The most immediate instant DISAPPOINTMENT with a new amp purchase ?

NorCal_Val

When I first started playing, back in 1980, all I could afford were used Peavey amps, and they were f_cking awful sounding. None of those old Peavey amps sounded good.
That put me off being a Peavey owner until 2017, when I acquired a “script” 5150.

COYS

I was disappointed after getting one of the first Bassbreakers and seeing the glowing reviews, it seemed very dull and dark to me in comparison to the demos I heard.

But this is all so personal - it wasn't a good match for my stuff and my preferences. It could just be that I feel like an amp should sound good with all the dials between 10 and 2 so I have a lot of adjustment range, and I am loathe to spend a lot of time with amps that don't.

jm9239

Silver Supporting Member
H&K Tubemeister 18. Picked a head up as a cheap practice amp years ago and it crapped out after less than 2 weeks of use. Returned it to GC for a full refund.

Kelly

Fender Champ 12 back in the 80s. Broke the first week I had it, took Fender 10 months to fix it. It was the last new Fender amp I ever bought.

guitarman3001

Peavey Valveking 50 watt 1X12 combo. Flat, dead, lifeless, all around horrible. H&K TubeMeister 10 combo. Overly fizzy grainy mess.

Jecht

It's never immediate as I'm always thrilled to have a new amp and try to buy amps I think I'll like. It's always over time that I start noticing things that will bother me about an amp before I get rid of it.

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
I've never had an immediate, instant disappointment because I know it takes longer than an instant for me to figure out how to dial in a new amp.

That being said, there have been a couple that pieces that I knew in a relatively short amount of time it wasn't getting anywhere close to what I was hoping:

H&K Tubemeister 18
Laney IRT-Studio
Synergy/Friedman DS preamp module

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
- DV Mark Marigold: Sterile with too many mids.
- Carvin V2: Nowhere near organic sounding

Laurence

Silver Supporting Member
I've been very fortunate in this area. I'm generally very familar with the types of amps I buy, and I generally don't buy recent models. I don't mind putting maintenance money in an amp purchase; actually I expect it.

I don't sell many amps, but it happens once and a while; overlap or duplicates of some variety. If I were younger now I'd be buying and flipping for sure. There's so much good stuff out there, and the grass is always greener.

Last edited:

RockDebris

The only amp I instantly put back up for sale was the PRS 50 watt SE head. Seemed good on paper, but man did it sound off, the equivalent of fingers on a chalkboard. I'm not surprise they didn't stick around for very long.

dhdfoster

Silver Supporting Member
The most immediate instant DISAPPOINTMENT with a new amp purchase?

Two pages in, I'm surprised no-one has yet posted the most obvious answer to the OP's question:
"That it didn't make me sound like a better guitarist."
I think people are naming amps that made them sound like a worse guitarist. :)