The most overrated guitar...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by popinvasion, Jun 2, 2015.

1. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

The Stratocaster. Like if you agree. If you disagree, why?

In all honesty Stratocasters are ok guitars. Certainly innovative at their introduction but I haven't played one newer than 1965 that was amazing. The modern(post 1965-ps Hendrix sounded the same on whatever he picked up imo) Stratocaster is blah imo. But it is still desired because of the heritage. To me they sound plinky and bland. Just ask Clapton :)

2. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

3. frankg11

frankg11 Member

Boring. trolling?

Doozy, custom53, istantodf and 4 others like this.
  4. popinvasion

Trolling as a response is the new "I'm incapable of engaging in a discussion" got it. Next.

5. popinvasion

If it's a tired thought then I imagine many agree with my sentiment.

6. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Strats are not overrated. They are ridiculously flexible in tone and relatively affordable to build up. This has made them rather ubiquitous, but that doesn't make them overrated as much as possibly over exposed, therefore popular, and then the haters come out.
    IMO, Gibsons are overrated as they are not as flexible and waaaay more expensive.

Doozy, stratter, slugworth and 3 others like this.
  7. popinvasion

I'm not a hater. I just think the "fender" built strats get a pass. I don't disagree that people like them. There's alot to like but the Strat has almost become a sacred cow and to me like I said I haven't played a stunner newer than 1965 but that's just me. Otherwise good points and no doubt Gibsons have a ton of free praise as well.

8. stephax

stephax Member

I don't get it. It's one of the most marvelous instrument ever designed. How can it be overrated ? Leo Fender was a genius !!!

dansworld, fretless, Evan_R and 5 others like this.
  9. popinvasion

As I said. It was an innovative guitar at introduction and Leo was a genius but the modern era fenders just get a pass too often. Nash makes a better Stratocaster than Fender does imo.

10. darkinners

darkinners Member

If you want to stir the TGP pot, you should've said Telecaster.
    That will make this a very long thread.

Or is this some kind of vendetta to that PRS lifeless post?

wwit likes this.
  11. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Post reported for excessive stupidity.

12. stephax

stephax Member

13. popinvasion

I own a PRS and I love it. That thread was not about my opinion but a recurring thought that I have seen/heard. As for the telecaster. I have already declared the Telecaster the best guitar ever made and I feel that way. That said I'd buy an LSL over a Fender.

Dr. Tweedbucket and fredgarvin like this.
  14. popinvasion

15. popinvasion

Stunning contribution you have there friend.

16. stephax

stephax Member

[​IMG]

Elduderino73 and grapeshot like this.
  17. popinvasion

now this I can't disagree with.

istantodf and fredgarvin like this.
  18. JPF

JPF Member

brain dead thread

kidmo, AParrotLooksAt4O and wwit like this.
  19. stephax

stephax Member

I mean, there's not a big gap between the first stratocasters and the recent production. Played a real 60 recently and, basically : it's the same guitar ! It's smells vintage guitar (old varnish and so on...) it feels different, 'cause of the dried woods etc, but in the end -and if you're lucky enough to play a good one- it is the same guitar !

jbxenon likes this.
  20. sidk47

sidk47 Member

Yes I have a modern player stratocaster with a mahogany bodied tonewood. But i still don't get that rich thick tone due to the cheap ass pickups on it. I'm OK with the strat but it's just that it doesn't sit on my lap properly at all. Have to use a foot stool on my right leg. Not a problem when standing up though. The output's really low thanks to the cheap ass pickups. Planning to put some zexcoils into it. That should revive it. I have already put locking tuners on mine. Planet wave auto trim locking tuners but when I use the vibrato bar, the tuning goes awry. Planning to upgrade to a Wilkinson tremolo with five springs. That's the thing about a strat, so many after market options to upgrade it. You'll get a great guitar on a budget if you buy it cheap and then upgrade everything. Or else you could just go to warmoth and build your own custom strat. Yes I prefer strats. But a modern take on an old classic is very much more desirable. Like the Ashburn classic. So gassing for one of those. And all this doesn't matter, because I don't really know how to play guitar. If it wasn't for all the music I hear and watch from my idols, I would have put it down and thought that it is impossible to master a plank of wood with six strings on it. I quit my job as a web developer to be the next big thing in the guitar world. Unfortunately things ain't working out as I don't really pick up my guitar that often. It's a dilemma. Yes the stratocaster is an over rated guitar but it has a lot of positives. It's action is low. I couldn't really get that type of action on my super strat ibanez. I really like the action. Asides from that, I don't know.