the most important tip I can give after 40 years in the hobby .....

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by finwhale, May 5, 2017.

1. Duffy Pratt

Duffy Pratt Member

Most I,portent tip I could give to anyone is to stop obsessing over the gear and focus on the music. Same goes on the non hifi side. There, it's less gear, more practice. Here, it's less gear, more listening.

2. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

necro thread. what you said is true. no system is perfect. i am really digging these bozak symphony's. i was using a conrad johnson tube pre with quad 909 power amp, sounds great. i subbed in the quad 99 pre, and it sounds better overall. the tubes were adding a little warm lush bloom which the bozaks don't need. love the cj, this system doesn't favor it. having bought all of this stuff used, my investment is small. in case you don't know the bozaks, these have two 12" woofers, one 5.5" mid, and a line array of 8 cone tweeters (2"?) first order crossovers in an infinite baffle enclosure. the mids and tweets have spun aluminum cones, the woofers are 50% wool and other secret slurry ingredients. all drivers made in house by bozak. in the '60's. 125 lbs. each. very musical indeed. they are replacing magnepan 1.7's, so it's not like i don't know what modern sound is like. the b's do sound more like music and less like "hifi". to me...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  3. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

The thing about it to me is that it's an experience. That's something that's been lacking in stereo gear. I like old 60s and 70s and some 80s stuff. That blue light is special, the needle dancing around on the VU meters... no it's not an indication of quality, and technology has surpassed the technology of when they were built, and time itself has not been kind to things.

Les Paul said "people hear with their eyes." It's true. The stuff I love was top notch stuff when it was built, but now... Mid-fi at best. But that isn't always the point- I like clarity, but I also like warmth. I have a Marantz 2325 and a Sansui 9090DB... but the one I really like listening to is the Pioneer SX838, but the TT input isn't as nice as on the Sansui or Marantz. My favorite speakers are Rectilinear III tall boys... I'm sure their response is nowhere near as tight and glorious as modern speakers, and it's a distinct possibility that the technology was suspect in their design... but I really dig them- starting from the grille cloth to the badge and to the overall sound and experience.

One last thing- From 1988 to around 2010, my speakers were Bose 301 and Bose 501s. I loved them until I found out on the internet that they sucked. I must've been pretending to like them... :rolleyes: I still use the 301s most of the time, I think I need to do some work on the 501s.

jnovac1 likes this.
  4. walnutprecision

walnutprecision Member

Wow, this is something I've had in the back of my mind for years. Not just for home audio, but for guitar gear, guitars, amps, pedals, basses and bass gear, P.A. stuff... the HYPE is often way more, to the point of massively over-rating things... compared to the actual using of said stuff, and the true to life experience of touching, using, listening, etc...

If I might say so... don't get me wrong, but forums like TheGearPage seem to offer a place to "READ" about stuff, and I think sometimes a lot of folks post "I've read" or "I've heard" such and such gear was great, but have never really used it, causing instances of even more unsubstantiated hype... I guess my only other miff would be the folks who are simply bedroom players, who offer seemingly professional level advice or opinions on some of these super expensive devices and gear... not to say their opinions are void, as some of the best YouTube demo videos are from guys playing the stuff into audio recording equipment... in their bedroom (or living room)... its just that sitting behind a computer, anyone can pretend to be anything they want, and say anything they want... which may or may not be accurate or authentic... my favorite way of saying it to folks is this little story... "the guy who has a garage band that played their daughter's 10th birthday party and now tells the world he's in a "gigging band"..." when actually he's by vocation a car salesman an attorney a clinical pschologist or maybe a sewer cleaner, who knows... but here he can pretend to be a gigging musician and give opinions about audio gear... haha... I think you get the point...

Still, after many decades in the business, my best purchases of anything audio-related (home, guitar, bass, amps, pedals, P.A.) is to view it in person, do a test drive at the local store, and make the buying decision that way...

Especially guitars... I refuse to ever buy another guitar from an online source. It doesn't matter what brand, they all can make clunkers (outside of single-man home luthiers, who tend to make stuff sound good because of the time they have to put into it...) -- but that doesn't exclude home shop luthiers, I can name one (which I won't name) that... pretty much fell apart and was a poop model, but folks tend to brag about how they are so great... so even the hand-made guitars can have poopers... (just much fewer than production models for sure)

The reason, human error. People being imperfect creatures can make mistakes. And the mistake gets shipped out the door, and sold to the customer.

My friend does home improvement work. He seems to trust the DeWalt brand for most of his power tools. Just recently he bough 2 different DeWalt pressure washers, from two totally different stores (he returned the first before buying the second) and both were lemons... this is not the "typical" for DeWalt, but it happens. But he didn't find out they were bad until he brought them home. No matter what he read, or had even experienced with the brand. Brand loyalty is a good thing, there are some brands of gear I refuse to buy because everything I ever got from them was lemons. Even reading up on stuff can be a good thing, but the absolute best way is to get the gadget in question in your hand and prove it to yourself.

The same goes with all devices made by man. None are perfect to an absolute degree. Even devices made nearly exclusively by robots... robot parts can fail, because they are man-made robots.

But ya' gotta get passed the hype, or "get over it"... and I guess if you want to buy stuff just for online bragging rights, and that's your thing as a bedroom players, etc... that's your bag, and that makes the world go around.

The one thing I've noticed in musical merchandising is the fallacy of "buy this model of (________fill-in-the-blank object) and you will sound just like (________fill-in-the-black with artist name)." i.e. endorsement buys/sales... man if you'd just put the same amount of YEARS into playing that thang that that person has, you WOULD sound just like him... the disappointment level brings it home, when someone actually gets suckered in by this type of marketing, and they realize they don't sound anything like the endorsed artist, LOL... but they "READ THAT THEY WOULD SOUND JUST LIKE THEM"... but in reality you only sound like you, and you sounds like poo, you still gonna sound like poo through that $5,000 dollar's worth piece of endorsed by somebody gear -- howbeit $5,000 dollars worth of lessons from a good teacher could possibly help (but then if you blow all that money on lessons and never practice, you'll still sound like poo)... haha

finwhale likes this.
  5. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

I love it. Great post, thanks for putting it up!

6. gr8gonzo

gr8gonzo Member

I love new technology - I think what we have available is simply amazing. BUT - I still have a soft spot for the home stereo gear I had back in the 70s / 80s. I still have a Harmon Kardon PM650 amp I bought new in the early 80s - it has a fair bit of sentimental value. Cost a fair chunk back then too. It hasn't worked properly for a long tome and was replaced with another HK in the 90s. I decided to spend the $$$ and get it fixed. Its now up and running again, all the indicator lamps have been replaced with LEDs, rebiased, a few caps replaced and a general service. Id forgotten how good it sounded. I was thinking about getting the latest & greatest class d surround blah blah blah but honestly - good stereo is fine with me.

Im not an "audiophile" by any stretch but I know what I like. Next is to dust off my old EV Interface 2 speakers, my AR turntable and maybe go full retro with the Thorn DCR1 cassette deck. Im still more than happy to stream my stored music collection and iTunes library too - not a complete troglodyte.