• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The most emotional guitar solo of all time

Beto

Silver Supporting Member
From Rush, I'd say it's a tie between La Villa Strangiato's first solo (not counting the intro solo), Soliloquy and Limelight:

At 3:30:

You should listen to the whole track, as the solo develops the mood of the whole song and the lyrics:

StevenO

I have always been a huge fan of Nels Cline's solo on Wilco's PBS Live at Austin City Limits performance of "Ashes of American Flags". That's one of the only times I have ever seen a solo and literally had my jaw dropped. I had never heard someone played guitar like that and to this day it still blows my mind.

I hope you all like it as well!

2HBStrat

Every time I hear Europa by Santana, I get goosebumps on my arms, and my scalp gets this weird endorphin triggered rush.In the earlier parts of that song, you can tell he's barely holding back the onslaught, the guitar is slow and mellow, but the notes still have limitless sustain. Amazing....You?
I agree...

Obsessive Tinkerer

Silver Supporting Member
Very hard to pick... I’m going to bend the rules and go to artists.

Chris DeGarmo: you feel what he intended on just about everything. Master of build, story and completion. For example, early tracks on Mindcrime, the solos were anxious and on edge, Suite Sister Mary and I don’t Believe in Love are just anguish. I just can’t listen to Promised Land as regardless of the lyrics it’s so hurt.

Mark Knopfler: just poetic lead work, opposite end of the spectrum as DeGarmo. Just as real but very different emotional context.

ChrisVereb

Watermelon in Easter hay - Zappa
That one always does it for me

That's the first thing that popped into my mind when I read the thread title. It really has impact when listened to in the context of "Joe's Garage". It's a goofy album and that song is such a departure that the contrast makes it all the more powerful.

Reading through the other posts, I thought "Since I've Been Loving You" was also a really good pick.

Top Bottom