The most revealing look at NAMM this year

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by scottkahn, Feb 25, 2012.

1. scottkahn

scottkahn Member

2. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

Nice job. I was surprised to see Charvel repeating history. It's just like the 80's all over again. First it was the stripped down superstrats then they adopted some of the Jackson styling. I just hope they don't become the bargain brand again and turn to crap like they did in the mid 90's.

Scott

3. John C

John C Supporting Member

I am also surprised to see Charvel doing the Soloist-style guitars - it makes me wonder what Fender is trying to do with the brands.

Going back to the beginnings of Charvel/Jackson, Grover decided to put his name on the neck-through guitars he was developing for Randy Rhodes and keep the Charvel name on the bolt-necks since they were taking off in the marketplace. Of course the Jacksons also took off once he introduced them, so he was making both lines. Threats from Fender of course led him to put the pointy headstocks on the Charvels.

The big change that moved the Charvel brand to "lower cost" status was when he took on investors to grow the business - part of that deal was to put the Charvel name onto MIJ imports while all USA guitars (both bolt-neck and neck-through) became Jacksons -and the company name officially changed from "Charvel/Jackson" to "Jackson/Charvel".

After Grover left the owners of Jackson/Charvel really blurred the lines - you had MIJ (then MIK and MI-who knows where) Charvels and you both USA and MIJ (then eventually MIK) Jacksons. Eventually the Charvel brand was retired; that happened prior to Fender's purchase of the companies.

I thought that Fender had something with their Charvel revival - Strat-head superstrats. Now I wonder why they are building a Charvel-branded guitar that I thought they were also producing under the Jackson name.

4. imastratoholic

imastratoholic Supporting Member

Very nice review. I've got to get to NAMM one of these years.

5. scottkahn

scottkahn Member

Actually, we were shocked by just how much the Charvel line exploded this year -- they had their own separate exhibit in addition to sharing space in the Fender booth, which got us asking our Fender contacts if there were some brand ownership change (answer: no). Going from a few SoCal models a year or two ago to now, it was shocking just how many production-line Charvels are now being made, and then when we saw the Soloist models... hey, many of us grew up in the late 80s, so it stopped us in our tracks.

6. RockHardGuitars

RockHardGuitars Silver Supporting Member

I recently bough a Charvel Custom Shop Hard Tail with 2xDuncans, and ready for this.....an ebony fingerboard! The guitar is Ferrari Red, the Binding is red, the inlay dots are red. The guitar weighs 6 lbs and sounds amazing. I always loved Charvel back in the 80's. This new one I got is a step above. I have to admit. But it was not cheap. Asking price was $2600.00. I guess not terrible for a custom shop instrument. If anyone wants to see some pics, let me know.

7. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Nice write-up and thanks for the reviews, but somebody spelled Jimi Hendix's name, "Jimmy."

8. scottkahn

scottkahn Member

Ha -- good catch. Damn drums editor :p. Will get that fixed tomorrow.

9. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

and here I thought by the title this would be pic's of the booth babes with the skimpiest costumes.

10. scottkahn

scottkahn Member

Watch our very first NAMM video on the page... you'll get some skin.
    :)

11. soulohio

soulohio Member

Let's see some pics!

12. Jesus freak

Jesus freak Supporting Member

Yeah, pics!!

13. whitehall

whitehall Member

It's okay. I give it a C+.