1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

The most perfect guitar, my Suhr Esquire

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by shallbe, Sep 29, 2006.

1. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some recent shots of my Suhr Esquire. I've owned a lot of guitars since the mid seventies, and I own morre than 10 electrics now. However, I have never owned an instrument so perfect in design, execution and performance. The shape of the neck (vintage C), the radius (9-12), the SS frets, the HARD finish, the smooth feel of the back of the neck, the great color, the quality of the rosewood, the Wilkinson bridge, the pickup. I just love this instrument.

It is not a one trick pony, but is somewhat sonically limited without the neck pickup. However, it is SO good like it is, I'm not going to change it in anyway. The piano-like bass strings, the physical response of the guitar are amazing. It is so good, I've never played a vintage Tele I liked this much. I adjusted the pickup height, but that was it.

I have nice custom Suhr classic as well (made to my specs), but this guitar (bought from Indoor Storm via their site) is in another league. Highest recommedation, FWIW.

2. HHB

HHB Member

that thing looks cool, whats the switch do again?

3. shallbe

The switch at pos. 1 gives you the pickup with no tone control--louder, brighter and more cutting, then pos. 2 with the tone control--which can be preset to a mellower tone, then pos. 3 with a resistor and cap in line that gives it a bassier tone (similar to the sound with the tone control rolled all the way off). I only use that last postion for dirty sounds---it's not great clean. The other two clicks are very useful/toneful.

4. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

That is one sweet axe...

Simplicity at its finest!

Is it just me or are the fretboard edges slightly scalloped ala. Tyler?

5. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Congrats! It is truely a wonderful feeling when one finds a guitar that is perfect for them

6. shallbe

No scalloping---I think the flash just accentuated how smooth the board is since I have been playing the crap out of it for the last few months.

7. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Once you flip that control plate around, it'll be perfect.

LOL!

8. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Suhr does normally roll the edges slighty:AOK

9. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Very cool instrument... I'm a tele man through and through, and would miss that neck pick-up... but damn that looks good. What'er we lookin at for woods on that bad boy?

-TJK

10. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

That's a beautiful guitar.

11. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Cool ax Steve....it's really great when you find a guitar that you really connect with :cool:.

However, even though I know that TONE is the name of the game, Suhr's headstock shape just never looked quite right to me.

12. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Wow thanks for the info dude, makes me want one all the more!

I'm still drooling over the tele!

13. shallbe

It has an alder body, maple neck with Indian rosewood board. I swear, the finish on the back of the neck is hard as a nail, and has zero drag, even when my hands are sticky.

14. shallbe

Well, when it comes to music, I'm not competitive at all so I never engage in those types of threads. I just meant to say this is a perfect execution of an Esquire---which is what I wanted---and a great fit for my needs/wants. This type guitar may be FAR from perfect for many. I was only soeaking for myself---sorry if that wasn't clear.

15. shallbe

I hear what you are saying.....but I wanted to show a shot of the whole guitar because, IMO, the headstock looks completely bad-ass on this instrument.

16. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

The Suhr headstock looks great to me

17. drolling

drolling Member

mmmm..beautiful..

I've stepped up to some pretty fancy guitars in recent years, but I always come back to my old tele, which started life 24 years ago as a 52RI, but is now totally personalized w/aftermarket p-ups, hardware, medium jumbo frets & a compound radius..

When I see a guitar like yours, I'm so tempted to take that final step & ditch the neck pickup. I'm convinced that Esquires are more lively & resonant without that extra magnet pulling on the strings.. To cut thru' the bass & drums, I'm always on the bridge, anyway.

That's it.. Gonna order a new pickguard tonight!

Thanks for the inspiration!!

18. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Great looking axe! :AOK

Does that guitar have a traditional block neck joint like you would find on a Fender.... or is it tapered as on most Suhr's?

19. shallbe

Right. My guitar is not tapered anywhere. No hand cut, tummy cut or arm cut. Traditional Esquire shape. I've never had any guitar this new that felt and responded this good. For example, the Suhr classic I custom ordered and recieved a year ago has matured nicely---but the Esquire was "there" and had "it" from the first day I plugged it in.

20. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

:AOK