The most fun I have had with modulation was with...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Junta, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Junta

Junta Member

What's the modulation pedal you have the MOST FUN with?

Think about that for a couple of secs - 'fun' :dude... Not the best sounding chorus, not the cleanest trem, not the most Hendrix vibe...

For me, it has got to be the Moog MF Flange... or shall we call it, as Moog did, "Bucket Brigade Harmonic Manipulator"? :):)

Oh Moog! Why did you have to discontinue the Minifooger line of pedals :(? You had already killed the gargantuan but next level Moogerfoogers... Did you have to stop making their little capable and affordable brothers and sisters too?

Check this out - here I am totally messing around with the MF Flange - the most fun I have ever had with a modulation pedal... See the switch in the middle? The bottom position takes you to an entirely new flange territory: vocal flange... What :dunno ? Listen and see!. Bass guitar added, and even a few seconds of vocals :D...

Yup...off the charts serious :mad::nono:mad: musical achievement!

Musical achievement score: a solid zero :bitch
    Fun with Modulated Guitar Score: 10! :beer

Classy looking too... Stereo via TRS if needed. Affordable. Wacky as a proper Moog pedal! Does excellent 'Andy Summers' like chorus tones...
    [​IMG]

My second in line would definitely be the Boss DC-2W, here together with the Moog MF Flange... (80s modulation-madness ahead - turn it up!)

Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 10:37 PM
  2. PedalCrazyFool

PedalCrazyFool Gold Supporting Member

I'll tell ya, my favorite multi-mod box is the NUX ModCore. I love, as it sounds great, the vibe is really good (it's NUX Monterrey Vibe) and all the others, man, they work well and sound great. The thing is really tweakable, and it's well under $100.00. Heck, when I got my first one it only $34.00!!

3. Junta

Junta Member

That is insane! Criminal not to try one! Cheers!

PedalCrazyFool likes this.
  4. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

Most fun for me is a combination of pedals, not just one on its own.
    EQD Rainbow Machine > Dr Scientist Bitquest (bit crusher mode) > Boss DC-2w. It gives a pretty cool lo-fi kind of sound at more subtle settings, but it can get wild when you start tweaking things. Add a Korg Miku at the beginning of that chain and things get really crazy.

5. oldpotion

oldpotion Member

The liquid-smooth flange on the old Alesis Quadraverb. Beautiful digital flange!

Junta likes this.
  6. Junta

Junta Member

Wow you live up to your avatar motto: "Man.... When you heard “There are no rules”, you really stopped f*cking around, didn’t you?"

Cheers!

Jamie_Mitchell likes this.
  7. MadFrank

MadFrank Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Long post...

I had a lot of fun exploring modulation pedals that I usually wouldn't try when I owned a Kemper. Big library of Modulation on there, lots of variations and very tweakable. I discovered a newfound interest in Leslie sounds which I had previously dismissed, Flanger, delay's I wouldn't normally explore... it's really great fun playing around with a comprehensive multi fx if your used to an all analogue board. Layering expansive reverbs and pitch shifters with all kinds of dirt options. It's like being given the keys to a big guitar megastore and told you you muck about with whatever you like! I also discovered a real appreciation for the Rat sim. I've never actually had one, but it's now on my wishlist.

I never did get along very well with the core tones and playing interaction of the Kemper though, so it eventually went. The effects were the most fun and rewarding part really, but not what you buy one for.

In analog terms, the most fun modulation I've had so far are - early 70's Big Box Small Stone, set low speed with a good splash of reverb thrown it for atmosphere.
    Occasionally a great throbby pulsing trem sound does a very similar trick for me.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  8. Junta

Junta Member

Looking it up right now! Cheers!

9. Junta

Junta Member

"The Alesis Quadraverb is a programmable stereo effects box processor utilizing four digital effects, originally released in 1989." - hmmm, I am becoming rack-curious... LoL

oldpotion likes this.
  10. MadFrank

I have a suspicion that's the rack reverb that Jeff Buckley used to record Grace with, including 'hallelujah'. In that case, it maybe the greatest reverb unit ever produced!

Fantastic cook likes this.
  11. Riffa

Riffa Member

I remember having loads of fun with my old, long-gone Ibanez CS-505. Had to sell it years ago for some reason, but I do miss it. I also love my yellow DOD Phasor. No phaser sounds like it. I have a hard time switching it off!

Flouncingfleasbag and Junta like this.
  12. Junta

Junta Member

exactly what I mean - I have a hard time turning off the mf flange! It is like I want it on everything...

Riffa likes this.
  13. oldpotion

oldpotion Member

I have a love/hate relationship with it for a couple of reasons. Well, that is a bit strong but let's say it can be a fustrating bit of gear. Quite unforgettable though. Here is a song based on one of the patches, chorusstrings2, which is actually a flanged hall reverb. The dry flange is lovely too and it's what I immediately thought of with this thread. :)

MadFrank and Junta like this.
  14. Junta

Junta Member

bold, in YOUR FACE modulation!

I dig it. A lot!

Flouncingfleasbag and oldpotion like this.
  15. babbyb

babbyb Supporting Member

The LFO on the Moog MF-104M delay is maybe the most fun I've had with any mod.

16. Junta

Junta Member

LEGENDARY MOOG! and I sadly missed the boat on it at regular prices...

babbyb and Flouncingfleasbag like this.
  17. Fatherflot

Fatherflot Member

If I ever create a retro computer-generated animation character known for his wit and stuttering, electronically altered voice, his name will be "Nux ModCore"

18. MadFrank

Damn I just loved this era of the Verve! I'm always glad I got to see them live.

oldpotion likes this.
  19. AlexMalaska

AlexMalaska Member

I used to own a Strymon Mobius (that I sold because I guess I’m a cork sniffer and it just didn’t stack up to my analog effects). I had a lot of fun making super wild presets with that thing. I made one with the engine that sounds like vowel sounds and was just cracking up. The ring mod on there was a lot of fun to play with too. I miss it mostly because of the fun factor of just screwing around with it

sigmundc and oldpotion like this.
  20. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

I have been really into stacking modulation

Standard trem into harmonic trem
    Harmonic into harmonic trem
    Phaser into harmonic trem
    Phaser into phaser
    Set them to slightly different speeds and it's wonderful

I also found out in really like a phaser or univibe before a wah