• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The most immediate instant DISAPPOINTMENT with a new amp purchase ?

moehuh

When I got my Dumble ODS clone, my first immediate disappointment was my own playing... That amp is so extremely direct and unforgiving, it was almost uncomfortable to play at first. Now I'm absolutely hooked and I feel it shaped my playing for the better. I'm even more impressed by guitarists how play these amps

Gemini2

Peavey Valveking 50 watt 1X12 combo. Flat, dead, lifeless, all around horrible. H&K TubeMeister 10 combo. Overly fizzy grainy mess.
I had a VK 50 combo way back when they first hit. I put a Celestion V30 in it and played it on my band’s recording project with the crunch channel turned up full volume with the gain at around halfway. I wouldn’t describe it as lifeless, just incredibly middy. However when we listened back to the tape my tone was dead on early AC/DC which could be good or bad, depending. But it was not what I was going for. The clean channel I WOULD describe as lifeless and stiff! Replaced that VK with a Fender Pro Reverb pro-tube series RI which was a much better fit.

LARRY GERSHON

Silver Supporting Member
Ive owned many amps, been through the whole emotional range of delight right through to horror, but the product which registered the quickest most instant disappointment was the Victory V40 EL34 Duchess Head.

Ive also owned a Victory Sheriff 22 head, didnt like that one either but it wasnt instant OMG what I have I bought like the Duchess was. Imagine wedging a king size mattress up tight against your speakers, that was how the Duchess sounded.......atrocious. Thankfully the shop I purchased it from has superb returns policy and within 1 hr I had arranged for them to collect it and refund my money.

I would love to try a Victory VC35 Copper which is their take on an AC30, but the Duchess was such an instant dud for me.
They are expensive but a Matchless HC 30 would be my choice. One of the best boutique amps ever built. Pair it with 2 Celestion alnico 15 watt speakers, tone to die for. If you can get vintage Vox speakers that is the best match. If you cant get this amp/ speakers to sound incredible irs not the amp haha.

LARRY GERSHON

Silver Supporting Member
I've sold every amp I have ever owned. I've had a few suprises that were expensive and did NOT do it for me, maybe because they were not tuned properly or tubes or just not a good match:
  1. Fargen Blackbird combo - super boring, nothing like a great blackface Fender
  2. Fargen Miniplex v1 - I have it on good authority that this one was passed around on TGP for a long, long time. Hopefully someone got it upgraded to v2 specs
  3. Morgan Dag 15 head - this one was definitely passed around TGP lol...
  4. Fryette Pitbull 45 2x12 - wanted to love it but super sterile in the cleans, not a fan of the overdrive. There was major tube rattle I could not fix so returned to GC used
  5. Orange Dual Terror - two channels of meh
  6. Marshall JVM 215c - so close to being an awesome 2 or 2 1/2 channel amp; every deep mod you read about online probably gets the amp super close, but I was not willing to work on a relatively expensive one to get it sounding good.
  7. EVH 5153 - liked the green channel (although sterile), LOVED the Blue channel, Red channel sucked ass
  8. Valvetech Hayseed 15 Head - I know Rob had many mods and this must have been needing many, super plain jane. Very odd because I later had a VAC25 which was great (and a very early build)
  9. Vox AC30CC1 - stock, sounded like ****; Modded by Lyle Caldwell (Psionic Audio) sounded like a choir of angles. Very stupid sale!
  10. Fender Bassbreaker 15 - almost really cool, ended up being super annoying
  11. Marshall Mini Jube - had the matching cab and the head at least 2x, could not escape the raspiness. Close but no cigar.
  12. Fender Tonemaster DR - close but no cigar.
  13. Peavey Classsic 50 2x12 - old band talked me into trading in my beloved Mesa 50+ caliber; f*cking hated that jangley POS from Peavey although my closest to "making it" guitar playing was done using that crap amp. Never really forgave the band members LOL.
You sold every amp? What do you play through now?

LARRY GERSHON

Silver Supporting Member
Ive owned many amps, been through the whole emotional range of delight right through to horror, but the product which registered the quickest most instant disappointment was the Victory V40 EL34 Duchess Head.

Ive also owned a Victory Sheriff 22 head, didnt like that one either but it wasnt instant OMG what I have I bought like the Duchess was. Imagine wedging a king size mattress up tight against your speakers, that was how the Duchess sounded.......atrocious. Thankfully the shop I purchased it from has superb returns policy and within 1 hr I had arranged for them to collect it and refund my money.

I would love to try a Victory VC35 Copper which is their take on an AC30, but the Duchess was such an instant dud for me.
Carvin Quad x preamp, Mesa studio 22. Could not get a usable sound out of either on if those.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
You sold every amp? What do you play through now?
I don't keep gear unless I use it regularly for gigging.
I'm gigging a Fractal FM3 into an FRFR (and IEMS) but I just took delivery of a Mesa Fillmore 25 which I LOVE. I have slight tube rattle so tube retainers on order, then I'm going to start gigging that and either build a small pedalboard or integrated the FM3.
Most likely build a small pedalboard and mic the Fillmore 25.

Albo K224

Marshall Studio Classic 20 watt head. The top end was shrieking and ear piercing madness.

Not what I had hoped for at all. I slapped a 12AY7 in V1 of a DSL20HR and found what I had hoped the Studio Classic would sound like.
I have a Mini Jubilee but was thinking of selling it for the SC20, but after your post not sure. Mini sounds great just a little darker. I've never heard the SC20 sound like my old 2204

Bluewail

Tone curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
The new loser is the Vox Bruno TB18c. Tried different speakers and tubes but it just sounded like cardboard. There is something weird about that cab. My previous top of the loser list was a Bruno Underground 30 2x12 I had that was wired ridiculously poorly.

gidude73

I've sold every amp I have ever owned. I've had a few suprises that were expensive and did NOT do it for me, maybe because they were not tuned properly or tubes or just not a good match:
  1. Fargen Blackbird combo - super boring, nothing like a great blackface Fender
  2. Fargen Miniplex v1 - I have it on good authority that this one was passed around on TGP for a long, long time. Hopefully someone got it upgraded to v2 specs
  3. Morgan Dag 15 head - this one was definitely passed around TGP lol...
  4. Fryette Pitbull 45 2x12 - wanted to love it but super sterile in the cleans, not a fan of the overdrive. There was major tube rattle I could not fix so returned to GC used
  5. Orange Dual Terror - two channels of meh
  6. Marshall JVM 215c - so close to being an awesome 2 or 2 1/2 channel amp; every deep mod you read about online probably gets the amp super close, but I was not willing to work on a relatively expensive one to get it sounding good.
  7. EVH 5153 - liked the green channel (although sterile), LOVED the Blue channel, Red channel sucked ass
  8. Valvetech Hayseed 15 Head - I know Rob had many mods and this must have been needing many, super plain jane. Very odd because I later had a VAC25 which was great (and a very early build)
  9. Vox AC30CC1 - stock, sounded like ****; Modded by Lyle Caldwell (Psionic Audio) sounded like a choir of angles. Very stupid sale!
  10. Fender Bassbreaker 15 - almost really cool, ended up being super annoying
  11. Marshall Mini Jube - had the matching cab and the head at least 2x, could not escape the raspiness. Close but no cigar.
  12. Fender Tonemaster DR - close but no cigar.
  13. Peavey Classsic 50 2x12 - old band talked me into trading in my beloved Mesa 50+ caliber; f*cking hated that jangley POS from Peavey although my closest to "making it" guitar playing was done using that crap amp. Never really forgave the band members LOL.

Sounds like me too. :facepalm

nolenuttt

Platinum Supporting Member
Gabriel Voxer-supposedly did Marshall and Vox-not even close....no, I didn’t play it in person first...

Shades of Blue

Silver Supporting Member
My biggest amp "uh oh" was the Mesa Mark V 25. I hated that amp, and I couldn't get anything out of it that I wanted.

Jonathan

Platinum Supporting Member
K&M Custom and Carr Rambler.

Not really the K&M's fault - it sounded exactly like what it was supposed to sound like, it's just I hated that sound. lol At the time I was still figuring out my own preferences for tones.

The Rambler just sounded really boxy to me.

dividedsky

Headstrong Lil King - My first boutique amp and by far the most expensive amp I had purchased at the time. Was expecting classic blackface tones and was super disappointed. I disliked it from the first chord. Had it for sale within a few days. Luckily got my money back and bought a PRRI for less the half the price which I loved.

Carr Mercury - Just not a good fit for me. I knew it right away. Had better luck with my other Carr purchases but none that stuck around. Too bad cause I think Steve Carr is a great guy and his amps are built as well as any ever made. Just not my thing.

Marshall JTM1c - First and last Marshall. I know this tiny combo isn't representative of all Marshalls by any means but I have no interest in the other models and this one was just not good at all.

DontheMon

I bought a BJ a few years ago I regretted once I was home. This was maybe my 3rd year doing somewhat daily playing. Sounded good in the store then honeymoon over. The boxiness was killing me, took me a while to figure out but no bonding with it really. I have since played that green one that has a Jensen P12Q that seemed good but...Store took it back and got a DRRI. I played that for about 3 years but kinda got tired and went down to a Pro Junior IV which has the kinda cleans I guess I like...I was able to get the Flint so it was my rational for getting the PJ IV. Certainly a quiter noise floor on the PJ with nicer preamp tubes in there...Cranked I like it some days, others it's a bit like angry hoarse duck. I was thinking of selling it the other day to get something else ha...

Sp8ctre

Silver Supporting Member
I drank the Kool-Aid of the internet Katana users and bought the 100 watt head. Worst thing I ever plugged into, couldn't dial in a decent sound
and I put a lot of effort into trying. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough...

IanRubbish

When the Peavey JSX first came out I was so stoked to get one, I thought Satch had the best tone. I got the JSX and it sounded like garbage, no matter what I did it sounded bad, and it was such a bummer. I sold it to fund deposit on rent for a room In a house with 3 of my lady friends which yielded some pretty nice results.

Dr. Tweedbucket

Deluxe model available !!!11
No real duds for me
Bought a Mesa stilleto on closeout at GC. Liked in the store, got some good tones at home, was ok at band practice first set, went back to my 2061 Marshall and a couple pedals for the second set and it obliterated the stilleto tonally. For my needs.
Had a mark 3 that sounded glorious but had an intermittent rhy2 channel

always really want to like boogies.
Never really get there in practical application
Same here, the Stilleto sounded generic with no little to no bass to me, uncharacteristic for a Boogie.
Mk IV was another. I got a good sound but in trying to improve it, I lost it and never found my way back to it. :cry:
Fender 75. It was an 80s factory hotrodded amp that was gainy and so compressed, it was on the edge of dying every time I turned it on.
Marshall JMC900 50watt High gain dual reverb. There was nothing high gain about it and the tone controls didn't do anything but just sit there basking in the sun. I think they were on strike. Buying a 1993 Mesa Dual Rectifier made me realize that I needed to dump that 900 and fast!

Trending Topics