The most immediate instant DISAPPOINTMENT with a new amp purchase ?

Axe Arsenal

Marshall JCM 900 SL-X (sounded like a fuzz box) and Hook Captain (great cleans but the overdrive channels not tight, too dark and no bottom)

Haruki

..... just sold an AC15HW , people love them, but for some reason I expected more, Top Boost didn't sound like the Youtube demos I heard
You're hearing a very compressed recording on YouTube; and who knows what microphone the demonstrator used?

Great amp for me, especially with the essential Celestion Blue alnico speaker. It lived up to my expectations. I only sold it because it was too powerful, so I got an AC4HW1 and retrofitted another Celestion Blue alnico speaker.

COYS

My worst amp was a 1966 AC30 that I bought new from Manny’s in New York. The second gig I used it for was opening for the Blues Magoos at the Night Owl Café in Greenwich Village. It started to emit smoke and quickly caught on fire during the first set my band was playing. Many people in the audience cheered, thinking this was performance art. I was not amused when Joe Marra, the owner of the Night Owl, asked me if I could do that at every performance. Manny’s graciously took it back, and I left the store with a 1966 Super Reverb that I used for many years. The Mesa Blue Angel I had was also a terrible amp, but at least it never caught on fire, although sometimes I wished it had.
That's the kind of story that I wish I could say happened to me :rotflmao

b80

It's only happened once, for me. For many years I had a Fender Hot Rod Deville 410 that I absolutely loved! So, naturally, I thought it would be even better if I bought a Fender Super Reverb.

I don't know if my ears were so tuned into the HRDeville, but I did not like anything about the Super Reverb. Didn't like the clean tone, didn't like how it sounded with my pedals. Perhaps enough time has passed that I should give it another go.... but no. I didn't like it at all.

I traded it for a Vox AC30 and THAT amp was glorious! It's the one amp I wish I still had.

The most immediate instant DISAPPOINTMENT with a new amp purchase ?

-Mesa Roadster 1x12 combo
I bought a Roadster head because it looked on paper to be exactly what I wanted. I did NOT like it, but looking back I realize that might have been a bad speaker pairing. If I'd had a Mesa Recto 212 or 412, the story may have been different, but I had a Marshall 1960A with T75s...and that was the wrong match for that amp.

Also, I may have been trying to make it act like a Marshall.

My amp disappointments are nearly always when I try to make an amp sound like something that it isn't designed to be. Not that they're bad amps, but my expectations aren't properly set.

zekmoe

When I was younger, Music Man 4-10/65. Totally terrible sounding. I played one about 5 years ago to see if it was just my perspective as a kid. Same, totally terrible sounding.
Recent ish. There was a Hughes and Kettner 1-12 maybe 10 years back that was getting buzz in the era of low power cheap amps. $399 if I remember. Took it out of the box. Played with for a few weeks, then let it sit for year before selling it. Can’t recall the model, but it was around when those one knob epiphones came out.

FokenBusker

Danelectro Honey Tone. Dang good price at $45 Canadian new, and the tone was absolutely killer, but I could never get a 9v battery to last more than 20 minutes in it. :( If I could get it to last for 2-3 hours, it'd be a damn fine busking amp.

Stratburst70

The only real amp disappointment I had was several years ago, when I traded my old DSL100 for a Mesa TA-30 head because the Marshall was just too damn big. I really wanted to like that TA-30 but I couldn’t get enough midrange.

The last straw was when I borrowed a Mini Rectifier as a backup for a show and ended up using the Mini Rectifier for the whole gig. I eventually sold the TA-30 for a good price and bought a Marshall Mini Jubilee instead. A much better fit for me.

LaXu

My amp disappointments are nearly always when I try to make an amp sound like something that it isn't designed to be. Not that they're bad amps, but my expectations aren't properly set.
Well put.

I had a little 15W Stephenson LJ10 more than a decade ago that was pretty home built looking on the outside, but handwired turret board stuff on the inside and a very forward thinking feature set with London Power power scaling, parallel single ended with one EL84 and one 6V6 etc. In hindsight I really should have not gotten rid of it because it was an excellent blues amp but not a very good rock amp because it had a lot of sag to it. Palm mutes went "flump" rather than "chug". Never had an amp more responsive to picking dynamics.

It was just the wrong amp for what I was playing at the time.

meterman

I bought a 50w Dumble Skyliner clone and was pretty underwhelmed. The cleans were too clean and stiff and the dirty channel was way too dirty for my taste. I couldn't get those lovely edge of dirt tones that I need...Still a great amp just not for me and my style, just don't think I'm a channel switcher or a Dumble guy.

dreamspace

Hughes and Kettner Tube 100 head from the 90's.

Flicked off standby, and knew within 10 seconds that the gain was not something I'd enjoy. After 5 minutes of tweaking I was just devastated that here was not a single usable sound.

Could've been the tubes, could've been the cab, but it just sounded awful. Which is a shame, as I've owned other HK amps that I've loved.

mikebat

Got a Roland JC120 to use in a A/B with a JCM800. Hated hated hated the sterile sound and stiff response. Sold it within 3 months.

Much later, bought a Mesa Roadster, trying to find a new sound. I tried hard. Bought boosts, OD's, checked every setting in band contexts....got it to sound alright. Turned on my JCM800....realized how much I really disliked the Mesa, and listed it on Kijiji. It took 6 months to sell.

With that money, I bought a PWE EH3, and never looked back. Still have the JCM800 too.

JoeB63

Supporting Member
Hmmmm, scanning memory banks.....

1. I traded the Carr Rambler that I gigged for 4 years, but never completely loved, for a Fuchs ODS 30 combo. I really liked the cleans on the Fuchs, but the OD sounded terrible when I played it. I had had a couple of D-style amps before the Fuchs, and they worked fine for me. A local guy came over to buy the Fuchs; he played it at my house for about 30 minutes, and he sounded quite good through it. Just goes to show you.

2. I bought a used Mesa F30 at a store here. Sounded good to me at the store, but once home, I did not like the OD sounds out of that amp at all. That "modern" thing - not for me.

3. Victoria Silver Star: Sounded great at the store (used amp). Once home, I realized that it didn't have enough headroom for gigging and at the same time, it was too loud to use at home at anywhere near its sweet spot. Plus it had excess noise -- I can't remember if it was hum or a tick. One of those.

I'm of the opinion that you need to spend some time with amps to give them a fair shake. I'm pretty sure that if I had tried my now-favorite amp at a store, rather than buying it on-line, I would have rejected it as "definitely not for me" in 2 minutes. It took some time, and a couple of speakers, to get me there.

blackba

First on that comes to mind was an Engl fireball 60, lifeless clean and punishing gain. Was expecting more versatility.

2nd was a laney vh100r, only later did I learn that the main cab I used with the laney was Not a good match with that amp. This was of course after I sold it.

I also have a better track record buying amps online than in after hearing them in person, at least as far as long term satisfaction. In person I tend to have some confirmation bias when demoing, only later to realize that I was too tied to the getting the amp and how much of a difference it makes to listen to an amp in your home environment with all the rest of your gear.

Peteyforto

Sadly a Soldano HR25 but only because of the high gain channel. I loved the Avenger I had and I thought I'd be getting the same vibe in a smaller package with a killer crunch channel too. The crunch channel is fantastic on that amp but the gain channel was really blatty. I put it up for sale after a day or so.