1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

the most important tip I can give after 40 years in the hobby .....

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by finwhale, May 5, 2017.

1. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

For 10K I would do some listening personally, that's a lot of money-to me. But I also know a VPI classic would be a good place to start. If one is so naive as to not figure a few things out, to not believe everything they read- then good luck- it could get ugly. Of course sellers push their stuff, from the newest "makes fish bite" lure to speakers. That's not to say there isn't good advice out there- or excellent audio companies. All the info helps to narrow things down and then listen to the gear if possible. No one is forcing anyone to buy anything and the home stereo world is not a sea of used car salesman either. How did you listen to the Hagerman phono before you built it? jk
    Maybe you did but I bought one already built for small coin, a Bugle II, and it's good.

2. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

My two cents.
    Source material varies a great deal; not just in quality, but in the engineering choices made. There is no one perfect system, so don't chase a prize that doesn't exist.

soulohio likes this.
  3. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I do whatever Stereophile tells me, that is why I am buying an $11K power cord.

;)

4. OddJobb

OddJobb Member

So which 3 pair of speakers would you recommend, that are better than their price?

5. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

OK, I'll play the $10K system game.

Speakers are the most important thing. I have heard way more than most people because I'm an audiophile who worked as a recording engineer. I have heard a lot of speakers. I bought many of them from reviews or reputation without hearing them first. My most recent purchase was the same, bought them after doing a lot of research by reading reviews and looking at technical data/measurements.

I'd buy these again in a heartbeat: Revel Performa3 F208 List $5K per pair, purchase for $4K or under if you shop around.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/revel-performa3-f208-loudspeaker#EfIXKXSoeu4DcGdr.97

Next up, integrated amp from audiogon: Bryston B-135 SST2 $2,500. Or, I could get a Levinson 383 for about the same price.

So I've spent less than $7K, that leaves plenty for a good turntable and cartridge. Since I don't play records anymore, I'll have to do some research and find out what I'd buy to fit the budget.

Looks like this will do fine based on the Stereophile review: Pioneer PLX-1000: (including tonearm) $700

And this cartridge has had rave reviews for years: Sumiko Blue Point No. 2 Moving Coil Phono Cartridge $450

I'm in under $8K and it will sound great.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
    soulohio likes this.
  6. finwhale

finwhale Member

I just bought a pair of OHM 4 speakers for $350 yesterday - they sound incredible

they are omnidirectional and have no real cross over - its a full range driver with a cap to pass the super high end treble to a tweeter - ultra seamless - no nasty interactions or phase cancelations with multiple drivers

[​IMG]

iowa and soulohio like this.
  7. finwhale

finwhale Member

1) something like this will blow most $4000 speakers out of the water for 1/4 the price

http://www.critesspeakers.com/cornscala.html

2) the larger magnapan speakers sound real good provided you have the room and a very high current amp - the Quad electrostatics have the best vocals of any speaker

3) the audio note 2 ways are astounding as shown below -they don't LOOK special but they are

4) speakers based on ALtec 904 can be amazing

this info is not from reviews but from extensive first hand experience - if I was spending thousands one of the designs in the below photos is how I would spend my money - on the other hand maybe I don't know what I am talking about

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OddJobb likes this.
  8. finwhale

finwhale Member

this is a hobby where knowledge is power

I have a new set of speakers for $350 that sound better than some speakers I have heard in stereo shops for many times the price

same with my CD player - $35 bucks but sounds fantastic - how can this be ?

it works with a stepped ladder register network like the audio note dacs - not a SPI computer chip design - its much more analog sounding - google 1541 chip CD players

now if asked which speakers gave me the most musical involvement its the ALtec 904

Also speakers that use ACCUTON ceramic drivers from GERMANY can be just crazy good but $$$$

[​IMG]

9. finwhale

finwhale Member

For the low $$$ these sounded real good to me - people were laughing over how good they sound for the money

[​IMG]

OddJobb likes this.
  10. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

I wonder how much of this industry is sold in a Use Your Ears manner? Little of it is available for in person demos outside of a handful of cities. I'd bet much is sold online. How can I use my ears when no one sells it for 500 miles around?

GK72 likes this.
  11. soulohio

soulohio Member

these remind me of the PVC plastic tube speaker kits you can buy or buy already assembled that have a full range driver. All the money goes in the driver (and tweeter if it is crossed-over..)

here is a link to something similar:

https://www.passdiy.com/project/speakers/the-legend-of-el-pipe-o

the full range speakers I am thinking of are built in a vertical PVC pipe and are down-firing
    there are others that are top firing and also horizontally mounted...
    lots of choises there

12. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I haven't heard the Elac bookshelves....but the Elac floorstanding speakers were as good as the ones I've heard in the 2500 pair, for music. I didn't hear them with theater, but they were just really well defined.

13. Guitar Fixation

Guitar Fixation Supporting Member

Agreed that you need to listen with your ears, not your wallet. There is definitely a point of diminishing returns on speakers, but when you're spending $100K on a pair of Wilson Audio speakers, it's not just about the sound.

14. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Member

Very much about pride of ownership.

15. fe911

fe911 Supporting Member

One thing that I have learned over the years is that accuracy is overrrated. Systems, having owned a few, that are set up to attain the highest accuracy can be the most fatiguing and annoying.
    You end up choosing your music based on recording quality, not for the music. You will have a short period of enjoyment. It gets old, really fast. Too much information can be just as bad as too little.

Tony, rePlay and 2016aug29 like this.
  16. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

I stopped at an old marantz receiver and some wharfedale bookshelves. Good enough for a guy with one bum ear.

Chops, soulohio and Moby Dick like this.
  17. Mighty Melvin

Mighty Melvin Member

Now, there's individual experience for you. I had an original VPI and I didn't like it at all. It was built like a Chevelle 454, but it didn't sound so good.

18. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

Are you talking about the Classic 3, 4 or 5? That's what I'm talking about. Maybe someones less than preferred style but they will sound "good".

19. Mighty Melvin

Mighty Melvin Member

I'm talking original. Original original.

20. finwhale

finwhale Member

thats an interesting but true point

I have seen demos where the listener really likes the Beastie Boys ends up playing a Oboe quintet recording because of the fidelity

Chops likes this.