• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The more expensive the pedal the brighter the led. Please stop it!

Glitch Magnet

So how are we going to get "them" to do something about it?
Griping and shaming on forums may be a start. Ha. Beyond that, with proof of injury or threat, maybe a class-action lawsuit? I don't know. Them's big words. I'm not a lawyer (but I know they're here). If not a suit or legislation or official standard, then only the marketplace can affect their decision.

Rydock

I have to put masking tape over some of my always on LEDs. Don’t really mind the brightness on my gain stage pedals for some reason. JHS seems to scuff up the top of their LEDs to diffuse the light and make it a lot nicer. Might try doing this with Scotchbrite pads to some of my pedals to see how it turns out.

Guppie

Griping and shaming on forums may be a start. Ha. Beyond that, with proof of injury or threat, maybe a class-action lawsuit? I don't know. Them's big words. I'm not a lawyer (but I know they're here). If not a suit or legislation or official standard, then only the marketplace can affect their decision.
Well, I was thinking about doing it more European style (outside of court) and find some means of reaching out to the manufacturers as consumers. They should be open to what we have to say. Make them aware this is actually a thing for us.

W88

Builders will soon add an additional external knob labelled "Dimmer," due retinal damage.

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
I saw here one pedal builder explained that he had a reason for using particular LEDs in particular pedals, having to do with the function of the circuit. Some took the brighter ones, some not.

Don't ask me to explain it! And because I don't remember the details and wouldn't understand them if I did I won't ID him or go any further into it.

Maybe there's a builder who will see this and chime in with an explanation. Or refutation!

Simon

Silver Supporting Member
I like them live, especially when singing and stomping.

If I new how, I'd change all my red lights to blue.

Also I play outside in the Summer consistently.

That's also why I swear by Peterson tuners. They are the only one I've found that you can see in direct sunlight.

The MXR 10-Band EQ has a bright blue LED on every single one of its sliders. I would prefer if there was a single LED. I don't need that many, and don't need them to be blue.

All pedals should have an option to dim the LED or turn it completely off. They didn't need them 50 years ago, after all.

Glitch Magnet

Well, I was thinking about doing it more European style (outside of court) and find some means of reaching out to the manufacturers as consumers. They should be open to what we have to say. Make them aware this is actually a thing for us.
As a novice fan of science, it would be interesting to gather some evidence of both risk and user preference.

Risk requires pulling together established research on the matter. What proof is there that an LED of given color and intensity is harmful, and then how is specifically harmful in our given application?

Market preference would require some polls:
1. Do you prefer it A) bright enough for outdoor even if it's excessively or unbearably bright indoor, or B) appropriate for indoor even if it's unusable outdoor? You can't have both.
2. All other things equal, would you pay $10 more for the pedal that has selectable or adjustable LED brightness? Yes or no.
3. Would you be satisfied with an internal adjustment, or would you pay even more for an external switch?

I'm not gonna conduct any of this though. Too lazy, not invested beyond ranting and hypothesizing. When necessary, I've either changed out the LED or resistor, or applied a filter diffuser (colored tape).

One thing I haven't tried yet is sticking a clear adhesive rubber foot over the LED. Might have to scoop out a bit with a drill bit to fit over the LED. Someone actually makes and sells these. Don't remember who.

Dr.Twang!

Gold Supporting Member
This topic has been broached and exhausted in numerous threads. It's a real problem. Read up on the permanent eye damage blue LEDs can cause! They should be banned by law.

If I can't see the controls or labels due to glare, it's too bright!

Edit: I predict vision impairment will soon surpass hearing damage among long term musicians.
Join the “Stompbox Blindness” class action lawsuit in your state now:
Dewey, Cheatham, & Howe, LLP
P.O. Box 47 1/2
Horse Cave, Ky.

Glitch Magnet

Okay, here's what really peeves me. It's one thing to use bright LEDs. But why directional ones?!!! You'd normally want to see it clearly at maybe 45 degrees off axis. You don't want it 10 times brighter on axis! You need to be able to see the controls when you lean down, but you're blinded instead!

Seams some pedal builders are buying the wrong LEDs. If it shines a focused spot of light on the ceiling, it's the wrong type.

Guppie

Okay, here's what really peeves me. It's one thing to use bright LEDs. But why directional ones?!!! You'd normally want to see it clearly at maybe 45 degrees off axis. You don't want it 10 times brighter on axis! You need to be able to see the controls when you lean down, but you're blinded instead!

Seams some pedal builders are buying the wrong LEDs. If it shines a focused spot of light on the ceiling, it's the wrong type.
Indeed, this ^^^^^^

Trending Topics