the most transparent dist., and a vintage marshall pedal.... HELP!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mcormier, Aug 12, 2005.

1. mcormier

mcormier Guest

ok i dont really have many pedals... i have a compressor and a wah pedal up to date... i am looking to get kind of a plexi/ JTM45 sounding dist. pedal and then another dist. pedal (which must the most transparent dist.) to boost the gain of my vintage marshall sounding pedal. also i would use the gain boost with my clean sound... i want my sound to be exactly as my clean but with dist. over it...

i play handmade boutique pedals... id like my board to stay that way...

any suggestions on any or the 2 dist.

2. gsf

gsf Member

There are many options. The Lovepedal COT 50 is great for 50watt plexi , . For the the jtm45, many people associate a Rangemaster design, though not equated in my mind, except in certain contexts. I also use Retroman Sybil which is Germ./Si fuzzface with parallel and series ability. Keeley Rat occasionally, but the sleeper to me (and here, only me) is the Jeckyll and Hyde- they are everywhere, so they are easy to audition. Boutique is in the ears.

3. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

What's the deal with your vintage Marshall? Too loud and you can't crank it? I guess you could buy the COT50 and make your vintage Marshall sound more like a cranked vintage Marshall, but I think that pedal sounds best with an amp that already breaking up a little. Is that the case?

4. gsf

gsf Member

You're right Phil M - amp has to be 'on edge' for the COT.
    Also , I think the COT50 is better to drive the dist, than the other way around.

People here like th Klon and the Tim

5. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

If he's already got an old Marshall but volume is the issue, I'm tempted to say just get a power break and some sort of overdrive or distortion pedal for when he wants more dirt.

6. jimlin

jimlin Guest

Re-read his initial post... he wants the boost pedal to drive his "vintage Marshall sounding pedal" (which he needs to find/buy still)....

So I'm guessing he has some relatively clean amp that he can't get old Marshall tones from...

I'm in the same boat. My Holland Lil Jimi is supposedly based on the Bassman AND JTM45 (a "sweep" knob goes from Fender to British). But it's a relatively clean machine, running two 6L6GCs. I also use a Peavey Delta Blues (1x15) with an Emi Big Ben, and that clean channel is nice and warm, but really clean. I'd love to find the right pedal to stick in front of either of those amps to give me the old Marshall tone (not any modern metal stuff).

Need to try out the Menatone pedals if I can find them in stores. The Blue Collar has been recommended here and elsewhere, along with the lovetone, etc

7. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Whoops, you're right, Jim.

Then, yes COT50 all the way. So many choices for additional gain on top of that.

8. mcormier

mcormier Guest

the cot50 might not work as i have an extremely clean amp...with tons of headroom...

here are a few pedals i had in mind as a vintage marshall in a box :KOB (6 knobs), HBE Big D, keeley rat and carl martin plexitone

as far as gain boost pedals... heres what i had in mind : hotcake (which isnt really a boost... but can be used as one), AC booster, RC booster

9. VanStone

VanStone Member

I'm a big fan of the CM PlexiTone - I used to run one in front of a Peavey Classic 50 Head. Its tone is very convincing.

You may find the extra pedal for added gain isn't necessary. The CM-PT has two channels: a "crunch" channel for your classic Plexi - crunchy tones, and a "lead" channel that will get you a JCM800 type of tone. It has a built-in clean boost to boot.

Best,
    V