The most 'Strat' sounding noiseless p'ups for a Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bard2dbone, Mar 9, 2015.

1. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

Hey guys.

My Strat is a MIJ '88 or so Standard model that I've modded intro submission over the years. For a long time it was perfect for me. But I made it like the ones I liked when I got it.

It's got locking tuners, GraphTek nut and saddles, custom switching, and a Lace Sensor Red-Silver-Blue p'up set.

I think it's time to update it. The black pearl pickguard is going away, to be replaced by a nice red tort 'guard. I will go with the most versatile switching configuration I can get away with while looking stock.

And now the tricky part. The pickups: The Lace Red-Silver-Blue is a great set. Don't get me wrong. But it leans pretty hard toward the alternative and funk that my old band played when I got the Strat. Nowadays, my ears seem more calibrated to stuff from blues, to southern rock, to basically classic rock, maybe up to Dire Straits or so.

I love the lack of hum from the Lace Sensors. But they REALLY don't sound like classic Strat pickups.

So what do you all recommend for a very 'Stratty' pickup set for a Strat? I got a few mentions for Wildes. But they never said whether they would have the traditional single coil hum. That's the only part I don't want from that old original Strat tone.

So. Recommendations, guys?

2. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

The new Fishman stuff seems pretty great sounding. Nick Falbo had a hand in the design...

3. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I really like the Dimarzio Areas...especially the 67

4. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Supporting Member

Kinmans (particularly the low and medium output ones, I like the medium output "blues" set) sound very much like alnico singlecoils. I like Bardens a lot, thought thy don't sound exactly like stock alnico pickups. I've tried Dimarzio Areas and I've tried all the Fender noiseless variations - but to my ears the Kinmans sound the most like stock alnico singlecoils among what I've tried. I have not tried the Wilde - Bill Lawrence ones or the Zexcoils yet.

5. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

I like Fender Vintage Noiseless. Chime, quack and everything in between

6. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

I'm not shopping for noiseless or strat right now, and haven't for a while. But when I was, the Bill Lawrence (wilde) 280s series that I used were very good. And when you also consider price, they were fantastic.

7. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Vendor

Me, too. The Areas are very single-coil sounding.

8. jefrobie

jefrobie Supporting Member

Kinman or Dimarzio area's

9. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

The Wildes that I had recommended to me earlier were Microcoils. Are they and/or the 280's hum free? I want noiseless. But I do want all the other old Strat sounds, the chime and quack as it was phrased earlier.

10. LReese

LReese Member

Its Frank Falbo...

They're nice sounding pickups.

If you can't deal with a battery and can spare the cash, one of the Ilitch solutions and your favorite singles.

11. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

DiMarzio Area '58 & '61 works for me!

12. ballhawk

ballhawk Supporting Member

Microcoils are technically not hum free but they are quieter than anything else imho. Go to the "yuku" forum for more info on them.

True noise free are 280's and you may like the 200 series better for more "traditional" strat sound.

13. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

I must try some of those DiMarzio Area's at some point in time. Love my Strats, love my single coil tones….hate the hum.

14. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I'm like a broken record, but the Fender Hot Noiseless set is excellent.

15. peskypesky

peskypesky Member

:aok

16. telewacker

telewacker Member

They are great pickups but not vintage sounding.

The best solution, f you want vintage sounding pickups, is to get the pickups you like and then install the Illitch Back Plate Noise Cancelling System. It works with any true vintage style single coils. Noiseless pickups are at best close to vintage sounding, but only vintage style pickups with the external noise cancelling system will sound like vintage single coils, because you are in fact using vintage style single coils.

17. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

+1 for the Illitch!
    I triad many mentioned in this thread DiMarzio, Kinman, etc. and they sounded good until I A/B them with the real deal. The Illitch system get's about 80% of the noise with is enough to record in from of a computer screen while maintaining the original tone.

18. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

The OP never used the term "vintage". He said he wanted classic Strat tones, but noiseless. Listen to that clip PeskyPesky posted.......sounds pretty Stratty in all 5 positions to me!

19. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

I've got Kinman Woodstock + pickups in a Grosh that I bought used--Kinmans came already installed. LOVE them; exactly the sound I want to hear.

20. rummy

rummy Member

Dimarzio Areas for me.