that style), or a Citation. No other arch tops interest me.

2. beatcomber

beatcomber Member

You were not allowed...?

[​IMG]

C-4 likes this.
  3. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    Things were different when I was young. :)

beatcomber likes this.
  4. Rockerduck

Rockerduck Member

I like to see old timers like myself playing since the 1960's when you actually got good pay playing. That said, I started on acoustic when "Hootenanny" was all the rage. Moved on the surf, Beatles, Top 40, still had acoustic in those. I still play and sing, and its easier to play acoustic and sing now. I play a Gretsch 6120 and Taylor guitars. I use Fishman and Fender amps.

Irving Pye likes this.
  5. Penguinchit

Penguinchit Member

Mainly electric. Probably 99.5% electric. Acoustics just aren't comfortable for me to play and both of mine aren't that great of guitars as well. I wonder if it would be different if I had a quality acoustic but a big part of me won't invest in one because if I don't like it, I probably wouldn't get all of my dough back. Sometimes I'm told that my best is with the air guitar.

themannamedbones likes this.
  6. Irving Pye

Irving Pye Member

The moment I realized I was mainly an acoustic player.....Originally way back in the early 70's. I'd been a 3 chord, bar scene, rock 'n roller that drifted into another genre. Move to a few years ago. A friend that I jam with asked me to look at a Gibson 335 he'd inherited. While he was firing up the grill, I plugged in and started to play. After a few minutes, I set it down and shut off the amp...completely underwhelmed by the experience. It was then and there that I reaffirmed my acoustic calling. ;)

themannamedbones likes this.
  7. themannamedbones

themannamedbones Member

I’m 50, I’ve played in bands since I was 16. I love electric guitar, electric bass, but there is something so deeply satisfying about playing a really good acoustic guitar. That thump, the way it kicks into yr chest. I love them. Just bought a 12 fret hog Martin, it’s love y’all.

Irving Pye and OM Flyer like this.
  8. themannamedbones

themannamedbones Member

You really should treat yourself to a really good acoustic. Get it set up. And fall in love with that sound.

9. Penguinchit

Penguinchit Member

I would love to have a 12-string...

10. Bluesra

Bluesra Member

From all that Ive read on TGP I dont think its a matter of quality. Some people dont like the feel and difficulty of acoustic so they go back to their electric.
    Ive owned a handful of expensive electrics but my acoustics are all under $380. And i still wouldnt give them up. It clicked with me soon after getting my first acoustic even though I had played electrics for years, there was just something about it. Some people love the response and feeling of acoustic and some find it cumbersome and may never really enjoy it.

Irving Pye likes this.
  11. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

It's been an unusually 'acoustic guitar Summer' for me...

I gig ( usually) 50/50 acoustic or electric and since I now live in an apartment, I play only acoustic at home.

But this Summer I hooked up with a bass player who ( unlike me!) is good at booking, and we have been playing a lot of acoustic duo stuff at Wineries, brewpubs, restaurants, in VA.
    I bet we have played 10+ different venues, and we are getting repeat biz.

Plus I play in a bluegrass/folk jam thing, that seems to be morphing ( with some of us) into an actual group.

Playing acoustic like never before, but I'd be just as happy if situation skewed towards electric.
    (Still playing a guitar, and a lot of it is the same music anyway, for me)

Edit/update:
    played brewpub gig last night, and this group of 2 couples loved the music, want to hire us for private parties, including the 60th Birthday Party of one of the guys, who has same Birthday as me!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Irving Pye likes this.
  12. beatcomber

beatcomber Member

000-15SM?

If so, I have one too, and it's a delightful instrument.

Irving Pye and themannamedbones like this.
  13. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

I went to a guitar store yesterday. Normally I'd swing by the electrics and check out what is in stock. I glanced at two Gibson custom shop LPs on the way to the acoustics and didn't even do that much on the way out later.

My only problem now is my head having a hard time convincing my heart that two guitars is enough. Sigh.

Irving Pye likes this.
  14. bossaddict

bossaddict Supporting Member

Same here, but change the numbers to around 9 and 30, respectively.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  15. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

I started with both: a cheap acoustic and a blonde Strat I bought in 1974 because I (wrongly) thought it looked like Alligator (Garcia’s Strat).

Traded the Strat in as partial payment on a Taylor 815 in 1985, and that was basically my only guitar for about 27 years.

Finally got an electric again about 3 years ago, a PRS Vela. And then a carved top Archtop the next year. Getting each of them, I played them a ton with my initial infatuation. Now, with them settled in, it’s split between my four guitars about as follows:

Taylor 815: 40%
    Eastman Pagelli: 40% and about 3/4 of that is played acoustically.
    PRS Vela: 15% and about half of that is acoustically.
    Taylor Baritone 8 string: 5%

I want a Fractal FM-3, though half the time I wonder why.
    I sometimes think about getting other guitars, but I have had a couple of acoustics before, and I just end up playing the one I like the best and parking the others. I think about getting a resonator, a gypsy jazz model, a nylon string. Then I think I would rather be good on what I have. Same goes with thinking about other arch tops - though it would be nice to have an Archtop or electric that was specifically set up for fingerstyle playing.

16. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

For myself, those long stretches were great for my playing. I felt more in touch with the instrument whenever I returned to playing electric -- my vibrato definitely improved, and I could control amps better because I was more touch-aware.

How did your stints on acoustic affect your playing, if at all?

bossaddict likes this.
  17. bossaddict

bossaddict Supporting Member

I felt like it really helped my rhythm playing and made my hands a little stronger overall.

It really helped my songwriting more than my playing. More writing and less noodling.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  18. slooky

slooky Member

My first guitar was an acoustic. The first guitar I bought was a 12 string acoustic. I had only acoustics for almost 20 years. I started to record and decided to buy my first electric.
    I thought I would always be just an acoustic guy. Funny how things change.
    If I had a choice between the two. The acoustic would win out everytime. Something about the sound an acoustic makes, whether its me playing or hearing it in music that is special.

19. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

It helped that too, for me, but I've always written between 70-80% on acoustic anyway.

I play lead no matter the guitar. Playing lead on an acoustic really helped my skills, outside of the shred sort of stuff. I have a turn of speed here and there on a box too, but having to deal with finite sustain changed the way I heard each note -- and the way I finessed each note, too.

The other thing I love is fingerpicking on an acoustic.

beatcomber and bossaddict like this.