• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The Most Emotionless Musician on Stage?

Thunderlung

Silver Supporting Member
Gas-man beat me to it. Jay Farrar. I like the music but Spotify (vs. live) is the way to go on that one.

ClickClack

Thanks for the name spelling correction. I stood right in front of him at the first Crossroads festival. He did smile, and he played the most interesting guitar music that I've ever heard. But, he never moved from the spot where he was standing, which is what I thought that this thread was about. So, in that context, it's not nonsense.
Clarification noted and understood, although I would note that "motionless" and "emotionless" are different words with different meanings.

For me personally, I would rather enjoy the live performance of a talented musician with the skill to play well and produce interesting music as opposed to someone striking a bunch of poses while actually not playing anything very interesting. However, I must also acknowledge that this thread was not created to gauge how many people prefer one approach over the other. (I'm probably just cranky from so much social isolation.)

johnsav

Thanks for the name spelling correction. I stood right in front of him at the first Crossroads festival. He did smile, and he played the most interesting guitar music that I've ever heard. But, he never moved from the spot where he was standing, which is what I thought that this thread was about. So, in that context, it's not nonsense.
"Emotionless", not "motionless".

prototype

I saw Crimson twice in 73-74 and Fripp would at times turn his head back or up when he would play certain fast passages. That's about as animated as I've seen him get. But I wouldn't take the lack of posing and facial expression as a sign of emotional detachment; I think Fripp is very emotional when he is playing.
i agree with this. i have seen him live too and i would never say he is wanting for emotion. i saw his solo frippertronics performance in the early 2010s and if anything it reminded me of seeing the playing of someone like yoyo ma. not overly animated, but definitely focused and emotional.

slooky

He showed a lot of emotion during one King Crimson Concert that you could view on Construktion cd for a short while. Anyway he stops the concert to berate, humiliate and throw a temper tantrum at someone in the audience who took a picture with a camera. He actually wanted the guys camera. I couldn't watch it after that, don't even know if he got the camera or told security to throw the guy out. Geesh even Adrian Belew was taken by surprise and tried to calm the incident down. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. He lost me as a fan.

CGrisamore

I'd rather see no emotion than fake emotion. Let the music do the talking.
THIS!

I saw Johnny Lang live around the time that his first album came out and he was doing this awkward choreography and fake emoting that I found annoying and distracting.

twoheadedboy

This was years ago and I don't really follow him, so I have no idea if this is normal for him, but...

Eric Johnson

Years ago, I saw a live video from what must have been the final song from a B.B. King-hosted blues festival. B.B. King was the band leader, and the band included Buddy Guy, Eric Johnson, Gregg Allman, etc. B.B. and Buddy were full of personality, but Eric Johnson just stood there staring at his hands. B.B. King even went over to him to get him to loosen up or show some emotion or something. You obviously couldn't hear what he said, but he (B.B.) went over to where Eric was standing, and then kind of bent down to catch Eric's eye. B.B. then said something to him, and Eric Johnson looked up and then took a couple steps away from the band towards the front of the stage, but then he went right back to staring at his hands. It was really strange. I remember thinking that his tone was the worst of the bunch too.
Eric's lead tone is very dark, and his clean rhythm sound is very scooped. In a mix that is built around his guitar sound, it all works fine. However, when he does a guest appearance on stage with a bunch other guitarists, his sounds don't cut through. So, it's not that his tones are bad. It's that they don't work well in every context.

Trending Topics