THE Most Expensive pedal (vintage or boutique)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fzkicksbuttock, Oct 17, 2005.

1. fzkicksbuttock

fzkicksbuttock Member

Any idea on what is most likely the most expensive pedal? Can be vintage or new, but specific players' pedals aren't allowed (i.e. not Hendrix's univibe). Exchoplexes coun't as "pedals" for this.

2. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

That $5000+ Way Huge Camel Toe would be a serious contender.

Maybe some old "classic" TS808?

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Anything by Pete Cornish, though people (MANY pros) swear by them. Hey, they look seriously cool so they MUST be all that! Ps...I'd really like to eventually get one, but not sure which one. Another contender...Klon, especially 'vintage' pieces.

4. eric-d

eric-d Member

Yeah, the $5000 WH Camel Toe was ridiculous.

5. jeak

jeak Member

You should read Analog Man's Guide to Vintage Effects. Great book. There's a chapter called "Hen's Teeth," about the rarest of rare effects. I bet any of them would top that Camel Toe.

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

That $3k Dumble fet amp was pretty silly too.

The last Electra Psychedelic Machine I saw went for over $1k and I was in the bidding right till the end. Next one will no doubt be twice that.

$5k for that way huge pedal was laughable. I'd say one of Jimi's pedals would exceed that though.

7. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Definately a Pete Cornish Integrated Effects Board... come on now... those things gotta be clearing anywhere from $5,000US to $15,000US depending on what you get done... not sure if it counts as a single pedal at that point or not though... but still CHA-CHING!!!

-TJK

8. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Lovetone pedals are getting pretty out of control as well.

Jeff

9. Richards

Richards Member

The most expensive I believe would be the EMS Synthi Hi Fli, and then maybe the Ludwig Phase II Synthesizer, very rare and can be very expensive, working synthi's can go anywhere from $3000 to $4500, and both sound killer, they are rated as the two most rare pedals in Analog Man's book// first being the Ems Synthi HI Fli, second most rare is Ludwig Phase II. I am proud to own them both............... Please take a look

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/harrison_georg/my_photos

10. theelectic

theelectic Guest

I think this subject becomes more meaningful if we qualify things a bit:

Let's stick to current production, new retail (or direct) prices, since vintage nuts/collectors can always make something stupidly overpriced (see Camel Toe, Dumble preamp).

And let's stick to made and sold in the USA/North America products, since the ONLY reason Pete Cornish single pedals are "expensive" is because of the local currency. The strength of the british pound compared to $US is 1.75 these days ($1.75US buys one GBP). A Fulldrive costs 209 GBP in the UK. Even regular BOSS or DOD pedals cost 40-75 GBP each! Everything is simply more expensive these - take your typical $US price and make it more expensive, but in GBP. You don't even want to know what gas costs!!

And let's stick to actual pedals, i.e. something that runs mostly off a 9V battery, you can stick it on a pedalboard, and it has a built in stomp switch (so no TTE).

That narrows things down considerably - a long time ago (1995), there was only one new pedal that pushed the $300 mark, and that was the Klon (how much are they new from Klon these days, still $279?) These days everyone and their brother seems to have a $300 pedal, so what pushes the $400 barrier? The $500 barrier? Only a few come to mind, that's the Landgraff D-OD (which is more like $389 new I think), a couple of the Blues Saraceno Dirty Boy pedals (Cannibal and Tone Bully, $400+ each), the Diamond Memory Lane ($425), and the Toneczar Echoczar ($675). The last two are extremely complex, feature packed, handmade products which softens the $$$ shock somewhat. Yes, you pay a lot but with those two delays, there's a lot going on inside and they're pretty much unique. The Landgraff and Saraceno pedals are unique in their own way, but their complexity does not even begin to approach that of a delay so I can see where a lot of righteous indignation comes from.

Oh yeah, don't forget 12AX7 tube based pedals from amp makers, those routinely push $400 but I don't think anything you can get new retail surpasses the two delays mentioned above.

11. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

:cool:

12. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I think I paid like $1200 for my Pete Cornish Wah. If I had it to do over, I'd do it again!

[Stratovarius dons protective gear and awaits abuse]

13. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

strato,
    bore us with your Cornish wa stories please! What does the Wa do that others don't? i was thinking about getting a Cornish board about 3 years ago (had talked to pete and everything), then the $$ took a dive , turning the extravagant into the impossible.
    Am content with my Cornish A/B/Y and G2 for the moment, but have had random thoughts of the Wa and delay(again, silly expensive).

14. trisonic

trisonic Member

You can't ignore Pete Cornish stuff. It's pro quality.
    To consider only US stuff is not right; this is an International Forum.

Best, Pete.

15. frank62

frank62 Member

this is interesting. while not a pedalboard per say and not current or the most expensive.as of yet. the fender reverb unit, the univox univibe, the echoplex, 808 TS, and vox wah. if i could have anything i wanted it would be these originals. these pieces have and will stand the test of time. in 25 years nobody will care about the "way big moose foot".

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

right, I don't think ignoring international pedals will be effective.

I think we should look at it like this: North American Pedals (in US prices, bought in the US) and European/British/Other pedals (in US prices, bought in Britain). Then we can figure out which ones are truly the most expensive, without customs and shipping and whatnot

We can also add australian or whatever's needed

17. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Why not? I'm not knocking his products in any way, his pricing is simply the reality of his location - the strength of the GBP will always make his products seem expensive to $US buyers. So let's set them aside (since we know they're at the top price-wise) and look at pedals made in the same area (North America) for a useful (and SIMPLE) basis of comparison.

If you want to get into relative pricing comparing currencies taking into account the adjusted per capita income, lack of VAT, fuel, oil and shipping costs, historical currency valuations and fluctuations, etc. etc. etc. - well, be my guest :)

18. trisonic

trisonic Member

True, it's complicated!
    My "problem" is that I have one foot in each country and just don't see it the same way as everyone else.

I get sensitive about such things - an extreme example was when a major N.A. guitar collecter was moaning about all the quality vintage pieces leaving the country and I replied saying: "Yeah, I agree but what about old Marshalls, Voxes and Ferrari's in the 'States?" He had all three.....

Best, Pete.

19. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

if U'r talking about current pedals manufactured in the US of A, a consideration has to be the metasonix buttprobe.

http://www.metasonix.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=34

$525.00 USD.
    only one hundred were made.
    a lot of money for a very sick fuzz pedal.
    i don't have one. i have a metasonix agonizer and intend to get a buttplug before they sell out and the price goes the same direction as the agonizer.
    not for the timid.

20. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

The PC stuff is VERY expensive no matter where and when you live, though i'll grant you it is more expensive now.